Search

A New "Flight of the Phoenix"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-04, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A New "Flight of the Phoenix"?

DVDFile sez:

Last but not least, Fox will debut the inspiration war drama The Flight of the Phoenix, starring Jimmy Stewart, on October 12th. Presented in anamorphic widescreen and Dolby 2.0 surround, extras include a restoration comparison and theatrical trailers. Retail will be a mere $14.95.

This doesn't sound like a mere re-release, since it features extras not incuded on the current release. Was there anything wrong with the transfer on the disc released just last year?
Old 07-22-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this answers my question. Here is a customer review of the current disc taken from Amazon:

I had seen this movie probably half a dozen times over the years, and had always loved it. When it finally came out on DVD this year, I had to get it, but was VERY disappointed when I watched the DVD. As I was watching it, I kept saying to myself "this doesn't seem right"....and then I realized that there were quite a few shortened and even missing scenes from the original. Some of the missing scenes are quite significant. There is a scene where the group is moving the wing with the pulleys, and Capt. Towns stops them for no good reason, just to show that he is in charge. The whole scene where Towns and Dorfman have a silent standoff is missing, leading up to Dorfman asking the whole group "who is in authority here". I can go on and on with missing or shortened scenes. Very disappointing to me.I have read 35 other reviews and no one else has mentioned the shortened scenes. I am going to purchase the old VHS, to see the original version.

A double-dip may be in order.
Old 07-22-04, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for posting that, I was wondering too.
Cover art looked the same on DVDfile and it made it sound as though it were the first issue.
Old 07-23-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

bah, *smacks fox* .. i bought flight of the phoenix a few months ago (never saw it before) .. wouldn't have bought it knowing it was "missing scenes" .. wonder if it was intended or if fox screwed up ..dvdfile doesn't mention if it's a re-release or if there's more footage or whatever..need clairfication ...i want a good copy :x
Old 07-23-04, 10:59 AM

I wonder - as was pointed out to me - if it hasn't more to do with the fact that the remake is in post-production and should be rolled out soon?
Old 07-23-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by John Hodson
I wonder - as was pointed out to me - if it hasn't more to do with the fact that the remake is in post-production and should be rolled out soon?
probably, since the new film comes out on Oct 22, and I just noticed that the current disc doesn't include the "restoration comparison" (at least I don't remember it having it, although it's listed as a special feature on dvdplanet's page so It may just be something I missed)

also noticed the MSRP for the "original" disc was $14.98, and dvdfile says MSRP $19.95 .. maybe the small 3 cent "price reduction" to give it publicity to coincide with the new movie?
Old 07-23-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Are movies like Flight of the Phoenix, Quest for Fire, 300 Spartans, and Journey to the Center of the Earth part of a particular line of fox titles? The covers have the same style and the DVDs are comparably priced. All that's missing are the spine numbers and a banner on the cover.
Old 07-23-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think they're called "Fox War Classics"
Old 07-23-04, 05:36 PM

Remember - there are all kinds of "film experts" around that aren't experts at all. I'd like to know with what authority this fellow on Amazon speaks. I may have seen this in the theater when it was first released, but that would have been a very long time ago and I'd very hard pressed to recall differences between the video and theatrical versions.
Old 07-24-04, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, my first thought after seeing that Amazon review is to call 'bullshit' too. I've seen dozens of reviews of this film, and have yet to hear of any 'missing footage'. Seems like there would be more of an outcry when this first came out. I suspect the Amazon dude is either (a) misremembering the film or (b) saw some sort of TV print with alternate/extended footage.
Old 07-24-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The coverart shown at DVDfile is exactly the same as the currently available DVD. I just assumed DVDfile had confused an up-coming price reduction or repackaging or something. Has this been confirmed anywhere else?
Old 07-24-04, 06:04 PM

Most likely promoting the *existing* DVD with the upcoming theatrical remake with Dennis Quaid?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377062/

Christian
Old 07-24-04, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, this is just a repromote. The proof is at Fox's press site, where the UPC for this "new" DVD is the same as the old DVD. If this were a new edition, it would have a different UPC, as is Fox's standard practice.

DVD File often makes these kinds of errors. How can a studio "debut" a movie on DVD that has already been released on DVD? The item is written as if DVD File didn't know it was previously released, which apparently the site didn't.

Last edited by rasalas; 07-24-04 at 11:33 PM.