Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Good Lord! Look what's number one on Billboard's album chart this week? (7/22)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Jimmy Buffet!!! In all the years I've been reading Billboard, I don't recall ever seeing this guy in the Top 20. I'm sure his albums have sold quite well given the number of people who go to see him live. Still. Wow.
Old 07-22-04, 05:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have any Buffet fans here heard the new compilation? If so, what do you think?
Old 07-22-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
Have any Buffet fans here heard the new compilation? If so, what do you think?
Do you mean Meet Me in Margaritaville? If so, I bought that when it came out last year. The re-recorded songs are okay, but nothing spectacular. Personally, I'd just get the box set, which is great, and pick up a couple of the CDs that came out after it (Fruitcakes and Banana Wind). You can find the box set fairly cheap on ebay.

So far, I've passed on his new CD. I'm not really into contemporary country, so all of the guest stars kind of turned me off. I'll still give it a listen and then decide.
Old 07-23-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm listening to clips from his website, and man, this is PURE country. I hardly know Buffet at all, but from what I have heard, (and my boss is a Buffet freak, so I actually do hear the music quite a bit) this album is nothing like him, except for the last song, which is called "Back to the Island". As country music, I liked what I heard, so maybe this will be my first Buffet disk.
Old 07-23-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I almost choked when I saw this was number one. Yowza. I read that his last 5 or so albums all debuted in the Top Ten.
Old 07-28-04, 10:47 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Good Lord! Look what's number one on Billboard's album chart this week? (7/22)

Originally posted by Daytripper
Jimmy Buffet!!! In all the years I've been reading Billboard, I don't recall ever seeing this guy in the Top 20. I'm sure his albums have sold quite well given the number of people who go to see him live. Still. Wow.

He's actually been in the Top 20 plenty of times. Something along the lines of seven of his last ten albums have made it into the Top 10. He had never had a #1 album until License to Chill though... #4 was his previous best.
Old 07-28-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wait 'til you see who will be #1 this week. None other than the epitome of a no-talent ass-clown, Ashley Simpson.

Back to reality, warped as it may be.