Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Some HD reception questions...

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-31-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts

Have dish network, but while I'd like HD, I really only want local HD (for football/baseball/basketball). I understand that even tho I have dish to get local HD channels I will need a OTA antenna,

-will I also need an HD receiver?
-is there a "basic" (read inexpensive) HD/Dish receiver? I would not need a DVR as I'm using a seperate Tivo unit.
-will Dish Network lease me a HD receiver w/out their $10.00 per month HD programing package?
-must I use a dish network receiver? In other words I sometimes see open box or deal on HD receivers. Will these work with dish?
Old 07-31-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
HD reception is an all or nothing deal. You either get a signal or you don't, not like signal strength from DBS. You need an over-the-air antenna for this. I use a Winegard 9065 although any good UHF antenna should work.

If your Dish receiver is not an HD receiver then, yes you will need an HD receiver. Not sure what the status of those boxes is although you should be able to get a generic one or a used one for not too much money.

I cant help with what Dish would do since I have Direct TV.
Old 07-31-04, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the info...

Wasn't there a link to show the type of OTA you should get depending on your address/zip?
Old 07-31-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

Dish HDTV receiver

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/D...s/Dish_811.htm
Old 07-31-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks again...

Think what I will do is call Dish Network and see if they will just swap me the SD receiver I got for an HD one. I have not even had Dish Network a month yet. So hoping they will work with me. I hoping to be able to watch my Dallas Cowbows in HD on my X1 this fall. Tho, I understand Fox is not totally on the HD bandwagon yet.
Old 08-02-04, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Sdallnct
Tho, I understand Fox is not totally on the HD bandwagon yet.
From what I've read: they most definately should be in time for this coming football season.
Old 08-02-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Chew
From what I've read: they most definately should be in time for this coming football season.
That would be sweet...
Old 08-02-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fox will be in full HD in time for the football season. I watched the MLB All-Star game in HD and it looked really good. They used the game as a test for HD.

My HD D* receiver has an OTA tuner in it. I'm guessing Dish has receivers with built-in OTA tuners also.

Check out this thread: Official DFW Metroplex OTA HD Thread
Old 08-03-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by BigDave
Fox will be in full HD in time for the football season. I watched the MLB All-Star game in HD and it looked really good. They used the game as a test for HD.

My HD D* receiver has an OTA tuner in it. I'm guessing Dish has receivers with built-in OTA tuners also.

Check out this thread: Official DFW Metroplex OTA HD Thread
Great link thanks. I go to AVSForum a lot, but guess I never saw that thread. Got me a list of about 3-4 antenna's to check out.
Old 08-04-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting a Channel Master 4228 this wknd from Fry's for $50.

We have a big fricken hill between our house and Mt. Sutro where the locals are being broadcasted from, but our neighbor has one and it seems to work fine.
Old 08-04-04, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by succubiss
I'm getting a Channel Master 4228 this wknd from Fry's for $50.

We have a big fricken hill between our house and Mt. Sutro where the locals are being broadcasted from, but our neighbor has one and it seems to work fine.
Good choice. I had one of those before, great antennas.
Old 08-05-04, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Any antenna in particular you guys would recommend for an attic or low profile outside?
Old 08-05-04, 02:26 PM

For low profile, try the Winegard Square Shooter. The SS-1000 is the standard one, the SS-2000 is amplified.

http://www.winegard.com/offair/squareshooter.htm
Old 08-06-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm using a Channel Master 3020 and preamp that I bought from Lowe's. This allows me to get most of the Houston channels which are about 80 miles away. I have mine mounted in my attic.

You probably don't need one as big if your pretty close to the antennas.
Old 08-06-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

OK in doing research on the antenna's I notice that some specifically say HD while other do not. Is there really a difference?

And, if I understand it correctly, a "directional" antenna is stronger, but an "omni-directional" give you wider range. Is that a fair statement?
Old 08-06-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sdallnct
OK in doing research on the antenna's I notice that some specifically say HD while other do not. Is there really a difference?

And, if I understand it correctly, a "directional" antenna is stronger, but an "omni-directional" give you wider range. Is that a fair statement?
The needs for an HDTV antenna are basically what a good UHF antenna gives you since the HDTV band is in the UHF range. I would take most of the rest of your question to be the result of marketing.

FWIW I am very happy with my Winegard 9065.

http://www.winegard.com/offair/pdf/hd9065p.pdf

Here is a sample websearch I did for a price

http://www.teeveesupply.com/product_...d_antennas.htm

I live 20 miles south of Washington DC and on good day I can get Baltimore HD channels that are over 65 miles away. I am lucky that this is nearly a straight line geographically.
Old 08-06-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
HD/not: No, except probably a higher price for "HD"

Directional: It receives more signal, but only from the direction it is aimed. If all stations are in (about) the same direction, set it, forget it, all is good. If in several different directions, you would need an antenna rotor. People only do this in weak reception areas. In its preferred direction, a directional antenna can receive from a station further away, but won't receive even from nearby stations in other directions. Beam is probably 30° so you don't have to aim too critically, but you can't be way wrong.

Omni-directional means all directions. It can't receive from as great a distance, but direction doesn't matter.

If most stations are 10-15 miles or less, and a bunch of directions, go with omni-directional. 20-25 miles, could go either way, more than 25 miles, you probably need directional, and if in several directions, a rotor. But reception is variable and YMMV.
Old 08-06-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the information guys. I found this link

http://www.hdtvpub.com/

It has a section based on zip code where people post what stations they can get, what antenna they are using, etc. Pretty good information (especially for me since I'm new to this). Got my list of antenna narrowed to about 4 or 5, but I guess now I need to see what direction most of the channels are in and how far from my place. I think the link above (several above by Brian Shannon) should give me the info I need.