'Sopranos' Won't Be Back Before '06

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-04, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'Sopranos' Won't Be Back Before '06

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve...525|1|,00.html

(Friday, July 23 09:34 AM)
By Rick Porter

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) "The Sopranos" is up for 20 Emmy Awards this year, but it looks like it won't be in the competition at all in 2005.

HBO chairman Chris Albrecht told reporters at the TV Critics Association press tour Thursday (July 22) that the mob drama's earliest likely return date is the first quarter of 2006. On the plus side, it's possible that creator David Chase will deliver more than the previously announced 10 episodes for the show's final season.

Fans of the show are, by now, used to long delays between new seasons of "The Sopranos." They waited 16 months between the show's third and fourth seasons -- a delay that kept the series out of Emmy contention in 2002 -- and 15 months between the fourth and fifth.

The gap between season five, which ended in June, and season six will probably be between 18 and 21 months. "It's like the Harry Potter book," Albrecht says. "You'll wait for the sequel and be very happy to get it."

Albrecht also says that there's "an inside chance" Chase will come through with more than 10 episodes for the final season. "We've talked to him about it. He hasn't said no," Albrecht says. "And with David, that's always a very good sign."

In the meantime, several other HBO dramas will fill the gap. "The Wire" is set to open its third season in December, while both "Carnivale" and "Deadwood" are expected back in the first half of 2005.

By that time most people won't even care about the Sopranos anymore!

Chris
Old 07-23-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: 'Sopranos' Won't Be Back Before '06

Originally posted by mrpayroll
By that time most people won't even care about the Sopranos anymore!

Chris
It's so long between seasons now (not as long as this) that I lost interest on this already. Great show but there is just too much to do (entertainment wise) than for me to care anymore. Too bad for the fans that have stuck around this long.
Old 07-23-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry but two years between seasons is unacceptable.
Old 07-23-04, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Eh, doesn't bother me. It's a long wait, but...

A. This allows people who are watching it via DVD to finally 'catch up' to the current HBO showings.

B. There's a lot of other stuff for me to watch. I'll get to The Sopranos whenever they decide to put it on.
Old 07-23-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
bullshit. complete and utter bullshit. there is nothing that would demand that long of a delay. nothing other than egos that is.

bullshit.
Old 07-23-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Eh, hasn't it always been like that?

Folks can either accept it or just forget about it. The power of dvd allows us to easily catch up with what was going on so I'm not to worried.
Old 07-23-04, 06:42 PM
Banned

I can't believe some people get pissed at this. Just be happy there is going to be another season. Seriously, 2006 will be here before we know it.
Old 07-23-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by brizz
bullshit. complete and utter bullshit. there is nothing that would demand that long of a delay. nothing other than egos that is.

bullshit.
Go smoke a bowl or something.
Old 07-23-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hopefully it can be written to end in a big bang with a unexpected 7th season or a theatrical movie.
Old 07-23-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts
Maybe it dosen't bother me because I only watch these HBO shows on DVD, but how is this any different from having a two year gap between James Bond or Star Trek movies. Did we all get spoiled with the Lord of the Rings movies being released one after the other?

I'm sure someone can tell me the answer, but does The Sopranos have a longer production period, or is it relatively the same with other hour long dramas?

Last edited by Crocker Jarmen; 07-23-04 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-23-04, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Crocker Jarmen
Maybe it dosen't bother me because I only watch these HBO shows on DVD, but how is this any different from having a two year gap between James Bond or Star Trek movies. Did we all get spoiled with the Lord of the Rings movies being released one after the other?

I'm sure someone can tell me the answer, but does The Sopranos have a longer production period, or is it relatively the same with other hour long dramas?
You're comparing movies that have millions of dollars worth of set designs and special effects with a TV show set in New Jersey?
Old 07-23-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally posted by Bust

I can't believe some people get pissed at this. Just be happy there is going to be another season. Seriously, 2006 will be here before we know it.

No shit. Much ado about nothing.
Old 07-23-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Bust

My guess is 1 year 5 months and 8 days from this post
Old 07-23-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A two year wait would have been great for a show like 24. Have the writers have all the time to actually plot out solid, logical episodes and have one strong season throughout.

Long time to wait for only 10-13 episodes of Sopranos, however.
Old 07-23-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Isn't this par for the course with this series? No one should be surprised. This won't be any longer of a wait than the wait was between seasons four and five. Besides, we know this is the final season...I'm not anxious for it to end, so I have no problem waiting. The reason the show is so good is because they don't rush things - off the air or on the screen!
Old 07-24-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I guess this is as good a time as any for me to get up to speed on the show. I've only seen about a half-dozen episodes, but I really liked them. Better get going on my Netflix queue.
Old 07-24-04, 12:24 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I heard somewhere before that we wouldn't see the final season for another year and a half. So, since I already expected it, not a big deal to me.
Old 07-24-04, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
They had a 15 month hiatus after S4, and look what they shat out for S5. I say give them the two years if that's what it takes to create a decent season.
Old 07-24-04, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only problem I have with such a delay is I can never remember much about the previous season and miss out on a lot I likely would've caught otherwise.

Other than that, there's plenty other TV to keep me occupied.
Old 07-25-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Personally I'm more bothered by how damn long it takes for HBO shows to appear on DVD.
Old 07-25-04, 11:37 AM

In the meantime, several other HBO dramas will fill the gap. "The Wire" is set to open its third season in December, while both "Carnivale" and "Deadwood" are expected back in the first half of 2005.
At least Deadwood won't be taking a long break. By the end of Deadwood first season I was looking foward to it more than the Sopranos. I am also looking forward to trying out the Wire and seeing if Carnivale builds on the strong ending it had in the last few eps.
Though I wish Sopranos would be back in the fall 05, I can live with 2006 if there are a few more eps. All I know is with such a long break the last season better not disappoint.

BTW isn't there supposed show set during the Roman Empire due this year or next?
Old 08-10-04, 06:40 PM

I think it's a long time to wait. X-Files put out 20-24 episodes per season every year at the same time. They even found the time to stick a major motion picture in the middle.

16 month wait is way too long. I'm not pissed about it, I just don't see the reasoning.
Old 08-11-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
Hopefully it can be written to end in a big bang with a unexpected 7th season or a theatrical movie.
Not likely. Chase has been quoted repeatedly about a motion picture:
"I think this last 10 episodes," Chase said, referring to the concluding miniseason, "will be that movie. That's the plan."
You yourself posted in one thread about this, 68ShelbyGT500KR, insisting there would be a movie down the line. Please read the thread I've linked above. CHASE IS WRAPPING EVERYTHING UP. There will not be a movie because he's addressing everything in the 10+ more episodes that will be season 6 (much longer than a theatrical film would be able to be!).

In the immortal words of Carly Simon - "Anticipation is making me late, is keeping me waiting!"

Last edited by rfduncan; 08-11-04 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-11-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
But didn't chase also insist for the longest time that there'd only be five seasons?

He may be serious about the movie, though.

16 month wait is way too long. I'm not pissed about it, I just don't see the reasoning.
I totally agree.