Retro Game Challenge!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Retro Game Challenge!

Welcome to week 3!

The Rules:
So far we have only been using MAME to play the games, but that can change.
To enter, you just play one of the games and post a screenshot with your score.
The deadline to post your high scores will be midnight Sun. night/Mon. morning Eastern US time.
When you post a high score, make sure to pick a new game to play by Monday. The sooner the better.
Please don't use continues or savestates for any scores you submit.
I am going to host the current roms and list of all the past winners and high scores here.

The Games:
Journey - Final High Score: Mordred 75300

Scramble - Final High Score: Roto 30980

Popeye (Revision D) - Final High Score: devilshalo 74120

The Prize:
Whoever gets the high score for one of the games picks the next game that replaces it, so we should always have 3 to choose from. The game should be over 10 years old and hopefully easy enough for everyone to get running. You also get your name engraved with a genuine Sharpie on this eye catching trophy!

Week 3 Winners:

Last edited by Roto; 08-29-04 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-02-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To get things rolling, here is my very beatable entry for Frogger

Note my humiliating death on the bottom lane
Old 08-02-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those are pretty lame versions though. You can get the real thing at playagain.net.
Old 08-02-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oooo! OK... I'm in!

*procedes to ruin eyes by staring at tiny version of Frogger*
Old 08-02-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jmj713
Those are pretty lame versions though. You can get the real thing at playagain.net.
I don't deny the lameness of the java option, and encourage everyone to use MAME instead. I just don't want to get the thread locked in case DVDtalk is afraid of legal issues. I'd be happy to host the 3 selected roms myself (I have nearly all the MAME roms and tons of console roms if someone wants to choose an old console game) and brief instructions for MAME if the mods ok it. I don't think this would get popular enough for it to really be a problem.
Old 08-02-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yie Ar Kung Fu

Got Blues down to 2-3 health like 4 times, couldn't finish the job. Stupid ass starts going ape on me w/ his kicks.
Old 08-02-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bigsoos
Yie Ar Kung Fu

Got Blues down to 2-3 health like 4 times, couldn't finish the job. Stupid ass starts going ape on me w/ his kicks.
Well, you kicked my butt, but I only gave it one try on that little java emulator. I think I got 104000 when I tried it. But I plan on trying again with mame now that I have something to shoot for.
Old 08-02-04, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OK, here's my Galaga score, just to get one posted. I can break 100,000 but I never got significantly farther than that
Old 08-02-04, 07:41 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
count me in
Old 08-02-04, 08:13 PM

New high score:

Old 08-02-04, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Java Frogger is disqualified. I just tried it and it seems to give you infinite frogs If anyone needs help getting mame running you can email me.

Nice score bigsoos! That must've taken a while. Argh! I can't beat Club!

Last edited by Roto; 08-02-04 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-03-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Roto
Java Frogger is disqualified. I just tried it and it seems to give you infinite frogs If anyone needs help getting mame running you can email me.
I thought I was doing a little too well...

OK... here's my second attempt at Galaga in the last decade, using MAME.

Totally pathetic... but now I have something to aim for! (besides the alien bastards trying to destroy my ship)

Edited to add my next attempt... I'll get you yet!

Last edited by cheapskate; 08-03-04 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-04-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're getting close to the point where it gets really difficult and then at level 10 it gets easy again for a while, so you're closer than you think. You just better hope das monkey doesn't decide to try.

I don't think anyone's gonna beat bigsoos at Yie Ar Kung Fu. I think Blues is the last guy and then it starts over, so he's getting pretty far.
Old 08-04-04, 12:24 AM

I don't think anyone's gonna beat bigsoos at Yie Ar Kung Fu. I think Blues is the last guy and then it starts over, so he's getting pretty far.
I got really lucky and had like 3 perfects during my run. I'll prolly never beat that score.
Old 08-04-04, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to be considerably better, but this is a start.

124290 on Galaga. That score should've been at least 6k higher even without going any further, but I forgot the pattern for Challenge Board 11

I used to know a guy that had a cheat for Galaga. There's one alien that you're not supposed to shoot until everything else is dead, and then none of the ships will fire at you for the rest of the game. I never did figure out which one it was, and he would never show me. (It's on the first or 2nd board, he'd never start a game unless there was no one around to see him do it)
Old 08-04-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From playagain.net:

The game 'rolls over' at 999,990 points. The player 1 score counter is six digits, but the player 2 counter is seven digits. Therefore, most good players start a 2 players game and play exclusively on the player 2 side so their score won't 'roll over' at 999,990. After the 1,000,000 mark, new ships are no longer awarded.

The game 'rolls over' after stage 255. After finishing the 255th level, the screen says 'Stage 0' and the machine locks up.

If you have more than 7 extra men, the marker for the screen will only show 7 1/2 (!) men remaining. Additional extra men will still be credited, even though they won't show on the screen.

A Galaga unit appears in the 1983 movie 'WarGames', in the 1984 movie 'The Karate Kid' and in the 1987 movie 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles'.

- TIPS AND TRICKS -

* Easter Egg :
1) Enter service mode.
2) Keep B1 pressed and enter the following sequence : Right(x5), Left(x6), Right(x3), Left(x7). '(c) 1981 NAMCO LTD.' will be added at the bottom of the screen.

* Enemy Stop Shooting : On the first stage, kill everything but the two bees in the bottom left corner. Then just wait, dodging the bees' shots, until the bee no longer drops any shots towards you. After the bees stop firing, let it pass for 2 more trips and then kill them. For the rest of the game, the enemies will not drop shots. It will take approximately 15 minutes for the bees to quit shooting at you, so this trick requires a lot of patience. Note : In a 2-player game, only one person has to do the cheat for both players to benefit. But as soon as 1 of the players game is over the bees begin shooting again.

* (BUG) Take The Control Of The Ship For Free : During the Galaga demo, the Galaga character comes down and tries to tractor-beam up the player's ship. As soon as that tractor-beam starts, the player can take control of the ship in the demo. The player has two choices here and this will effect how the game handles this bug : If the player allows himself to be captured, the demo will continue as normal and he has the option of controlling the player ship or not. The player can choose whether to save the captured ship, try to complete the level, etc. The demo mode will complete after 30 seconds and the high-score screen will appear. If the player takes control of the ship and destroys the Galaga with the tractor beam, some of the characters on the screen will freeze while others are still moving and doing what they are suppose to be doing. This will last 15-20 seconds, then the game will go to the high score screen.

* Challenging stages are easier if the high score numbers are used to refine your aim. These tips assume a 6-digit high score :
1) On the first 2 challenging stages, aim your ships so that your left set of bullets falls between the second and third numbers in the high score list.
2) On subsequent challenging stages, aim one set of your bullets between the first and second numbers in the high score list (if the units come from the left) or between the last and next-to-last numbers (if the units come from the right). This will allow you to hit descending enemies at the highest possible point.

* Here Is A neat (and useless) Galaga Trick : It is possible to end the game with a 200% ratio. The 200% hit-miss ratio trick can only be done with your first shot of the game. When the game starts, don't move, and fire only one shot. If you time it correctly, two enemies will be killed at once. Let your remaining ships be destroyed, and presto : a better-than-perfect result.
Old 08-04-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I beat my Frogger score, but I'm still dying on the same level. I think one week is long enough (Frogger is pissing me off), so we'll declare winners on Monday and let them pick new games. If someone is disappointed that they missed out on Galaga then they'll just have to get the high score on Jungle Hunt to bring Galaga back (though preferably one of the odd variations)

bigsoos, you can probably start thinking about what you want to play next week You aren't quite in the league of the scores I saw at marp.retrogames.com, but I don't think any of those people are here.

I almost beat Club

Last edited by Roto; 08-04-04 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-04-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If someone is disappointed that they missed out on Galaga then they'll just have to get the high score on Jungle Hunt to bring Galaga back (though preferably one of the odd variations)
I'll be the first to admit... I am sucking at these games!

I tried a round of Galaga and couldn't make it anywhere near my
previous "high" score...

Does the lowest posted scorer get a vote? I'd like to sway at least a little Jungle Hunt or Kung Fu Master action my way!
Old 08-04-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If Frogger is so unpopular that I somehow end up with the high score, I promise you right now I will pick Jungle Hunt. I think your best hope if you can't win is to beg

In other news, I beat Club! Look out bigsoos! I also got a perfect against Sword.

TonFun kicked my ass

Last edited by Roto; 08-04-04 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-04-04, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Where's my trophy?

D
Old 08-05-04, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not bad, but I'm betting that score doesn't hold up over the weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if both the Galaga and Frogger scores get doubled. Still that's pretty impressive with all the multitasking you have going on there at almost 1:00 AM

You can take a screenshot in mame by pressing F12 and it will put the file in the "snap" folder.
Old 08-05-04, 08:54 AM

bigsoos, you can probably start thinking about what you want to play next week You aren't quite in the league of the scores I saw at marp.retrogames.com, but I don't think any of those people are here.
I almost beat Club
good lord, 9.999.900?!?
Old 08-05-04, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't deny the lameness of the java option, and encourage everyone to use MAME instead. I just don't want to get the thread locked in case DVDtalk is afraid of legal issues. I'd be happy to host the 3 selected roms myself (I have nearly all the MAME roms and tons of console roms if someone wants to choose an old console game) and brief instructions for MAME if the mods ok it. I don't think this would get popular enough for it to really be a problem.
Can't get anything from playagain. What am I doing wrong? Reply to [email protected] if you think it will pose a problem. Thanks
Old 08-05-04, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Step by step instructions for www.playagain.net
Click "M.A.M.E." link on the left column
Click "Rechercher un jeu / Find a game" link
type the name of a game, like "galaga"
You will get a list of results, click the one you want
At the bottom of all that mumbo jumbo you will see links to zip files. You will want to download the "set:" and the "Set parent requis:"

When you click on the zip file it takes you to a new page that says the download will start in 10 seconds. Save the files in the roms folder of your mame installation.

You might notice another zip file for samples. You don't need those to play the game, those are just sounds they couldn't emulate, so they recorded them. If you download the samples you put that zip file in the samples folder.
Old 08-05-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I get to the point where I'm waiting ten seconds, but keep getting this message:

"Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable"

Is it just my bad luck?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.