Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Guzzlefish is really messing up up lately

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guzzlefish is really F'in up lately

In the past month or so I've only been able to post 3 out of over a dozen movie on Guzzlefish.... It also won't let me contribute movies into the system.

What the f//k???
Old 07-24-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I gave up. I love the stats; look and general set up of the place, but it's simply not up to snuff with other sites that are also free. These improvements they've been talking about for over a year still haven't come around.
Old 07-24-04, 02:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree w/ Al Padrino, it's really just not worth the hassle anymore... kind of a ashame since the stats were nice, but between the slowness of the site and the lack of updates what's the point of even trying anymore
Old 07-24-04, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

F guzzlefish, I style with Profiler.
Old 07-24-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have a long list of things that I can't add to their systen and it is just getting ridiculous. I love their stats and wish them well, but they need a lot of work.
Old 07-24-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Terrible site. Even for free too much trouble. I think I'm just going to use it for CDs. DVDAF is the way to go in my book.
Old 07-24-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Pay the $25 for DVD Profiler... it is worth it as the DVD Profiler has been great with everything except for my double disc of Bread & Roses and My Name is Joe by Ken Loach, which I bought from the UK.

DVD Profiler is also excellent for friends that comes over and wants to check out what they want to see...
Old 07-25-04, 11:33 AM

Guzzlefish is getting a redesign sometime in August. I can't go into the details of what the overhaul will include, nor can I even share why I have such confidence in it, but I can promise that the problems mentioned in this thread will be taken care of, in addition to many features & fixes we've been asking Dave Snider for for months. We all love Dave at Guzzlefish but he's almost abandoned it. There will be numerous improvements including regularly updated content (reviews), at least minor improvements to the already-superior look&feel, and timely additions of all data to the database. Also, new databases.

The problem with the new titles not appearing has to do with a technical error of Muze titles not going through mixed with Dave's lack of interest in hurrying to solve this problem. Submitting the titles manually would result in the statistics you love so much being completely mangled, as well as mass confusion over which version to add. We're stuck between a rock and a hard place on this and have been doing our best to deal with the constant whining over the free site.

Also, there is no more slowness in the site. There is only one thing that can slow it up outside of bad connections and that's something rarely used. I'm sure this will be fixed when we get the huge overhaul, but in the meantime the only times the site should be slow is a fluke.

Your patience will pay off.
Old 07-25-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by rehmus
Guzzlefish is getting a redesign sometime in August.
Of course, we've been promised this since last August.
Old 07-26-04, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I gave up months ago, too. I just can't get into a project that doesn't even hold the interest of its own author. DVDAF does everything I need it to do, without the mess.
Old 07-26-04, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thta's the problem with these sites. Once someone "loses interest" in it, it's over. It could never be updated again or just shut down one day out of the blue. I know it's free, but I'll think twice before entering 2000 titles into on online database that I don't control.
Old 07-26-04, 08:24 AM
Cool New Member

Take a look at http://www.dvdspot.com. It is a newer service that has many of the features of Guzzlefish, but easier to use IMO.

AS far as stats go, it's Most Active DVDs and Top Rated DVDs lists provide some cool insight into what the latest trends are.

Last edited by Easley; 07-26-04 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-26-04, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Josh Z
Of course, we've been promised this since last August.
That's what I was thinking. I am giving them till Christmas since I have held on this long, but I plan to move on in December if the site is not progressing. I have at least 4 recent purchases that I can not get in - but it just keeps growing not shrinking.
Old 07-26-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Easley, DVDSpot looks interesting. I will be importing my titles during the lulls at work today . I dig the stats and the design is decent. Thanks for the link. How are they with other region titles (which I gain more and more of as time goes by)?
Old 07-26-04, 09:23 AM
Banned

Lovin my DVDAF
Old 07-26-04, 10:12 AM

All major old promises at Guzzlefish have been fulfilled. Dave didn't up and say "this site sucks, I'm leaving," time & money have caught up to him.

Guzzlefish is, to my knowledge, the only site that deals with music & video game cataloging, it has the best look & feel of any of the cataloging sites (which I realize is a matter of opinion but if you honestly thing anything comes close outside of profiler, I've got a bridge in brooklyn to sell you).

Anyways... Clearly everyones minds are made up... so... blah.
Old 07-26-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've stuck with and even defended Guzzlefish for a long time because I have always liked their interface the best, but yesterday I downloaded DVD Profiler and won't go back.

Guzzlefish has little to no involvement from its own administrators these days, and has shown no commitment to making many desperately-needed improvements. Instead, they're too focused on adding a book database, a massive project that is doomed to failure.

DVD Profiler is more flexible and customizable, and so far I've found detailed listings for 95% of my most obscure import discs already in place. I don't really care for it aesthetically, but it's much more useful than Guzzlefish and I will not be turning back.
Old 07-26-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by rehmus
Guzzlefish is getting a redesign sometime in August. I can't go into the details of what the overhaul will include, nor can I even share why I have such confidence in it, but I can promise that the problems mentioned in this thread will be taken care of, in addition to many features & fixes we've been asking Dave Snider for for months. We all love Dave at Guzzlefish but he's almost abandoned it. There will be numerous improvements including regularly updated content (reviews), at least minor improvements to the already-superior look&feel, and timely additions of all data to the database. Also, new databases.

The problem with the new titles not appearing has to do with a technical error of Muze titles not going through mixed with Dave's lack of interest in hurrying to solve this problem. Submitting the titles manually would result in the statistics you love so much being completely mangled, as well as mass confusion over which version to add. We're stuck between a rock and a hard place on this and have been doing our best to deal with the constant whining over the free site.

Also, there is no more slowness in the site. There is only one thing that can slow it up outside of bad connections and that's something rarely used. I'm sure this will be fixed when we get the huge overhaul, but in the meantime the only times the site should be slow is a fluke.

Your patience will pay off.
I really hope this is the case. I am sticking with GF until this 'update' comes around. If it doesn't in a timely fashion, then I might be moving to DVD Profiler.
Old 07-26-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

about 2 months ago i ended my guzzlefish wait. i downloaded profiler again and im loving it.

dvdspot has caught my interest but i havent had time to import my collection.

guzzlefish was promising but things just seem to move way to slow over there. i have been waiting for them to fix bugs for mor than a year...its cool that its free but its like a friend giving me a watch that doesnt work for free...its pretty much useless (at least right now)
Old 08-12-04, 11:05 AM

Anyone know when in August this supposed update will be? They got the site running fast again, but still missing a lot of new releases. Mystic River for Jebus's sake!
Old 08-12-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
No kidding... along with Bad Santa: Unrated, Devil's Backbone: SE and Predator: CE
Old 08-12-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by glasschicken
Anyone know when in August this supposed update will be?
They said it would be in "August". Notice they did not mention which year.
Old 08-12-04, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z
They said it would be in "August". Notice they did not mention which year.
Bastards!
Old 08-12-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dig the design of DVDSpot. I added in my first shelf of DVD's (no way I'm putting in all 400 now), here's what it looks like if you want to take a peek at the design.

I haven't had trouble finding titles yet, although I haven't tried to put in other region titles yet (which will come soon), so we'll see...

The one turn off is that when I put in a word that I have more than one title of (like American, in which American Pie, American Beauty, ect.), you can only do one at a time. It'd be nice to be able to check multiple titles for adding.

= J
Old 08-12-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

DVD Spot is awesome. Submitted titles are added within a few hours, and their customer service is second to none.

http://www.dvdspot.com/member=quake1028

It's now my preferred collection site.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.