Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

How is "Devil's Backbone"...worth a blind buy?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-04, 05:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I am wondering if this is relatable to any horror movies I might already have or might have seen. If someone could let me know what it is like without giving away and let me know how this new version is I would appreciate it.
Old 07-27-04, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the old release, and i'm more than happy with it. Just a cool ghost story with an excellent cast and a creepy desert atmosphere. If you liked Cronos, you should like this. I'm 50/50 on del Toro, but this one is his best, IMO. His commentary on the disc is also very good.
Old 07-27-04, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second that. I too have the old release and had gotten as a blind buy. I had only read reviews and was glad I bought it. It takes place during the spanish civil war ( I think around the 1910's) at a orphanage. I'll stop there, aftre several attempts i really don't think I could do it justice in explaining the film without telling too much of it.
Old 07-27-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
This is one movie I'm more than happy to double-dip.

I posted this in the main forum thread about the new SE but I'll repeat some of it:

At Comic-Con, I gave Guillermo the DVD cover to sign and he said they received a not-so-great print from Spain in order to do the first DVD release. He said they spent 2 days trying to fix it so it would be okay to use.

He said the new release has a much improved video presentation. He said the audio is about the same but they had a much better print to do this new release. Plus there are deleted scenes.

I really love this film. Great atmosphere... not a real scream-fest but I love the creepyness factor.
Old 07-27-04, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I would say rent because it's a little on the ....zzzzz... side. I guess I thought it would be more horror than drama, which it wasn't. It does have some decent elements though. I'd go for the new disc if you get it.
Old 07-28-04, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
This is my all time favorite horror movie and (I think) well worth a blind buy. It's more like The Others or The Sixth Sense than a Halloween or Freddy Kruger movie--horror, but a thoughtful ghost story rather than a slasher.

tasha
Old 07-28-04, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw it theatrically and loved it. I just bought the SE today and will report back when I have had time to watch it.
Old 07-28-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I rented this movie a few months ago and was happy enough with it as a rental but will not be buying it. It was ok, but not great. I just felt like it needed a little something to make a great film. My recommendation - rent it.
Old 07-28-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
It's great but to me it's more a socio-political allegory on the Spanish Civil war than a horror film.
Old 07-29-04, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the old release also and i like it because it's a bit different, Yes it's a bit slow but but i still enjoyed it.
Rent it first, each person is different in there likes and dislikes.
Old 07-29-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Watched it today, I thought it was a really great movie and there was a lot I enjoyed about it. Even though it is somewhat of a "ghost story", it doesn't take up a chunk of the movie, nor is this movie out for scares in general. I thought the child actors were pretty good.

Give it a rent first, because it might be too slow for some people.
Old 07-29-04, 07:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Is DB better than "Cronos"? or how does it compare to that? "Cronos" was heralded and got many accolades, I obviously haven't seen it yet, but do own it, so just wondering...
Old 07-29-04, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cronos is interesting despite the fact that it's a low budget affair. The Devil's Backbone is a much better film however. And as I hinted at above, having a ghost does not make this a horror film. It's a socio-political allegory and it helps in your appreciation of the film if you are somewhat familiar with the history of Spain, i.e. the Spanish Civil war.
Old 07-30-04, 12:59 PM

I listened to the commentary last night and found it very interesting. I love Del Toro's commentaries. He's so informative and conversational and is always very interesting. I was very happy with the picture and audio quality as well. The documentaries were pretty good but nothing to write home about. The interviews were in spanish with english subtitles. I thought the translation was very good for these. Since I watched it with the commentary I couldn't give the soundtrack a real work out but it seemed good in the few test sequences I tried. The film isn't for everyone but I think it is very good.
Old 07-30-04, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
Originally posted by eXcentris
Cronos is interesting despite the fact that it's a low budget affair. The Devil's Backbone is a much better film however. And as I hinted at above, having a ghost does not make this a horror film. It's a socio-political allegory and it helps in your appreciation of the film if you are somewhat familiar with the history of Spain, i.e. the Spanish Civil war.
I disagree. Having an extra layer of meaning doesn't make the first layer disappear--it works as both a ghost story and an allegory of the Spanish Civil war. It is definately a horror story, but there are many kinds of horror.

tasha
Old 07-30-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by tasha99
It is definately a horror story, but there are many kinds of horror.

tasha
The horror being the war. To me it's a drama with supernatural elements, not a horror film. I guess we'll just have to disagree.
Old 07-31-04, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by eXcentris
The horror being the war. To me it's a drama with supernatural elements, not a horror film. I guess we'll just have to disagree.
....but I'll agree with you. That was my take too.
Old 08-03-04, 10:48 PM

An excellent film... moody, atmospheric, real people as characters... It's what Almodovar would do, if he ever got into horror.
Old 08-04-04, 11:56 PM

Is it only in Spanish with English subtitles?
Old 08-05-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Ripper
Is it only in Spanish with English subtitles?
Yes.