Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk Farscape 4.5 review

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-04, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 357 Likes on 231 Posts

I enjoyed the Farscape 4.5 review, though I think I liked those final episodes more than Holly did. One thing that puzzled me though is that the review says the Farscape miniseries is "rumored (but not confirmed)." Unless that phrase is refering to a long time ago (like when the series ended), that's incorrect--the miniseries is set to run in mid-October and the scifi channel is already advertising it.

As a fan, I appreciated it that the writers let the show end on a cliffhanger because it gave them a reason to come back and finish the story carefully rather than trying to tie things up too quickly. Even if they hadn't been able to finish it, there is something very "Farscape" about ending on a cliffhanger. I'm glad they're continuing the story, but for me, the "to be continued" ending worked in a "we're so screwed" (not just the characters but also the fans) sort of way.

Anyway, this series is just fantastic--funny, thought provoking, action packed, emotional, great special effects--basically all a scifi show should be. With the miniseries coming up, it's a really good series to catch up on this summer.

tasha

Last edited by tasha99; 07-18-04 at 05:12 AM.
Old 07-18-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't really agree with the review either, but I wasn't going to start a thread about it. As a fan of the show, and caught up in the behind-the-scenes drama of the time, I thought it was an absolutely perfect final episode. It embodied the heart and soul of the series, and I could not ask for anything more. I do agree that some of the 'We're So Screwed' trilogy was a bit uneven, though.

das
Old 07-18-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It turns out the sources I was reading for the details about Farscape's finale were dated, and I didn't realize that there actually was going to be a miniseries. Fortunately, I got a helpful email from a reader and found out that yes, the miniseries is coming! And I've edited the review to reflect that, though it doesn't change my overall impression of the concluding episodes as "good but not great."

I only started watching Farscape when I started reviewing the Season 4 episodes, but even with that late start I got totally hooked on the series. I'm very glad that we're going to get the miniseries.
Old 07-19-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if this is the case with Farscape or not, but I've found that people who watched Buffy from the beginning have a generally different set of opinions on certain major episodes/seasons than those who got hooked late and then went back through. There's some overlap, but there's a very clear trend. Anyway, it would be interesting to see if the same thing applies to Farscape. Most everyone I know who saw it from the beginning thought the finale was perfect. I don't have a large enough sample set of the other opinion yet, but I wonder if it correlates in a similar way.

As for the "error" in the review, I just assumed you meant that at the time it aired the mini-series was still rumored.

das