Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

URGENT: Help me remember this movie...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

URGENT: Help me remember this movie...

Old 07-24-04, 06:48 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone remember / recognize these movies?

Here's what I remember. A kid (who looks kinda like Ethan Hawke, as I remember) steals some microfilm from some guys. I think it has satellite plans on it. He has to hide from them in the mountains. He follows them, and steals their knives. His shoes fall apart, so he wraps his feet in burlap that the thieves left behind. He meets some crazy inventor who invented a bellpull for people who don't have a butler, the line here is "hell no, I invented this 20 years ago"; he gives the kid some rope and says "you always need lots of rope". I remember this movie vividly, but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone else recognize it?

Another one:

I saw this movie on cable tv (Showtime, as I remember, in August) around 1983-1986. It involved a man, who as I remember kinda looked like Richard Chamberlain (he maybe a scientist or something) who goes through a portal of somekind. A secretary (or maybe she was his girlfriend) comes through with him. As I remember, they found some test objects that had been sent through the portal (one of which I remember to be the secretary/girlfriend's make-up compact.) I can't remember what exactly what the plot is, but I remember certain bits: they meet some tall guy (he might have been green-skinned) who can call animals with some special power; another scene where they sneak around in the early morning planting gunpowder bombs, and someone almost drops one; they meet a thief-type of person who helps them; the hero had a watch that played music, and he said to the thief, something to the effect of "if you help us, it's yours"; and the very last scene had them escaping back home through the portal, ending with a close-up on the thief, and him calling out, "What about the watch?". Can anyone tell me what this is? I had one suggestion that this might be the movie "Dungeonmaster", but I can't find a copy of that to be sure. Thanks!

Last edited by Forum Troll; 06-30-05 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-24-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first one is obviously Gone With The Wind. I think the second one may be Batman, but I'm not certain.
Old 07-24-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I may be nuts but I'm sure I saw that second one. The part about the watch sounds familiar. Can't help you with the name, sorry.

Oh, the first one... that's called LSD my friend.
Old 07-24-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Actually, if you squint real hard the first one made me think of Wargames (with quite a few mistakes).

The second one, well, that happened to me last week, maybe you saw the story on the nightly news?
Old 07-24-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Could the first one be Cloak and Dagger? I haven't seen that in almost 20 years so I don't remember much about it.
Old 07-24-04, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by johnglass
The first one is obviously Gone With The Wind. I think the second one may be Batman, but I'm not certain.
Old 07-24-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, here's one I saw the first 20 minutes or so to, and don't remember anything about it. I remember it about as vividly as I remember a dream from 20 years ago... so maybe I'm just making it up...

A guy is like, a talk radio host or something, and someone calls in complaining about something, and the host guy agrees with him, but as a result of this, the guy goes and shoots up a store or something, and the host loses a job. Then the host is in a street, and he finds a pinoccio puppet... or something...
Old 07-24-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally posted by BizRodian
A guy is like, a talk radio host or something, and someone calls in complaining about something, and the host guy agrees with him, but as a result of this, the guy goes and shoots up a store or something, and the host loses a job. Then the host is in a street, and he finds a pinoccio puppet... or something...
That one is definately THE FISHER KING, with Jeff Bridges and Robin Williams.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101889/
Old 07-24-04, 05:18 PM

Ok, here's one I saw the first 20 minutes or so to, and don't remember anything about it. I remember it about as vividly as I remember a dream from 20 years ago... so maybe I'm just making it up...

I'm pretty sure that's The Fisher King.
Old 07-24-04, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Drexl
Could the first one be Cloak and Dagger? I haven't seen that in almost 20 years so I don't remember much about it.
That's what I thought of too.
Old 07-25-04, 06:03 AM
Suspended

Neither is Cloak and Dagger, I am sure. That one stars Henry Thomas and Dabney Coleman.
Old 07-27-04, 02:34 AM

Originally posted by Forum Troll
Neither is Cloak and Dagger, I am sure. That one stars Henry Thomas and Dabney Coleman.
BTW....I'm curious why this is an "URGENT" request.
Old 07-27-04, 03:51 AM
Suspended

Not really urgent, that word is just an eyecatcher. Makes the thread look more important. =P
Old 07-27-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Forum Troll
Not really urgent, that word is just an eyecatcher. Makes the thread look more important. =P
[BANNED]!!!
Old 08-23-04, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jay G.
That one is definately THE FISHER KING, with Jeff Bridges and Robin Williams.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101889/
Hey, thanks. How close was I?
Old 08-24-04, 12:05 AM
Banned

Those were two of my five personal favorite screenplays, currently in development!

(I hope you have a good lawyer, because I am one!)
Old 08-24-04, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Kudama
Those were two of my five personal favorite screenplays, currently in development!

(I hope you have a good lawyer, because I am one!)
I'm confused.
Old 08-24-04, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Hey, thanks. How close was I?
Pretty much spot-on.
Spoiler:
The shooter shoots up a bar, not a store. Also, there's a bit of stuff between the talk show host losing his job and finding the pinnochio doll (not puppet).
Other than that though your recount was instantly recognizable.
Old 06-30-05, 02:21 PM
Suspended

Anyone remember these?