DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Two Questions about burning DVD's

Oreamnos
08-01-04, 07:25 AM
First of all, Hello everyone at DVD Talk!

Second, I searched the forums but couldn't find any info about my 2 questions.

Question 1
Currently I am living in Korea with my wife. We have set the settings on her DVD player (Mac iBook) to Region 3. I have left the settings on mine set to Region 1. I want to make a copy of a workout DVD for her. The DVD is set to Region 1. If I burn a copy for her will the DVD retain its original region encoding or will that info not be passed on to the new copy?

Question 2
I was recently told by a friend that I could burn photos, music, files, etc.. on to a DVD-R disc. Is this true and is there any issue of quality loss? Also, are the region encodings set for that?

More info: I will be buring the DVD's using an iMac Superdrive. My current DVD Region setting is set to 1.

Thanks in advance!
Oreamnos

twikoff
08-01-04, 07:30 AM
I'll assume your talking about a workout dvd that you made yourself. Because obviously you wouldnt be discussing copying copyrighted material.

1. region encoding will stay the same
2. yep, you can burn pretty much anything to a dvd+-r. and no there wouldnt be any quality loss.. why would you expect any quality loss? :hscratch:

Oreamnos
08-01-04, 07:35 AM
twikoff, thanks for the quick reply.

I was concerned about quality loss because DVD-R discs are so big (4.7Gb) in comparison to regular CD-R discs. Why doesn't everyone just use DVD-R discs for backing up files? So I figured there must be a trade off.

Oreamnos

twikoff
08-01-04, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Oreamnos
twikoff, thanks for the quick reply.

I was concerned about quality loss because DVD-R discs are so big (4.7Gb) in comparison to regular CD-R discs. Why doesn't everyone just use DVD-R discs for backing up files? So I figured there must be a trade off.

Oreamnos

the reason they didnt use them.. is because by now, everyone has a cdrw.. where dvdrw drives are still making their way to the market place.. havent been completely adopted yet
cdr disks are practically free if you pay attention to any rebates.
where just a month or so ago, dvdr disks were around a dollar each.. now they are coming down drastically, but everyone still hasnt jumped on the bandwagon..

Oreamnos
08-01-04, 07:44 AM
Cool! Thanks for the info