Search

Howard Stern thinks Paramount screwed up Private Parts DVD

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-04, 08:24 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howard Stern thinks Paramount screwed up Private Parts DVD

From HowardStern.com:

"A caller asked Howard why he hasn't put out a special edition DVD for "Private Parts" with tons of extras like deleted scenes, commentary, etc. Howard said he really wanted to, but Paramount rushed the DVD out so fast without doing any work to it. Howard tried to buy the rights to the DVD so he could put his own extras on it, but Paramount refused, saying they didn't want to be embarrassed if he ended up making tons of money on it. So they are just keeping the DVD locked up. Howard doesn't understand their logic, and said he could think of great deleted scenes to add. Howard also wants to get the rights to his old Channel 9 show and put out a comprehensive DVD package with that, but again, WWOR won't release his tapes. They are locked in a warehouse somewhere. Someone suggested that Howard hire the guy who stole the Pamela Anderson/Tommy Lee tape to steal his tapes back."

From MarksFriggin.com:

"A caller asked Howard if he is ever going to put out another version of ''Private Parts'' with extra features included. Howard wanted to do that when they put the movie out but Paramount didn't want to do it. They just put the movie out. Howard said they had about 30-45 minutes of stuff that they could have used as extras for the movie. He even claims that he offered to buy the rights to the movie from Paramount but they didn't let him do that. He claims they didn't want him to do it and embarrass them by making a lot of money with it. He said there are a lot of people who have a bug up their ass about him. The old WWOR (Channel 9) shows are locked up in a vault and they won't let him put them out on DVD or anything like that. He wanted to put out the pilot they shot for them because the executives at the station walked out of the building as they were shooting it.

That led to Howard talking about how Jay Leno walked off his own show when he had a couple of lesbians on with him one time. He wondered how that guy could walk off the show like that instead of just throwing him off the show. Arsenio got it right when he had two security guards walk him off the show when he got upset with his appearance. Howard had commented on a band that was on Arsenio's show and went off on FOX about how they had killed Edgar Rosenberg. They stopped taping on that show when he brought that up. Artie said he would pay through the nose to see those Channel 9 shows on DVD. Howard wants to try again to get those shows because the guy who gave him a hard time is apparently gone now. Howard hopes that they still have those tapes locked up in a vault somewhere safe. "
Old 07-21-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
At the very least, Paramount could have given PRIVATE PARTS an anamorphic transfer, like they did in R2. I broke down and bought a German edition so I could wach it in widescreen (well, that an I enjoy listening to Pig Vomit's rants in German). I wonder what Howard would say if someone called and told him you could get a better version of PP in France than in the US...
Old 07-21-04, 08:55 PM

...Pig Vomit's rants in German...

mmmm.... the potential!....
Old 07-21-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Paramount + Special Edition! Yeah that happens often.
Old 07-21-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What a freakin' disgrace when an artist can't display their work the way they want to.
Old 07-21-04, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Although I expect that there is at least leeetle-bit more to the story than what we get to hear from Stern, I wanted to use this opportunity to harp on one of my favorite points -- this is yet another example, in a very long line of examples, of how modern copyright laws have the reverse of their stated effect, e.g. to make *more* art available to the public.

Support copyright reform that takes power away from the "copyright industry" who don't create anything except distribution bottlenecks and gives it back to the artists and to the public.
Old 07-21-04, 09:34 PM

That's odd. I swear I heard somewhere that Howard Stern is opposed to revisiting Private Parts on DVD because of his divorce. I have to admit, I kinda see his point. The fact that he and Alison ended their marriage does undermine a lot of the film.

But if he's still interested in doing an SE, then Paramount should take him up on that. They're starting to redo earlier bare bones titles like the Star Trek series, Footloose, and The Untouchables. I think Private Parts deserves a double dip, especially since the original DVD is non-anamorphic and doesn't even include the trailer.
Old 07-21-04, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember hearing him, about a year ago, say he offered to buy the rights to the film from Paramount so he could put out a packed SE. But they wouldn't sell.
Old 07-21-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Old news. From what I've heard, even before the DVD came out, Howard approached Paramount about doing an SE, and they flat-out refused.
Old 07-21-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did somebody say Criterion? Ok, that would be a little much but maybe Anchor Bay or something could buy the rights.
Old 07-22-04, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Amel
What a freakin' disgrace when an artist can't display their work the way they want to.
He wrote a book, sold the rights, was cast as himself.

Howard Stern did not produce this movie.
Howard Stern did not write the screenplay for this movie.
Howard Stern did not direct this movie.

So how is the movie HIS work?
Old 07-22-04, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Whatever, it's a good movie and all, but it's not giong to hold its appeal when the generation that has to go without Howard Stern doesn't grow up hearing him on the radio. Private Parts I fear is giong to fall through the cracks eventually as one of those films that won't withstand the test of time.
Old 07-22-04, 09:35 AM

Howard is just trying to play the victim here. If he wanted to, he could talk to Paramount to get them to do a special edition of the DVD. Paramount knows it will sell, they would do it. But, like so many of his other projects, he makes an announcement, loses interest, and forgets about it.

Same with the Channel 9 shows. If he really wanted to get them released, he could do it. But, he probably had someone call Channel 9 once then forgot about it.

He could get Shout Factory involved. They are extremely persistent, just what Howard isn't.
Old 07-22-04, 09:59 AM
Banned

Re: Howard Stern thinks Paramount screwed up Private Parts DVD

Originally posted by ChandlerBiggins

That led to Howard talking about how Jay Leno walked off his own show when he had a couple of lesbians on with him one time. He wondered how that guy could walk off the show like that instead of just throwing him off the show.
Jay did not walk off the show. He just looked extremely uncomfortable especially when the two lesbians made out directly in front of the camera. They edited out Leno's curses and many of his reaction shots, trying to avoid his face through most of the interview and even the following interview with Siskel and Ebert when the lesbians and Howard were still on the couch making out.
Old 07-22-04, 10:16 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
I don't really care about Private Parts, but to have his Channel 9 show released on DVD...
Old 07-22-04, 11:31 AM

They've been showing Private Parts on Cinemax lately; I forgot how good it is. I'd definitely buy an SE of it.
Old 07-22-04, 12:43 PM

Would love to have those channel 9 shows and his pay per view specials on DVD!
Old 07-22-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Amel

Old 07-22-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Geofferson
I don't really care about Private Parts, but to have his Channel 9 show released on DVD...
definatly agree with that... We had the old channel 9 show here (Orlando) before his radio program was syndicated here.
Old 07-23-04, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by Geofferson
I worked on those WWOR TV shows as an assistant cameraman back in 1990. I too hope these shows are eventually released because they were alot of fun to do.

Favorite moment: Howard is in the hot tub with bikini clad models hopping up and down. One of the models jumps a bit too much dropping her top. The cameraman I was holding cable for nudges me and says "Quick, look at the monitor, look at the monitor!" I'm standing about a foot and a half from the model, I look at him and say "Monitor Shmonitor, I'm seeing it LIVE!"
Old 07-23-04, 11:34 AM
Cool New Member

Well I love Howard and but those channel 9 shows dont hold up too well. I'd love if they let him do a Private Parts Special Edition you could have Howard Robin Fred and Gary do commentary.