Community
Search

Question about DVD's at Wal-Mart

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Question about DVD's at Wal-Mart

I am pretty sure I have heard that Wal-Mart puts new releases on sale the first week just like BB,CC,etc does.But the Wal-Marts around where I live have never done this.So today i decided to ask the lady who runs the Electronics dept. why they dont do it when other Wal-Marts do.She said all Wal-Marts do the same thing and that they dont put them on sale but they will price-match.Of course that still doesnt give me any incentive to buy from them since i get Reward Zone points at BB.

So my question is can anyone confirm for me that their Wal-Mart actually puts new releases on sale and doesnt just price match?I wish there was some way i could prove it to the people here.
Old 07-23-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I can confirm that my Wal*Mart puts new "mainstream" releases on sale the first week.

I've picked up Big Fish and The Butterfly Effect for $14.24... and that's the normal price.
Old 07-23-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe that Wal*Mart prices change depending on how close the competition is. If there's a Best Buy across the street they'll have better prices then if there isn't. I'd guess there's no major stores selling DVDs near your Wal*Mart.
Old 07-23-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally posted by MEJHarrison
I believe that Wal*Mart prices change depending on how close the competition is. If there's a Best Buy across the street they'll have better prices then if there isn't. I'd guess there's no major stores selling DVDs near your Wal*Mart.
Your right.The nearest one is like 30 miles from here.
Old 07-23-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Wal-Mart doesn't sale price their New Releases. They mark the price down after the first price-match.

Also, I live next to the highest grossing Wal Mart in the southeast.
Old 07-23-04, 12:26 PM

Also, I live next to the highest grossing Wal Mart in the southeast.
That must mean there are alot of rednecks around! Lol

Jk

Last edited by flyboy; 07-23-04 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-23-04, 01:26 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My Walmart sometimes makes you wait one day after the release date to put the disc on sale.
Old 07-23-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally posted by MEJHarrison
I think that's true in my area.
Old 07-28-04, 03:01 AM

Wal-Mart new release pricing

Some of it depends upon the initiative of the audio/video manager. The manager at the store I frequent actively searches all the Sunday newspaper ads for the lowest price for any given title and marks them below that lowest price, regardless of proximity of the Wal-Mart to that store. For example, Target may sometimes have a better price than Best Buy for a certain title but not for everything else. Or K-Mart may have a hot title priced as a loss leader way below what anybody else is offering. With the way this manager prices, it saves driving to four or five stores to save a couple bucks on each title. The only problems at times have been availability of less popular mainstream or catalog titles as well as occasionally lacking a decent quantity of widescreen versions if released separately.
Old 07-28-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My WallyMart, having no competition within 15 miles or so, does not discount DVD's except for the usual bins/racks.
Old 07-28-04, 08:26 AM

At the last store inventory, they found that my Wal-Mart had lost $4,000 worth of DVDs. That combined with BB, Target & CC being 20 miles away means that everything is full priced. Still, there's always pricematching.
Old 07-28-04, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just check the bargains forum regularly and you can see the extreme difference in pricing at Walmarts across the country, proving that all Walmarts are NOT the same.