Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anime Box Set Question

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anime Box Set Question

Old 08-01-04, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anime Box Set Question

Just wanted to know if most anime DVDs come in box sets after the individual DVDs are released? I'm looking to pick up Witch Hunter Robin but might wait for a box set so that it might be a little cheaper than buying each individually. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-04, 12:18 AM

For the most part not if the company made a box to hold the individual discs...
Old 08-02-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It wont be cheaper. especially not for witch hunter robin. Bandai is a bitch like that.

But in the case for witch hunter robin, The first disc came with the box, a shirt and a shotglass. it was limited in numbers if I recall so I'm not sure if Bandai would actually go back and print a non-limited run of boxes to house the entire series. Best buy has the titles for 19.99 each, It doesn't seem like you will get cheaper then that unless you hit up used stores and the such. As for the box.. it's tough and expensive to get ahold of.
Old 08-02-04, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Some do. Some don't.

It's pretty annoying really. I bought Steel Angel Kurumi Vols. 1-5 for $14.99 each from DDD as they came out, but skipped the last two volumes (actually those two are a shorter sequel series with some different characters and setting). Now I see I can either complete my collection with those last two volumes for a total of $29.98 OR buy the entire series in a recently released 7 disc boxset for $35.99.

Meanwhile I've held off on buy any of the Rahxephon discs in hopes of an upcoming set at a good price. I don't want to get burned again- but so far no word of a complete set coming out.

You may want to keep an eye on www.animeondvd.com as they are very good with keeping up with news on anime titles. Also I've found deepdiscountdvd (linked at the top of every forum page) usually has some great prices anime titles. Edit: In fact, it looks like they've got WHR for $17.99 each- two bucks cheaper than the Best Buy price listed in this thread.

Last edited by Tscott; 08-02-04 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-02-04, 01:28 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think Bandai will gonna release a boxset version of WHR in the next couple of years since it's one of the hot titles for them. Some studios do re-release their series but likely in a 'brick' - a thick keepcase with many compartments for the individual discs - instead of the individual keepcases in an artbox (Steel Angel Kurumi comes to mind).

Btw, Bestbuy is having 20% off all anime this week. You can order WHR for $15.99 each after discount - two bucks cheaper than the DDD price listed in this thread
Old 08-02-04, 03:32 PM

Best Buy for me then on picking up the set. Also hoping for a Rahxephon box set at a good price.
Old 08-02-04, 03:42 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Skull, if you want WHR vol .1 /w LE artbox, you will have to order online since most BB stores no longer stock them.

For Rahxephon, go get the movie version with artbox that came out 2 weeks ago, then go get the individual volumes of the series which will fix in the new artbox. Forget the original vol. 1 /w Artbox + T-shirt which costs you more and that old artbox sucks.
Old 08-02-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't watch the Rahxephon movie before you watch the series. It will be confusing and it contains spoilers for the series. Rightstuf.com has some good weekly deals, as well as some daily deals. Check out the anime thread in the bargains forum for these deals. The ADV titles, such as Rahxephon and Noir, are often part of the daily deal(I picked up 3 volumes of Rahxephon for a total of $32 shipped). DDD has WHR and Rahxephon for $17.99 each. If you can wait until their next big 20% off sale, then they will be only $14.39 each shipped.
Old 08-02-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am sooo tempted to pick up InuYasha with their 20% off but it is still too danged expensive!

Sam
Old 08-02-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by eau
Skull, if you want WHR vol .1 /w LE artbox, you will have to order online since most BB stores no longer stock them.

For Rahxephon, go get the movie version with artbox that came out 2 weeks ago, then go get the individual volumes of the series which will fix in the new artbox. Forget the original vol. 1 /w Artbox + T-shirt which costs you more and that old artbox sucks.
I totally second the Rah recommendation from eau. The new box they released is so much better than the original box that came with vol 1. Way sturdier and better design. And it doesn't come with a crappy thin white t-shirt that you will never wear.

The WHR box is totally worth getting also. It is a well made box and if you get the individual volumes now you can get the mini "cels" that come with them. I doubt if/when they release a box set they will have them with it.
Old 08-02-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I forgot to mention that it has been reported that there is a problem with the Japanese audio track for the Rahxephon movie. However, it has also been reported at the Otakon that ADV Films will be offering a disc exchange. The source of this info is on the animeondvd.com forum boards.
Old 08-02-04, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by eau
Where can I order it online? Couldn't find it anywhere except at Amazon.com for like $100!
Old 08-02-04, 10:07 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Skull
Where can I order it online? Couldn't find it anywhere except at Amazon.com for like $100!
Can't find an etailer that still have the LE in stock. However, dvdboxoffice.com still lists it but their online inventory is never accurate. You may want to check with them. Otherwise, you may likely get one for less than $100 at ebay.
Old 08-02-04, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
On ebay you will be paying around $70 for it.

since it was limited and all it is hard to come by at a B&M and most online e-tellers charge around 59-69 for it.

Here is something I found interesting:

Comic Party at best buy is $63.99 for the box (without cel penciled slide on cover) but it has all four disc and the box is colored.

Comic Party Vol 1 w/ empty box and Cel colored box slide is $25.99

You add the other three disc at 19.99 each and pretty much you paid $85+ or you could go for the prepackaged 4 pack at $63.99

Shows you how anime is always a tough thing to buy.
Old 08-02-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
It wont be cheaper. especially not for witch hunter robin. Bandai is a bitch like that.
And how!
They are certainly kicking my @ss with the Ghost In The Shell TV Series. I bought the Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex (Vol. 1) Limited Edition (DD5.1 DD + DTS DVD + Audio CD) online, ignorantly thinking it was the version that came with a box for the rest of them. But nope! And it looks like they will have a limited version like this for the rest of the volumes. At $33 a pop, it's expensive!! I could care less about the CD, only a few songs are good (I can't stand that Japanese 80's rock, but the female choir and electronic stuff is good), but I wanted the DTS DVD, which I guess I'll be paying through the nose for. Probably will wait for another DDD.com super sale to collect the rest.
Old 08-02-04, 11:48 PM

since it was limited and all it is hard to come by at a B&M and most online e-tellers charge around 59-69 for it.
The LE box set isn't worth it, I could get 5 of the DVDs to equal just 1 DVD + LE stuff.
Old 08-02-04, 11:58 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Darqleo, are you aware that the GitS:SAC Vol. 1 LE has a defective Japanese DTS? The rear left channel is nearly non-existent. Bandai acknowleged the problem and will probably come up with a solution (exchange program) later.

To add to the insult, the soundtrack CD that comes with the Vol. 1 LE has improper track cuts placed on the CD. Bandai has declined to officially comment on this issue.

Folks at animeondvd forum are spectulating that one of the later LE volumes may contain an artbox. Hope Bandai/Manga are listening.
Old 08-03-04, 12:25 AM

Yeah, Bandai screwed that release up. It's too bad too, because otherwise I'd be picking it up with the Best Buy sale.
Old 08-03-04, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

eau, no I didn't know about that. Now I really feel hosed!!!

That ties a knot in it. It's the regular editions from now on.

F !!!!
Old 08-03-04, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The LE box set isn't worth it, I could get 5 of the DVDs to equal just 1 DVD + LE stuff.
yup, but the completist in us all want a shot glass and a shirt.

the thing is that it was always pretty pricey. the MSRP was either 49.99 or 59.99 for it off the bat.
Old 08-03-04, 03:13 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ZakVTA
Yeah, Bandai screwed that release up. It's too bad too, because otherwise I'd be picking it up with the Best Buy sale.
Why not picking it up now with the 20% off at BB? Bandai has been very good with customer services and had good exchange programs for previous defective titles anyway. They may not do a recall from the retailers and you might still get stuck with a defective disc even if you buy later.
Old 08-03-04, 11:53 AM

Re: Anime Box Set Question

Bandai has already announced a WHR boxset, MSRP $149.99. Don't recall the release date off-hand.

To answer your question, I assume that if a series sells well, it'll be re-release as a boxset eventually. It really depends on the studios, some like RightStuf and CPM announces their boxsets ahead of time, other studios you just have to wait and see.

Just wanted to know if most anime DVDs come in box sets after the individual DVDs are released? I'm looking to pick up Witch Hunter Robin but might wait for a box set so that it might be a little cheaper than buying each individually. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-03-04, 12:00 PM

The MSRP was $59.99 and at most e-tailers that I frequent were selling that at their usually discount.

Here is something I found interesting:

Comic Party at best buy is $63.99 for the box (without cel penciled slide on cover) but it has all four disc and the box is colored.

Comic Party Vol 1 w/ empty box and Cel colored box slide is $25.99

You add the other three disc at 19.99 each and pretty much you paid $85+ or you could go for the prepackaged 4 pack at $63.99

Shows you how anime is always a tough thing to buy.
Why is this a surprise? Aren't people who are early adopters always the one to pay more? It wasn't like the boxset was a surprise either, it was announced when vol. 1 was announced.

Last edited by codecomplete; 08-03-04 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-03-04, 12:03 PM

Don't forget the music CD. Should we ask the people who bought the CD individually how much they paid for it? Import CDs can't be that expensive.

yup, but the completist in us all want a shot glass and a shirt.

the thing is that it was always pretty pricey. the MSRP was either 49.99 or 59.99 for it off the bat.
Old 08-03-04, 02:11 PM

Re: Re: Anime Box Set Question

Originally posted by codecomplete
Bandai has already announced a WHR boxset, MSRP $149.99. Don't recall the release date off-hand.
Anyway you could provide a link? Thanks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.