Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : What are your favorite video game ENDINGS?

Rivero
07-21-04, 07:16 PM
I really hated working my way through this Tom Clancy sniper game recently only to have the ending be a pathetic Congrats still-screen and ten minutes of shitty credits. what are your fave video game endings? Ones that actually in the end make all the sweat and tears somewhat worth it?

cheapskate
07-21-04, 07:44 PM
http://webpages.charter.net/cheapskate/images/baddudes.jpg

shizawn
07-21-04, 07:44 PM
The Planescape: Torment ending definitely wasn't your typical Hollywood-type ending, and was very refreshing.

The Star Control 2 ending/credits was one of the best ever.

beefjerky
07-21-04, 07:52 PM
Final Fantasy 8. I really enjoyed the whole atmosphere of the game, and the ending was definitely a big payoff.

V-ism
07-21-04, 07:55 PM
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/nes/a/mariobros-2.gif

trigun
07-21-04, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by cheapskate
http://webpages.charter.net/cheapskate/images/baddudes.jpg

Damn that was the first one that popped into my head.

Tigger
07-21-04, 08:53 PM
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy II U.S.
Tales of Destiny
Chrono Trigger
Zelda NES
Zelda OOT
Planescape: Torment (Props to Shizawn)
Metroid NES
Conker's Bad Fur Day

WORST - Medal of Honor series. You get end mission debrief movie.. and then NADA. No credits, movie.. nothing.

Giantrobo
07-21-04, 11:19 PM
Soul Reaver/ Legacy of Kain series is just about the only Video GAme I love enough to actually complete.

However, if any of you have played them then you know... they don't actually end. But they're still cool "Non-endings"

vaporware
07-21-04, 11:35 PM
KOTOR dark side version

pOpus
07-21-04, 11:56 PM
Commando for the NES...

You played for five straight hours (no saves and only a couple of continues) to get this:

"Congratulation"

All that work, and they couldn't even be bothered to include the s on congratulations. This one game made me appreciate the ending of every other game I ever beat.

theneobez
07-22-04, 12:06 AM
Tom Clancy sniper game
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Metal Gear Solide (any ending that has polar bears makes me cry)

menaz
07-22-04, 05:07 AM
Metal Gear Solid, the ending itself and the credits, that song + the videos playing strike my feelings pretty hard, especially after reading a translation of the song.

Final Fantasy 8, first ending I truly enjoyed and made me think it was all worth it, still comes in 2nd to MGS though.

Parasite Eve, I dont even remember the ending, I just remember really enjoying that entire game up to the very end.

Lara Means
07-22-04, 05:25 AM
Zelda: Link to the Past
Mega Man 2

kneijst1
07-22-04, 09:58 AM
Seeing how I havent actually finished a game in a long time (besides Dungeon Siege on the PC, which ending sucked), I'll have to say FF 1-3. I'm currently near the end of FF X, so I'm hoping they'll be a decent ending to it. I've never played FF 8, so maybe I'll have to go back to that until FF 13 comes out (I'm skipping FF11 cause I dont have internet at home, and FF12 because the story of 3 chicks fighting doesnt interest me).

Shagrath
07-22-04, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by kneijst1
I've never played FF 8, so maybe I'll have to go back to that until FF 13 comes out (I'm skipping FF11 cause I dont have internet at home, and FF12 because the story of 3 chicks fighting doesnt interest me).

The one with "3 chicks fighting" is X-2, which is actually "Ten Part 2", FF12 is a totally new story with a totally new cast, and it's not all female.

As for good endings, one that pops into my head was the old PC game, Cyberia.

jrutz
07-22-04, 10:19 AM
I just finished Red Dead Revolver, and even though it wasn't the true ending, I thought when Red took out Diego was the coolest freakin thing I've seen in a videogame in some time.

Great game!

Jeremy

dom56
07-22-04, 10:28 AM
Final Fantasy 9 was the best ending for me IMO.

KnightLerxst
07-22-04, 10:36 AM
Simon's Quest

finbogg
07-22-04, 10:47 AM
Prince of Persia:Sands of Time has one of the most soild endings I can remember. Does a great job of reallwrapping everything up.

Dean Kousoulas
07-22-04, 11:36 AM
Kingdom Hearts

scoot95
07-22-04, 11:50 AM
I second Kingdom Hearts......

Can't wait for Part 2 coming out soon....

Tarantino
07-22-04, 12:20 PM
Shenmue...even though it didn't technically end...

Bluebomber
07-22-04, 12:24 PM
Final Fantasy X had a very bittersweet ending, Yuna's speech at the end is what made it a favorite

KOTOR's dark side ending was badass, more games need to end on such an evil wins note.

Setzer
07-22-04, 12:26 PM
Final Fantasy VIII was also my favorite ending, followed closely by Final Fantasy IX.

Josh H
07-22-04, 12:30 PM
Final Fantasy III (VI in Japan) VII and X.
Zelda: OOT
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Lastblade
07-22-04, 12:40 PM
I have to echo Prince of Persia Sands of Time, that ending took me by surprise, I know it sounds ridiculous, but it is so well done that it is actually worth playing the game just to see it. It is unlike most of the typical videogame endings.

Aside from that, I enjoyed Lunar and Panzer Dragoon Saga....

Joshic
07-22-04, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by shizawn
The Planescape: Torment ending definitely wasn't your typical Hollywood-type ending, and was very refreshing.

The Star Control 2 ending/credits was one of the best ever. :thumbsup:

The Franchise
07-22-04, 02:06 PM
Another vote for FF VIII and MGS (the music was great at the end. what is the translation of the song? I also like the death of sniper wolf scene in the game).

Does anyone know where I can see the end of FFIX? Gamespot had a feature a year or two ago where they hosted the best game endings and FF9 was on there. Can't seem to find it now though. I never finished the game

beefjerky
07-22-04, 04:21 PM
Just a reminder, please hide your spoilers.

Jamezuva
07-22-04, 04:39 PM
The "ending" of Suikoden III was kinda cool in that you could relive the major events throughout the game via the perspective of the bad guys.

Roto
07-22-04, 04:58 PM
Leisure Suit Larry

Chopper
07-22-04, 05:13 PM
I liked the clip after the ending credits in MGS2, and it seemed like that was going to be the story for MGS3, but they obviously went in a different direction...

Lara Means
07-31-04, 05:50 PM
I just remembered that the ending to Skies of Arcadia and Resident Evil Code Veronica were pretty sweet.

nodeerforamonth
08-01-04, 11:00 PM
The endings for Fallout were cool. Different endings each time, depending on what you did in each city and how you acted.

asianxcore
08-01-04, 11:44 PM
most recently:

Beyond Good and Evil

it's somewhat simple, but I really like it :)

darkessenz
08-02-04, 12:56 AM
ff vii

Maybe I will have to play ff 8 with all these recommendations. The sucking magic thing turns me off.

beefjerky
08-02-04, 01:03 AM
With all the flack that FF8 gets, I still say that it's one of my favorite FFs. I really loved the atmosphere of it. Drawing was a pain in the ass, but it let you ridiculously powerful.

Outlaw
08-02-04, 01:29 AM
I really liked MGS's ending, nice music, good story and ending words that wrap up things nicely.

ICO had a nice ending to it, though not original, it was a nice ending after what happens before the last battle.

Of the FF's, I'm agree with FF3, it was neat the way they show all the characters. I also liked FFX's ending, different than the normal ending you'd expect. I'm surprised to see all this love for FF8's ending, I thought it was one of the worst endings of the series, but that might have to do with the fact that I wasn't really feeling the game either.

Kingdom Hearts, and Zelda: OoT were nice too, and of course Earthbound. Its not often you get to play the ending to the game.

Get Me Coffee
08-02-04, 01:56 AM
FFVII and FFIX

Derrich
08-02-04, 08:39 AM
Karateka.

D

stingo
08-03-04, 12:30 PM
The original Starcraft's ending was the best I've seen.

Setzer
08-03-04, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by darkessenz
ff vii

Maybe I will have to play ff 8 with all these recommendations. The sucking magic thing turns me off.

Yah the whole Draw system was a pain in the ass. I remember buying a controller with those turbo features built in, set the game to leave cursor in memory and then would go into a battle and just leave the game going while my characters did nothing but draw magic each turn until they had 100. Mmmmm RPG gaming at it's best :lol:.

The Guardian Force system I thought was cool I just didn't care for the long drawn out sequences each time I summoned them into battle. It was cool to watch the first few times but it got old real fast.

What FFVIII had going for it was a good story, a great soundtrack and one of the best endings to a game ever. If you can get past the major annoyances(Draw system & GF Sequences) then its worth playing through.

thegame370
08-04-04, 06:15 AM
Cool thread! These are some endings i enjoyed:

Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos
Dracula Unleashed
Resident Evil 2
Silent Hill 2 (Especially if you manage to try and get all 5 endings)
Shadow of Destiny (Cool if you get all 5 endings just like SH2)
Ico
Shenmue
Shenmue 2
Kingdom Hearts

Absolute Zero
08-04-04, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by stingo
The original Starcraft's ending was the best I've seen.

I'll second that. Although not an ending, the "starcraft" scene in the end credits of Warcraft III was fun.