Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Is it bad to store your DVDs horizontally?

Kimiakane
07-17-04, 10:12 AM
I thought that might grab your attention... :D

I have heard that you should never store your DVDs horizontally. Is there any truth to this (I thought this only applied to VHS tapes) or is it a new urban legend at work?

Copenhagen
07-17-04, 10:33 AM
I want my click back.

Kimiakane
07-17-04, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Copenhagen
I want my click back.

So, that either means I am ignorant of the truth that it is bad or...????

RichDB10
07-17-04, 10:42 AM
I think this harks back to the days of the laserdisc whereby if they were stored horizontally they could be more susceptible to 'warping' which created playback problems....hopefully it shouldn't apply to DVD's as much although if you are stacking them on top of each other horizontally i suppose it would be a good idea not to have too many on top of each other thereby limiting the stress on the ones at the bottom of the pile.

marty888
07-17-04, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Kimiakane
I thought that might grab your attention... :D

It did.

Big deal.

Abob Teff
07-17-04, 11:04 AM
Actually, as DVD enters its 7th year we are still learning about the amazing digital medium. It appears that storing them horizontally actually can cause damage to them. Apparently a design flaw in the dual layer concept will allow information to "bleed" or slip from one layer into the next. Storing them horizontally allows more gravitational pull on the information thus encouraging this informational slip. By storing your discs vertically, the information will be held in place as it has nowhere to go, as well as the fact that the disc was designed to hold information in place across its surface (otherwise centrifugal force would fling the data all over while the disc was spinning away in your player!).

Abob Teff
07-17-04, 11:05 AM
(This thread needed some spicing up!) :D

delirium
07-17-04, 11:14 AM
In all seriousness, I do have some (older) DVDs which on the back cover specifically say to store *vertically* in a cool, dry place.

TomOpus
07-17-04, 11:15 AM
Vertical DVDs = :up:

Vertical pizzas = :down:

viking99
07-17-04, 11:23 AM
:lol:

Kimiakane
07-17-04, 11:37 AM
Okay then, I have some new storeage dilemmas then. Thank you! ;)

Mike Lowrey
07-17-04, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Kimiakane
Okay then, I have some new storeage dilemmas then. Thank you! ;)

Yeah, just think how much room we could save if we could store our pizzas vertically.

eXcentris
07-17-04, 03:28 PM
Square DVD's. :down:

OldBoy
07-17-04, 04:24 PM
The only safe way is to hang them by string from the ceiling so they are free floating in the air. That is the only way to ensure they do not touch anything that might harm or warp them for future use. The air cushions and surrounds them and thus no ill effects from other DVD's or furniture of any kind. My cases remain immaculate and free from grime and other DVD wear, as you will notice if you cram them together either vertically (as most choose to do) or horizonatally (as I guess some do).

The positives also lie in that you don't have to worry about any storage devices/furniture units whatsoever. Not only saves space, but cost. All you need to supply is the string and a step ladder. To play a DVD all I do is open and release.

I have over 300 DVD's and while this may seem like an overhang nightmare, it actually makes for quite a unique decor and the biggest conversation piece I have had in my life.

shawagg
07-17-04, 07:04 PM
Okay either your joke is too long winded or you're being compleatly serious. Either way I'm leaving now. Gotta put my DVDs vertically!

atari2600
07-17-04, 09:11 PM
what kind of FREAK stores their dvds horizontally?!?!?! ive never heard of such crazyness!

emhello
07-17-04, 10:02 PM
:(

Doc Mardan
07-17-04, 11:47 PM
hmm really? iv had mine stored in a shelf drawer horizontally for over a year now... now im worried!

Jeraden
07-18-04, 12:38 AM
An airtight, humidity-controlled, zero-gravity vacuum is the only way to go.

Novasonic
07-18-04, 01:09 AM
Mailing your dvd collections to me is the only real safe way to store them. ;)

Tarantino
07-18-04, 07:19 AM
F all you guys, I store mine diagonally.

gutwrencher
07-18-04, 02:15 PM
I just tossed mine into my 5 meat-freezers downstairs. I figure if I can preserve them....delamination will not be an issue. now the big test...I'm about to thaw-out my Puppetmaster box set! wooo hooo!!!

Brian Shannon
07-18-04, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by atari2600
what kind of FREAK stores their dvds horizontally?!?!?! ive never heard of such crazyness!

Well you can either have them sag down like hat brims from the gravity or you can have them look like Dali's clocks if you store them vertically.

;)

Seriously I have been storing mine horizontally ever since DVD's were sold and have never had a problem.

Duder
07-18-04, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by atari2600

No... human... stacks their discs like this.

Numanoid
07-18-04, 04:53 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if storing them horizontally can cause damage, shouldn't we have vertically mounted DVD drives?

asianxcore
07-18-04, 05:32 PM
well I hope not since I have 10 of them stacked on top of each other, since I ran out of room on my shelves.

gutwrencher
07-18-04, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by asianxcore
well I hope not since I have 10 of them stacked on top of each other, since I ran out of room on my shelves.

only if all 10 are snappers.:p

Dazed
07-18-04, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Numanoid
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if storing them horizontally can cause damage, shouldn't we have vertically mounted DVD drives?

My dvd drive is mounted vertically (its a PS2) ;)

jedidiah
07-18-04, 06:10 PM
Hey folks, no need to be such schmucks... The original poster deserves more respect than this--it was a fair question. I've read in some places that it is bad to store DVDs horizontally--I don't believe that's true, mind you, but filling the thread full of jokes and a few attacks on the OP just isn't called for.

atari2600
07-18-04, 07:46 PM
i hope people realize i was being sarcastic with my comment.

donald gregory
07-18-04, 10:21 PM
"Correct me if I'm wrong, but if storing them horizontally can cause damage, shouldn't we have vertically mounted DVD drives?"

Not if they're not left in there long term.

I was reading somewhere about how even though many people think dvds are sturdy they are actually not, and while people think that's important for the bottoms to be protected, you know from scratches and such, dvds are actually very suseptible from being harmed through the top. I guess the top is very thin, and setting stuff, even light stuff on top of a dvd (why you'd do this I don't know) is a very bad idea.

shawagg
07-19-04, 03:35 AM
Aughh!! I've had a bunch of DVDs sitting horizontaly-- some for over years-- and wouldn't you know it. I pop in my Family Guy and Disc 4 won't work. I look at the disc and it's got all there blots streaking out from the middle! Damn!

Then I just happened to open some of the old WB snappers and there's a warning there to only store them vertically. Damn!

Screw this, from now on it's originals in storage and DVDXcopies on the shelf.

eau
07-19-04, 03:47 AM
I wonder what Austin the librarian would say, he's got his enormous DVD collection in piles stacked horizontally, based on the pics he posted ;)

Anyway, storing optical discs vertically would discourage the possibility of the perfect flatness of the discs to sag or warp due to gravity, I think.

Josh Z
07-19-04, 10:46 AM
Horizontal storage is bad for LPs and laserdiscs. Warpage was a serious issue due to their size and the limited protection offered by their cardboard sleeves.

DVDs are much smaller, and keepcases distribute the weight placed on top of them away from the discs. Warpage is not a legitimate concern. In over two decades of CD ownership, I have never once heard anyone complain of their CDs warping because they were stored horizontally.

Cocopugg
07-19-04, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Josh Z
Vertical storage is bad for LPs and laserdiscs.
I think you mean horizontal, not vertical.

Abob Teff
07-19-04, 02:08 PM
Kimiakane, you know that we all love you here (especially those of us who have checked out your homepage!). Please forgive us for having a few laughs in your thread.

That said, I have decided that most of my damaged discs have incurred that damage in the process of putting them into and taking them out of the player. Therefor I am simply going to buy a player for each disc that I have so that they no longer have to be removed!

Josh Z
07-19-04, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Cocopugg
I think you mean horizontal, not vertical.

D'oh! Thanks. Edited now.

Brian Shannon
07-19-04, 05:48 PM
If anyone is truly concerned this is supposed to be the definitive info on this topic

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/carefordisc/CDandDVDCareandHandlingGuide.pdf

eau
07-19-04, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Brian Shannon
If anyone is truly concerned this is supposed to be the definitive info on this topic

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/carefordisc/CDandDVDCareandHandlingGuide.pdf
Thanks for the guide :)

Quoted from the guide...

5.2.6 Flexing
Flexing (bending) the disc by any means, such as removing it from
a jewel case or sitting on it, may harm the disc by causing stresses. The disc should be stored in its case and placed vertically, like a book, on a shelf. Long-term horizontal storage, particularly in a heated environment, can cause the disc to become permanently bowed. While the data may still be intact, the disc may not operate properly in the drive or permit the laser to follow the track. The maximum degree of fl ex (bend) or number of times a disc can be fl exed before it incurs damage is not known. To minimize the risk of damage, it is better to avoid fl exing discs.

Interesting point below... is it the reason Universal has stopped putting inserts in the keepcases? :p

5.1.6 Individual Disc Storage
For long-term disc storage, it may sometimes be prudent to remove the label insert or booklet from inside the case and attach it to the outside, perhaps in a sleeve. In theory, the paper can attract moisture and produce higher moisture content in the case. The paper may also spread moisture by contact with the disc. This recommendation is based on no specific tests of the effects of paper inside a case; it is merely a consideration—one that takes on added significance with large amounts of paper inside a disc case and higher-than-recommended humidity conditions.

king3style
07-19-04, 08:28 PM
Now I am paranoid about my discs being stored horizontally. I bought 3 dvd disck racks, were the discs slide in horizontally. If this is bad why did the company make the dvd rack that way? I feel like I have wasted money on my hands now.

emhello
07-19-04, 08:32 PM
Yep I'm screwed. :(

emhello
07-19-04, 08:47 PM
Since the dye is essentially liquid, wouldn't it make more sense to store them horizontally?? Makes more sense to me that gravity (over a long period of time) would cause more problems if stored vertically.

eau
07-20-04, 01:01 AM
Dye? Prerecorded DVDs are pressed and do not use dye. Recordable DVDs are a different story though.

emhello
07-20-04, 01:26 AM
Yeah I was thinking more of the DVDs and CDs used for backing up data.

Qui Gon Jim
07-20-04, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by emhello
Yeah I was thinking more of the DVDs and CDs used for backing up data.

you forgot the quotes on "backing up" :)