Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Evangelion Platinum - Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evangelion Platinum - Is it worth it?

With the new Evangelion platinum series starting to be released next week, I'm wondering if I should re-invest in Evangelion because of all of the extras.

Supposedly, the new dvds are numbered and limited in supply, so do you think that there will be a boxset of these dvds released or should I just start buying them next week?

Also, do you think its really worth it to rebuy the entire series to get all of the director's cut dvds and the commentaries?

Thanks
Old 07-22-04, 12:25 PM

Volume 1 can be purchased with a box to hold all the DVDs. The DVDs themselves are not limited; just the slipcovers for the DVDs and (from what I've heard, though I don't believe it) the box.

I think upgrading is definitely worth it--however, it's gonna be more expensive if you get them as they come out rather than wait until they're all out. If they don't sell a complete boxset in the end, I will be very surprised. Considering that the old release of Eva was sold in individual volumes and then in a box, I can't see why this one won't be as well. Personally, I'm waiting, because I'm on a rather tight budget right now.
Old 07-22-04, 02:05 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Check the link below for a comparison of the original and R2 Renewal releases. Apparently, the Platinum version has the remastered video and 5.1 soundtrack from the R2 Renewal.

http://gallery.felixmcli.org/gallery/eva-renewal-orig

You may not get a boxed version of all 7 EVA Platinum DVDs for a very long time, if they would release a boxed version at all. ADVfilms so far has not released a boxed version of a series for which they also released the volume 1 DVD + Artbox version.
Old 07-22-04, 02:57 PM

ive never seen envangelion : is there a site with trailer etc on it?... thanks.
Old 07-22-04, 03:44 PM
Banned

Originally posted by logboy
If you can just try and see a few shows of it. I hated this show so bad it's not even funny. People seem to like it or hate it. I myself hated it and hated it something bad.
Old 07-22-04, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by logboy
http://www.advfilms.com/trailers.asp?f=w&t=1656&q=2
Old 07-23-04, 07:22 PM

why oh why must the old box be cooler than the new box?
Old 07-23-04, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do all copies of vol. 1 come with the box? Nothing mentioned on the DVDEmpire website about it (I've got GC's to use there).
Old 07-23-04, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by cartman
Do all copies of vol. 1 come with the box? Nothing mentioned on the DVDEmpire website about it (I've got GC's to use there).
No the regular version without box retails for $29.98 and Vol. 1 w/box retails for $39.98.
Old 07-25-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, it was expensive enough the first time.
Old 07-25-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sort of like the new box.. but I also like the old box.. What ever will I do??
Old 07-25-04, 10:16 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I sort of like the new box.. but I also like the old box.. What ever will I do??
The old box and the new box are of different sizes. Old one has 8 volumes and the new one will have 7 voumes plus slipcovers. Keep the old volumes in the old box and the platinum volumes in the new box. That's what I would do
Old 07-26-04, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I purchased the LE box for the old set too, and will be purchasing this. Will the later episodes like 21-26 be the directors cut as well?
Old 07-26-04, 03:06 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

AnimeOnDVD forum says that that the platinum will include both the regular and director's cut.
Old 07-26-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by outcastja
I purchased the LE box for the old set too, and will be purchasing this. Will the later episodes like 21-26 be the directors cut as well?
I believe that they will be.

So I guess that I'll just try and wait for Rightstuf to package them in some kind of deal since I don't really care about the limited edition box, I just want the remastered/director's cut episodes.
Old 07-26-04, 02:51 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by outcastja
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that they will be.

So I guess that I'll just try and wait for Rightstuf to package them in some kind of deal since I don't really care about the limited edition box, I just want the remastered/director's cut episodes.
You will probably be waiting a few years. ADV has said the release schedule for this will be slower then normal. Also, as noted a couple posts up I think, both the DC and Regular versions (both remastered) of the later eps will be on the disks.
And the box and the slipcovers are no longer limited, the box was originally slated to be a LE and they changed that, so they made the slipcovers non-LE also. I THINK(?!) the only LI in the Box + 1 is the parking decal and booklet.
Old 07-26-04, 09:35 PM

Good to know the box is no longer limited.
Old 07-27-04, 07:34 PM

Even though I'm an avid fan, I went ahead and sold my PC to make room for this. The remastered video and added extras are enough in my book.
Old 07-28-04, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by WhiteRob
Even though I'm an avid fan, I went ahead and sold my PC to make room for this. The remastered video and added extras are enough in my book.
Yep, so did I, and I ended up getting more for it used on ebay than what I paid for it new!

Also, I think I should point out that I examined both the single disc and box earlier today, and there are no limited items available in the box. Everything the box would come with (decal, booklet, slipcover) comes with the regular disc.
Old 07-28-04, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Has it been announced how many eps will be on each disc? I mean, if it's a 7 volume set, and they put 5 on the first one, the numbers will have to vary. It would be great to see a rerelase of End of Evangelion too.
Old 07-28-04, 04:03 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Release of End of Evangelion? Unlikely. Manga has the license to Death & Rebirth and End of Evangelion. I wish ADV did, then we would probably have the 'Renewal' instead of 'Platinum' (Renewal includes the remastered version of the two movies).
Old 07-28-04, 01:37 PM

Has it been announced how many eps will be on each disc? I mean, if it's a 7 volume set, and they put 5 on the first one, the numbers will have to vary. It would be great to see a rerelase of End of Evangelion too.
I would imagine it will go 5,5,5,5,4,4,4 With the 4 ep disks having 2 DC eps and the corresponding regular eps. But I am guessing.
Old 07-29-04, 02:58 PM

If I could put forth my personal opinion on Evangelion, there are many plusses and also minuses. I found the overall plot with the spiritual overtones to be very intriguing, if a little vague (big surprise). One of the biggest problems for me was that all the characters were so bloody whiny and annoying! I mean, if it weren't for the plot, action and effects, I would have had a hard time finishing it.

Also, I had to purchase the "end of evangelion" movie for the ending to make any sense.

mud...
Old 07-29-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i pre-ordered Vol.1 (with artbox), but it's backordered so i don't have it in hand. am i correct in that it will include Vol.1 with slipcover?

Originally posted by Corwyn
And the box and the slipcovers are no longer limited, the box was originally slated to be a LE and they changed that, so they made the slipcovers non-LE also. I THINK(?!) the only LI in the Box + 1 is the parking decal and booklet.
Old 07-29-04, 04:42 PM

Yes, the slipcover for vol. 1 comes with the vol. 1 + artbox package.

I caved and picked it up at Best Buy yesterday. I had seen still comparison shots before, but man... the improvement in video quality and the 5.1 mix are orgasmic.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.