Community
Search

Buffy Season 6 Transfer Error?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-04, 02:05 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffy Season 6 Transfer Error?

As I was watching the episode "Older and Far Away" (Episode 3 on Disc 4), I noticed something odd that doesn't seem like the usual DVD-player-skipping kind of problem.

At Chapter 11, right around the episode's 28:36 mark, Xander is in relative close up moving across the frame from left to right. You have to look closely, but just at the end of the shot before it cuts to a medium shot, Xander's face stretches out to an incredibly wide proportion for just a split second. I've checked this on several players and the same thing happens.

Does this happen for anyone else? It seems to me like something that wouldn't just be one bad disc. Or have you noticed anything similar to this on any other discs?
Old 07-17-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep same thing happens for me but im not sure i would have noticed if you didnt mention it
Old 07-17-04, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's what it looks like:

Old 07-17-04, 06:10 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After taking a video production class (which I'm about to start teaching this fall), I've starting paying attention to every single cut and noticing things like this. It's a cool skill and all, but it's also a curse, because sometimes I'm just sitting there watching and looking for flaws.

And then when I find them, and try to return the disc just in case it's a problem with my disc, the store people look at me like I'm crazy.

I took a disc from the sixth season of Deep Space Nine back to suncoast when I noticed that in remixing the sound for 5.1 for the episode "Behind the Lines", a characters dialogue that had originally been "Hello, Major" had become "'ello Major" (I'd even gone back to my VHS of the original airings to confirm). They played it over and over in the store trying to hear what I was talking about, but it just made me look like a big nerd

Anyways, I'm getting off topic in my own thread.
Old 07-19-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I'll have to compare my copy to the widescreen R2 version, but this could be an artifact of the photography rather than the video transfer. Depending on what lens the DP used, it might have an unintended fish-eye effect on the sides of the frame if the actor missed his mark.
Old 07-19-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, it's a one-frame artifact that looks like it was somehow caused by the editing system.