Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

When Do You Consider a DVD Watched?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-04, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When Do You Consider a DVD Watched?

I'm wondering what the census on this is, since I think opinions may vary. Like most people on the board, I've got quite a few titles that I've yet to watch; quite a few that I've yet to open, in fact. I'm trying to cut down on my unwatched titles in the next few weeks before I head back for classes and was wondering the subject question: when do you consider a DVD watched?

Is it just watching the feature; the feature and some of the extras, or EVERYTHING on the DVD, right down to the smallest featurette? I'm more in the state of mind that you at least need to watch the feature. Some of the extras, too, but not all of them. I feel that way since I've got a lot of DVDs that have extras that appeal to me in no way. I'll watch the ones that hold an interest for me, but as for the ones that don't, I really don't waste my time.

So what's it for you? Some or all, before you consider the DVD truly watched?
Old 07-28-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
just when I've watched the movie itself. Too many film in my library aren't ones I feel compelled to listen to every commentary, watch the bts features, etc.
Old 07-29-04, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm a "watch every single feature, including every commentary track in full, or it isn't complete" person. I guess that's why I have so many DVDs left on my "to watch" list.
Old 07-29-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Meh, I don't even bother with special features any more about 8 times out of 10. I'll watch deleted scenes usually, but other than that I either really have to like the movie or it has to have some really facinating looking special features and even then sometimes I don't bother. It's been a while since I've listened to a commentary.
Old 07-29-04, 12:49 AM
Banned

It's "watched" when I say so.
Old 07-29-04, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I consider a DVD "watched" when I have looked at the movie, and any supplemental material of interest. Usually I don't listen to commentary tracks, but otherwise I do go through most of the extras included on the disc(s).
Old 07-29-04, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

as long as i've seen the main feature itself, i consider the disc 'watched'. since the extra features are just icing on the cake, i take my time watching those.

in fact, i take my own sweet time watching my collection...
Old 07-29-04, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Movie itself.
Old 07-29-04, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Movie itself*

*Unless I specifically bought it for commentary, such as the Joe Bob Briggs presents DVDs, but then I watch first time with commentary on, so it comes out the same.
Old 07-29-04, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
For me a movie is considered watched when I've seen the feature and watched/listened to any special features/commentary I am interested in.
Old 07-29-04, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by MoviePage
I'm a "watch every single feature, including every commentary track in full, or it isn't complete" person. I guess that's why I have so many DVDs left on my "to watch" list.
I am the same way. I keep my DVDs in my computer room (third floor). When I decide on the next DVD to watch, I will take it down to the basement where the home theater is set up. My rule is that I don't take it back upstairs until I've gone through the whole thing. I do allow myself to take a new one or two down before finishing the first, based on my movie-watching mood at the time, but I am committed to finishing them off. So, at times I will have three or four DVDs sitting on top of the TV.

Really, the only exception has been the Lord of the Rings 4-DVD sets. Those take forever to go through!

This is not as onerous as it may sound. Most of the DVDs I purchase are from Hong Kong (not many extras) and Korea (no subtitles on the extras). So, even if these have commentaries, it doesn't do me any good to listen to them.

I am very selective when it comes to U.S. movies. I don't go on too many buying sprees picking up marginal titles. The DVDs I do decide to get are for films I like very much, and for which a SE with commentaries and such is the major reason for purcahse.
Old 07-29-04, 07:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fully watched when I'm done w/ the moive and all the features I'm interesting in (usually including commentaries), these are stored on the shelf right side up. If I've just watched the movie but not the features or commentary I put it on the shelf upside down so I remember there is still something left to see on it. If I haven't seen anything on it yet it goes on a different shelf.
Old 07-29-04, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'll also have to say that I consider it watched after I've watched the film itself.
Old 07-29-04, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it's a movie that's in my top 10 right after I've watched the movie I'll watch the extras. If I ever want to have something to listen to while I work on my computer I usually pop in a movie and listen to the commentary.

I count a DVD as done when I've watched everything on it.
Old 07-29-04, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's considered watched when I finish the movie itself. I rarely watch any extras on any of my discs.
Old 07-29-04, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
I consider a DVD "watched" when I have looked at the movie, and any supplemental material of interest. Usually I don't listen to commentary tracks, but otherwise I do go through most of the extras included on the disc(s).
I do the same, i.e. ignore the commentary tracks for the most part but try to watch the movie and the other extras.

However, I consider a DVD watched if I just watch the movie itself.
Old 07-29-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
As long as I have watched the movie itself,i consider the disc watched.
Old 07-29-04, 09:47 AM

considered watched when the entire movie or all episodes are seen. I don't care about the features as much.
Old 07-29-04, 12:53 PM

The movie and all extras not counting DVD-rom content.
Old 07-29-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I consider it watched when i watch the movie. Not really much for extras...if i really like the movie i'll watch the deleted scenes and/or featurettes.

Only really listen to the commentary if its a movie that i really want to know more about, or catch things i missed (one commentary i've listened to is the Usual Suspects). I dont really bother watching movie trailers.
Old 07-29-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Usually when the film itself is watched, along with a couple extras. I usually try to go back and finish up extras later on.
Old 07-29-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
The movie, along with any particular features that stand out or was anticipating.
Old 07-29-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I usually don't think about it one way or another, unless it's a disc I want to dump. Then I'll make sure I at least scan the extras before trading/selling.
Old 07-29-04, 02:37 PM

Hehe, man DVD collectors are obsessed!

If I watch the film I can sleep at night putting it on my shelf afterwards as watched. Though if it comes with a whole 'nother extras disc I'll want to check that out.
Old 07-29-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
I've gotta be the most anal-retentive: on ALL my DVDs, I have to play them all one time with ALL of the audio tracks and subtitles. That means watching with Audio 1 and subs off, then Audio 2 with Subtitle 1, and so on. If the disc has closed-captions I watch it once with those on too. At the very least, I'll let it play with subtitles while I'm cleaning up or doing something else around the house, I don't have to read every subtitle but I at least have to have displayed them all.
I dare anybody to beat that!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.