Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

So I try out the "Star Wars Galaxies" 14 day free trial...(an MMORPG reflection)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

So I try out the "Star Wars Galaxies" 14 day free trial...(an MMORPG reflection)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-04, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And promptly quit after 45 minutes... Mind you the game looks AWESOME but after killing rats for 30 minutes I felt like I was playing Everquest all over again.

I played EQ for about 2 years and had great fun while it lasted. In the end for me it felt more like a job, more like a gigantic chat room with characters wearing gear. And never mind the high level raids...Waiting 2 hours for everyone to show up for a 10 minute fight

Now that I have a new computer I would like to try another MMORPG but which one?

City of Heroes sounds original and refreshing but from what I've read it's only fighting and fighting. No economy, no crafting? Sure you can create a unique looking hero but won't you find hundreds of other players with the same powers as you?

I'm no Blizzard fan-boy but World of Warcraft got me curious. Their "player death" policy is original. You become a ghost, you travel faster to get your corpse and "living " players can't see you. Without exp penalty.

Anyway, what are your opinions on MMORPG's? I would love to hear feedback from players who play or beta-test the games!

Or maybe I'm just too tired and bored with killing rats

Cheers!
Old 07-31-04, 07:30 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Is there a way to do that 14-day trial without being a member of Fileplanet?
Old 07-31-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got it on Gamespot Groucho. Dunno if you gotta be a "complete" member to download though. It took me an hour to download it on cable.

EDIT: you don't need to be a Gamespot complete member! However you need to register your free account with Gamespot. So go ahead and kill those rats for me will ya?

Last edited by Darkfriend; 07-31-04 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-01-04, 01:52 AM
Suspended

I hate most Online RPG's. Everquest was all about killing rats - "EEEK! A SNAKE! It just killed me!"

Booooooring!

Star Wars was just the same thing. I wanna get in there, start swinging a lightsaber and killing stormtroopers for the good of the alliance! But no, we're back to killing Womp Rats.

Booooring!

City of Heros, on the other hand is SO much diffrent. There's nothing to get between me and beating the crap out of some thug. No rats, no snakes, no I gotta spend all afternoon making a bag to unlock my Jedi potential.

No, just sweet, sweet justice. It's great!

As for the same powers as you - sure there are the same basic sort of powers. But the subsets, and the combos of subsets, means that you got thousands of powers. Sure there will be dupes from time to time, but for the most part - I hardly ever see someone doing my schtick.
Old 08-01-04, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

MMORPG's are graphically enhanced chatting clients and level-up machines.

If you're looking for a game you should stick with one of the offline rpgs.

I actually did play Ragnarok Online for quite some time, about 2 and a half years before it went pay to play, and it was pretty fun as my first MMORPG experience, and its got a really nice graphical style, but after awhile you do start to realize that the whole point of the game is to level up. In otherwords, there is no goal or point to the game Although there were a lot of other problems with that game that caused me to quit (such as the terrible service, bugs, and lack of updates that other versions were getting), but I did get bored of it.

I'm interested in hearing if there are any good MMORPGs out there that are different from the norm. I've heard about guild wars, but don't know much about it. There are lots of korean mmorpgs I've been looking at that look really cool but have no chance of coming here.
Old 08-01-04, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I played Ahseron's Call for 18 months.

I played Dark Age of Camelot for 24 months.

I left both because of the relentless patching of the code and the need to constantly change the configuration of my pc, video card, drivers etc.

I am done with this type of game for the simple reason that what starts out as fun becomes work after a short time. I get paid to work, I don't pay to work.
Old 08-01-04, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've tried all the old school ones but stopped as they had nothing new. The next generation might somewhat be different although I doubt they will have much more than the usual hack and slash.

From what I've read, Everquest 2 and World of Warcraft appear to be Everquest with less timesink but following the same recipe of killing stuff for money. Actually, every game is like this, City of Heroes as well involves killing stuff and has little to do. Lineage 2 and Horizons also offer the same type of gameplay.

To get really different gameplay, you might have to go to the lesser known titles, but the problem with these is that they all fail lately. Check out Dragon Empires, you might like that one, it's a bit more original. It's kind of kingdom versus kingdom where you join a guild that controls one of more of 50 cities. You can play the game as a trader while never actually having to fight if you don't want to, but I believe it is full pvp (I used to follow the game but stopped as it was taking too long to get released) to make it realistic.
Old 08-02-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I have been playing Anarchy Online for 2 years+ and still love it.

I tried Everquest a long time ago and didn't care for it.

SWG got old in Beta and still sucks now.

I tried DAoC for like 20 mins but couldnt get into it.

Going to start CoH pretty soon.
Old 08-02-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I played Asheron's Call for 18 months, DAoC for a year, Asheron's Call 2 for 9 months and CoH for about a month. I hate death penalties and despise the requirement to group for effective gameplay. I anxiously await WoW and Middle Earth: Online.

Although, I fear that ME:O will have too many L3gola5 and LeggoLas and eGGoLas g33ks.
Old 08-02-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is all about World of Warcraft, it is easily the best MMO I have ever played, and it is still in beta. Tons of fun, and the questing system is fantastic. And it is even possible to gain a level a day even if you are level 40+, that is something you couldn't say about any other MMO's.
Old 08-02-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by flashburn
It is all about World of Warcraft, it is easily the best MMO I have ever played, and it is still in beta. Tons of fun, and the questing system is fantastic. And it is even possible to gain a level a day even if you are level 40+, that is something you couldn't say about any other MMO's.
Good to hear! What I enjoy about online games is the community. Being able to solo or do quests that don't require 3 parties of 6 people would be nice also. I also don't get crazy about levelling. Their will always be someone higher or lower than you.

I might give WoW a try. Does anybody know when it comes out?
Old 08-02-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Darkfriend
Good to hear! What I enjoy about online games is the community. Being able to solo or do quests that don't require 3 parties of 6 people would be nice also. I also don't get crazy about levelling. Their will always be someone higher or lower than you.

I might give WoW a try. Does anybody know when it comes out?
Supposibly November/December. I don't really see how it is possible, as they still have a lot to add and fix in order for it to live up to the typical 'Blizzard level of excellence'.

I am guessing a late January/Early Feb release date.
Old 08-02-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks flashburn! I'll wait until the game is done!

I'm not even thinking of trying out EQ2...