Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

straight to video horror flicks that don't suck. add yours !!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-25-04, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both me and my wife are fairly big horror/thriller fans. As most fans know, alot of titles in this genre go straight to video. Unfortunately this means you often toss money and time renting some flicks that is totally unwatchable. However sometimes you get something thats solid.

here's a list olf recent horror straight to video ones that I would recommend:

1) My Little eye. I modern twist on todays "reality tv". We both enjoyed this one alot. It started off kind of abruptly, but turned into a pretty entertaining movie.

2) May: This if movies centers around an eccentric slight out there youg woman and her quest to find true love.

3) Love Object: Centers around a dude who orders a sex doll that resembles a co-worker. I don't want to spoil anything but its a twisted little movie that I enjoyed alot.

4) Dog Soldiers: great British werewolf flick.

Anyone got any other I should look for while browsing the ilses of my local blockbuster ??
Old 07-25-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts
Just a quick heads up..

May wasn't direct to video.
Old 07-25-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
I don't remember Ginger Snaps ever having a theatrical release....so I'll add it to the list.
Old 07-25-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Usually if it's a great horror film, it probably had a limited release of about 1-5 screens somewhere in the US (as May did)....so it's practically considered direct to video. It was dumped in a few theaters and released literally 1 month later on video. Way to go Lion's Gate...
Old 07-25-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts
Originally posted by Seantn
Usually if it's a great horror film, it probably had a limited release of about 1-5 screens somewhere in the US (as May did)....so it's practically considered direct to video. It was dumped in a few theaters and released literally 1 month later on video. Way to go Lion's Gate...
Yeah, I guess it just stood out because it actually played here for a short time.
Old 07-25-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: straight to video horror flicks that don't suck. add yours !!

Originally posted by JHosk
Both me and my wife are fairly big horror/thriller fans. As most fans know, alot of titles in this genre go straight to video. Unfortunately this means you often toss money and time renting some flicks that is totally unwatchable. However sometimes you get something thats solid.

here's a list olf recent horror straight to video ones that I would recommend:

2) May: This if movies centers around an eccentric slight out there youg woman and her quest to find true love.

3) Love Object: Centers around a dude who orders a sex doll that resembles a co-worker. I don't want to spoil anything but its a twisted little movie that I enjoyed alot.

4) Dog Soldiers: great British werewolf flick.

these 3 played in theaters. I saw May and love object in a theater.

Please get your facts straight first!

PS
now I think about it my little eye had limited theatrical play as well.
Old 07-25-04, 12:53 PM

Re: Re: straight to video horror flicks that don't suck. add yours !!

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
these 3 played in theaters. I saw May and love object in a theater.

Please get your facts straight first!

PS
now I think about it my little eye had limited theatrical play as well.
Hahaha...right on....I must live up in the boon docks or something.
Old 07-25-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The goonies lived by the boon docks. And they were pretty cool.
Old 07-25-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My Little Eye played pretty much everywhere except for the US. Thanks Universal.
Old 07-25-04, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by Seantn
My Little Eye played pretty much everywhere except for the US. Thanks Universal.
I'd say my little eye would have been great on big screen. it had alot of atmosphere.

Anyone got any others to add ?? I'm running out of flicks to rent these days.

Anyone seen Haute Tension ?? I'm thinking about ordering the Thai import.
Old 07-25-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

See "Series 7: The Contenders". Almost direct to video...Very small release, just like May.

It's a fake-reality show in which the contestants are chosen at random- They MUST participate. They are handed guns, and told that they must kill eachother. They all live in a small town, and they are people from all walks of life...
A teenage girl, A pregnant woman, a war veteran, a working class dad, a nurse in her 60's.... I really liked it, it's a good movie. Kinda sad, too. It was made in early 2000, right before 'Survivor' and a lot of the reality crap came on the air.

It's interesting that in the movie society has accepted this show as 'entertainment' and it's perfectly legal for the contestants to murder eachother in broad daylight (at the mall, in front of kids, etc...), just as long as it is in the game!
Old 07-25-04, 02:44 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
So, so far none of these examples were truly straight-to-video.

Trivia note: Series 7 was narrated by GOB. And "Survivor" pre-dated the film...not the other way around.
Old 07-25-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Eh, kinda, but not really...They were filming Series 7 right as Survivor mania was sweeping the nation in summer of 2000... In fact, they may have started filming before that.

Either way, that's not where they got the premise from. I've read up on it, and they were working on the idea for a few years before going into production. Too bad the movie bombed.
Old 07-25-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And on another note...It's hard to find a really good movie that is ONLY direct to video. Usually if it's just dumped on video, there's a reason.
Old 07-25-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
Were the Puppet Master movies ever released in theaters?

If not, well then that definately gets my vote. Puppet Master 1-3? ( the appearance of the new Puppet "Six Shooter"), were great. Puppet Master 5/6 were weird, just because now you had them joining the "good side" and fighting those evil demon totem things.
Old 07-25-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Quite possibly in my top five horror films ever. I really did like it that much.

Ummmm, if Shaun of the Dead doesn't get released to theaters here in the USA but it does go to DVD here, can I count that one? That one is in my top five also, for sure.

I can tell that the upcoming Ginger Snaps prequel will be fantastic just from the trailer, and I don't think that's getting a theatrical release here in the USA.
Old 07-25-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love this movie. What's the Thai version like? Is it uncut with English subtitles?
Old 08-19-04, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally posted by caiman
I love this movie. What's the Thai version like? Is it uncut with English subtitles?
The Thai version is indeed uncut BUT it's dubbed. Thai and english sound tracks - NO french. Thai and english subtitles as well.
It's too bad but luckily the english dub isn't so bad, and it's not really a dialogue driven movie :-)
Old 08-19-04, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But since Haute Tension is not language driven then I prefer the little bit there is to be the original language, but since you can get the Thai DVD for like $7.50 shipped its a no brainer considering the movie wont get any kind of release 'til next year. Shaun of the Dead is definitely hitting US theatres first (the packed Region 2 DVD hits soon, with a Zombie commentary!). I loved both films, especially Haute Tension but there is alot of hate for it because of it's ending. The 3rd Ginger Snaps is only barely passable in my opinion, better than the 2nd but very generic and badly acted, it feels like people filming a movie taking place back in the days but in costume only, attitudes and language are from today, the Indians in the movie speak more clearly than the English folk and there are major little inconsistencies throughout the film that get more annoying as the film progresses. Nice ending though, but it seems to be there just to tie it into the themes of the first film.
Old 08-19-04, 10:15 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by BrentLumkin
Ummmm, if Shaun of the Dead doesn't get released to theaters here in the USA but it does go to DVD here, can I count that one? That one is in my top five also, for sure.
SHAUN is getting a big theatrical push this September.
Old 08-19-04, 10:19 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by scott shelton
SHAUN is getting a big theatrical push this September.
Sept. 24th to be exact.
Old 08-19-04, 10:20 AM
Banned

Last edited by Rivero; 08-19-04 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-19-04, 10:22 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Frankenhooker had a very brief theatrical run.
Old 08-19-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Frogs?! That very much got a theatrical release. A good rule of thumb is that a movie made in 1972 probably didn't go direct to video.
Old 08-19-04, 11:42 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Adam Tyner
A good rule of thumb is that a movie made in 1972 probably didn't go direct to video.
I guess I'm doing "straight-to-video quality". Did Killer Condom(1997) ever get a theatrical release?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.