Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How was your viewing of I, Robot affected by your prior knowledge of the book?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: My experience with I, Robot (the book) vs. my experience with I, Robot (the movie)
I have read/I am familiar with the book and it helped me enjoy the movie more.
0%
I have read/I am familiar with the book, but my opinion of the movie has nothing to do with it.
21.43%
I have read/I am familiar with the book and the differences made me dislike the movie.
21.43%
I have not read the book, and/but I enjoyed the movie.
35.71%
I have not read the book, and/but I did not like the movie.
7.14%
I have not read the book, but plan on it because I enjoyed the movie.
14.29%
Other???
0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious . . . I'm wondering if the people who come out disliking the movie were affected by having read the book prior.

Please add any comments that are relevant to your vote.
Old 07-19-04, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No twikoff?
Old 07-19-04, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
No twikoff?
I actually debated that for a while.

I decided against it in the end since I am actually curious to know peoples thoughts on it.
Old 07-19-04, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't vote because I haven't seen the movie yet. I did read the book a couple of weeks ago and I just finished The Robots of Dawn by Asimov, which is based in the same univese and is partly based on one of the short stories in I, Robot.

Although, I have to say from the trailer I don't see how the movie could be remotely based on Asimov's principle. At least not those expressed in I, Robot. A true Asimov movie would be much closer to a 2001 than Terminator.
Old 07-19-04, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I enjoyed the movie. though I wasn't bashing it and many people thought I was kissing it's ass. o_O eh. it was entertaining and anything that highlights Converse is always a good thing
Old 07-19-04, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by wmansir
I didn't vote because I haven't seen the movie yet. I did read the book a couple of weeks ago and I just finished The Robots of Dawn by Asimov, which is based in the same univese and is partly based on one of the short stories in I, Robot.

Although, I have to say from the trailer I don't see how the movie could be remotely based on Asimov's principle. At least not those expressed in I, Robot. A true Asimov movie would be much closer to a 2001 than Terminator.
That pretty much sums up what i was thinking. I was somewhat excited when i saw the very first teaser, but the main teaser doesn't resemble anything close to an Asimov story. If anything, that's exactly the kind of story he tried to avoid with the I, Robot series. I saw the movie, it was good popcorn fun.
Old 07-20-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Aside from the title and the laws of robotics, there's really not much related to any Asimov story. Sure, a couple characters have the same names, but they are out of their timelines and have different parts (for lack of a better term) than they do in their own stories. It also kinda bugs me that the manufacturer is US Robotics, not US Robot & Mechanical Men. It's kind of silly, and just a cheap product endorsement. (If you don't know, US Robotics is a real modem/networking brand that originally took its' name as an homage to Asimov's US Robot)