Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Are all region dvd players any good ?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-04, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A similar question to my first post, does anyone have an all region dvd player? If so, what brand do you have and do you like it? I'm thinking of getting an all region dvd player or a dvd player that can play divx also. Let me know your thoughts and advantages/disadvantages to both. Thank you for your help.
Old 07-27-04, 09:12 PM

I have the Philips 727 and I love It!

Region 0, play any dvd from any country, Play NTSC and PAL DVDs in a NTSC TV(my sony wega).

The new Philips 642 its the new version of 727 and it plays Divx so you can have a region 0 dvd with Divx option in the same player!

Check it:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=172282
Old 07-27-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have several region free players right now. A modded JVC (my first Region free player), a Cyberhome 500, and a Philips 642 (only bought for the divx capabilities. They all work great, though the cyberhome is cheap feeling and looking. I only bought it for a bedroom player though so it isn't a big deal IMO. For what you want definitely go for the Philips 642. It does great PAL to NTSC conversion, a one time remote hack for region free, and you can get it for around 69.99 at Target. If you don't go for that player just make sure you get one that does proper PAL to NTSC conversion.
Old 07-28-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I oersonally love my chip modded JVC 55SL. Has a sleek design and plays everything I throw at it. Never has it failed me.
Old 07-28-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the Toshiba 4900 and it has performed flawlessly for me.
Old 07-28-04, 03:10 PM

First off thanks for everyone's help.
I was looking at the Phillips 642, but I have a question, is there an easy way to make it region free? Have any of you done that with yours?
Old 07-28-04, 06:04 PM

As far as I know, the 642 has a remote control hack just like the 727, check videohelp.com for what it is exactly.

Now for a question of my own...

I've been searching for a good 5-7 disc DVD changer that does region-free. The only other features I'm interested in are progressive scan (which I assume most new DVD players have), a good OSD for MP3 CD/DVD playback (which uses a folder and full track name display), and the ability to be controlled perfectly by a Home Theater Master MX-500 universal remote control (nothing from Philips).

Any suggestions?