DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

LOTR extended extended editions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOTR extended extended editions

This was taken from The One Ring.

manicjaguar writes: Wonderful site as usual....Just thought I'd let you know about an article in the September 2004 issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly. It has the rpg game LOTR: The Third Age on the cover, and inside is a good article about the game. What's of note is several quotes from the games Executive Producer, Steve Gray. Here's some excerpts.

(EGM)But even when the final product hits the shelves in November, only New Line and EA will know which plot elements were created from scratch and which are based on actual footage Peter Jackson shot but still hasn't seen the light of day. "They're really protective of that footage," Gray says, "because obviously, they want to make the extended (italics EGM) extended versions someday--in a trilogy box set or whatever. They want to keep the franchise alive for years to come."...........Thousands of movie production photos line the walls, and hours of footage from the films--some of it not even included in the special extended editions--fill artists' hard drives.

LINK HERE site is currently being hammered.
Old 07-28-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is a load of BS. Yes, Peter Jackson is looking forward to HD-DVD, but hes not going to make an extended extended edition. The only thing hed change is the look of Gollum in 'Fellowship'.
Old 07-28-04, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if it's BS or not, but I'd like to see an even more extended version of the movies.
Old 07-28-04, 05:55 PM
Suspended

Psycho.
Old 07-28-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't want to see them pad these movies with superfluous scenes just to make them longer. Not all cut footage is worth seeing.
Old 07-28-04, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This has the smell of someone trying to sound 'important.'

Sure there may be shots and entire scenes the filmmakers drop and never use that they give to the artists as models, but that doesn't mean they will necessarily get put back into the film.

The Extended Editions feel like the 'definitive' cuts of the films to me, and I'd wager they'll remain that way. Peter Jackson seems like the kind of filmmaker (I would hope) who is interested in doing new things, not revisiting old ones over and over and over again.
Old 07-28-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What I think would be nice to see someday, before the HD-DVD releases, would be a nice box set of deleted scenes, outtakes, even more B-roll footage, etc.

And make it pretty so it matches the other EE boxes.
Old 07-28-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
What else of any substance could be left? They never filmed the Scouring of the Shire or Old Tom Bombadil. Pretty much all of the major plot points are hit in all three EEs (assuming ROTK is as good as it sounds).

The only major things left on the cutting room floor are (rightfully) abandoned ideas like Arwen at the Battle of Helms Deep. There might be a few short scenes of the Fellowship travelling along, more of Frodo, Sam and Gollem wandering through the wastelands, or perhaps the party/dinner at Rivendell after Frodo heals (where he meets Gloin and gets the first notion that Strider is more than he appears) but there's not an hour plus of additional material waiting to be added to EEE versions of each film.
Old 07-28-04, 10:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by caiman
I don't want to see them pad these movies with superfluous scenes just to make them longer. Not all cut footage is worth seeing.
I agree most of the extra stuff in the TT EE was boring and it was shit. The first EE was great but the 2nd one was not so great.
Old 07-28-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
the extra stuff in the TT EE was boring and it was shit. The first EE was great but the 2nd one was not so great.
Old 07-29-04, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree most of the extra stuff in the TT EE was boring and it was shit. The first EE was great but the 2nd one was not so great.
You misunderstood me. I think the new footage in the EEs is awesome, and TTT was a much better movie because of it.
Old 07-29-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by caiman
i agree.
Old 07-29-04, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How true!
Old 07-29-04, 03:39 AM
Banned

Isn't 3+ hours each enough as it is?
Old 07-29-04, 07:49 AM
Banned

Old 07-29-04, 07:49 AM
Banned

Originally posted by InnocentBlood
i agree.
Old 07-29-04, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Lara Means
This is a load of BS. Yes, Peter Jackson is looking forward to HD-DVD, but hes not going to make an extended extended edition. The only thing hed change is the look of Gollum in 'Fellowship'.
Of course there will be an extended extended version. I say bring it on!
Old 07-29-04, 08:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The question is if Jackson starts to take this continual tweaking approach to the LotR triliogy will it gain him the infamy Lucas has "earned" for doing the same thing w/ the original Star Wars trilogy?
Old 07-29-04, 08:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree with the statement that all deleted footage isn't beneficial to restoration, but I would still like to see the footage that Jackson didn't include in the EE cuts of the films - (like the scene where Eowyn is getting stalked by the orc).
Old 07-29-04, 08:59 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I get EGM and read the whole article. That portion struck me as 100% pure speculation on the author's part. IMHO, the way it was posted on TORN leant it much more credibility than it deserved. No one at EA and certainly no one at WETA would ever confirm this. While it's theoretically possible that this could happen, it's also theoretically possible that Natalie Portman will show up at your door asking you to marry her.
Old 07-29-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BeckysBoy
While it's theoretically possible that this could happen, it's also theoretically possible that Natalie Portman will show up at your door asking you to marry her.
Now that would be something I would request an extended extended version of
Old 07-29-04, 12:14 PM

The question is if Jackson starts to take this continual tweaking approach to the LotR triliogy will it gain him the infamy Lucas has "earned" for doing the same thing w/ the original Star Wars trilogy?
Except that the original versions of LotR are available on DVD...

Then again, I guess he could just make them unavailable in HDDVD or whatever...then he would be the Lucas of a new generation!
Old 07-29-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Originally posted by Jason
What else of any substance could be left? They never filmed the Scouring of the Shire or Old Tom Bombadil. Pretty much all of the major plot points are hit in all three EEs (assuming ROTK is as good as it sounds).
Oh, I'm sure that Peter could find a few outtakes and, using some CGI, Lucas-up a Tom Bombadil scene to shoehorn into FOTR.

And then we have to have the Orcs shoot first at Helm's Deep because they're the bad guys.

And then we need Gandalf screaming his head off as he's falling of the bridge.
Old 07-29-04, 01:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man

And then we need Gandalf screaming his head off as he's falling of the bridge.
and audio-tweek it so it's a girlie sounding.

'ai-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh!
Old 07-29-04, 01:58 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Lara Means
Where can I find a list of the added stuff I can list what ones was worthless.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.