Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help! Best DVD player for Gateway 42" plasma EDTV

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-04, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all-

I recently purchased the Gateway 42" plasma EDTV.

My first generation Sony DVD player wasn't getting the job done, so I upgraded to a Samsung HD-841 DVD player.

The progressive scan output looked horrible, so I dropped it to 480i. However, even at 480i, the DVD image yields faint, flickering lines across the entire screen. These lines are most prominent against black backgrounds, and become harder to see against bright colors.

I'm relatively new to this "world," so I'm not sure where the problem lies -- is it with the TV, the DVD, or both.

The DVD is connected through component video. The cables are generic, gold plated cables. Could it be the cables? Should I upgrade the cables to a "name" brand.

For the TV source, I'm using Comcast Digital HD Cable with the HD box. I do not get these flickering lines while watching TV. This problem is exclusive to watching DVDs.

Any help will be much appreciated. I'm dying trying to get this fixed. Please help.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-27-04, 07:04 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Without a doubt, the Gateway is one of the worst performing Plasma TV's you can buy. See if you can take it back... then go to PlasmaDepot (an authorized seller) and pick up the 42" Panasonic for $2499.

Sorry for the bad news.
Old 07-27-04, 11:07 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
those panny's are coming down in price, I got mine last year in the dell brou haha for 2105 +5% tax, A steal if ever.

But I'd love to see a 42" for under 2K

I'd really like to see a 32" for under 1500