Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Green Lantern - news, rumors, castings, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Green Lantern - news, rumors, castings, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-04, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Green Lantern "confirmed"

And I say "confirmed" in quotations only because it's AICN.
All Those Rumors About GREEN LANTERN... They’re True! Dear God, They’re True!!
Hi, everyone. "Moriarty" here with some Rumblings From The Lab...
Jack Black has closed his deal. He will be playing Green Lantern in a film that has been described as a “zany comedy version a la THE MASK.” All rights to the DC comic have been worked out as well, so you can expect to start hearing more about this project in the months ahead.
As I understand it, DC Comics tried desperately to dodge this bullet, but ultimately, they don’t have the right to veto something if Warner Bros. really wants to make it happen. This is the problem with the way DC’s deal with their corporate overlords is structured. Their hands are tied. As much as they are aware of the problem with this approach to the material, they just have to sit back and watch it happen along with fans of the character and the rich mythology that has been established over the long run of the various GREEN LANTERN titles.
I like Jack Black. I really do. I’m dying to see what he does in KING KONG because I trust the director and the rest of the creative team, and I have a feeling they’ll find the right way to harness his energy. But this GREEN LANTERN gives me gas right away. Maybe I’ll be proven wrong. Maybe they’ll find a way to make it funny without totally trashing everything that’s ever made the title great. And maybe this’ll be exactly as godawful as it sounds. Either way, this one just passed from “rumor” to “confirmed news,” so brace yourselves, comic fans. It’s coming...
While I'd love to see a Green Lantern movie, this just isn't it for me. I hope to God this Jack Black rumor is false. I want to see a decent version of Green Lantern on the big screen. Black would look more like the fat guy wearing the Lantern t-shirt that used to work at my local comic shop.
Old 07-16-04, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I hope this is false. I've had an assfull of Jack Black and although a Guy Gardner version of GL could be funny, they should start with Hal Jordan or the Original GL.
Old 07-16-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Oh you've got to be kidding me. I've been waiting a long time for a GL (my favorite comic book character) movie, and they do a friggin comedy......with the horrible Jack Black no less???!!! WTF?
Old 07-16-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Oh you've got to be kidding me. I've been waiting a long time for a GL (my favorite comic book character) movie, and they do a friggin comedy......with the horrible Jack Black no less???!!!

edit: Amazing how excited one can be to click a thread only to so thoroughly disappointed after leaving the thread.
Old 07-16-04, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
kill me now.....
Old 07-16-04, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's see:

--The general public neither knows nor cares who Green Lantern is. They'd be just as happy if Jack Black played a zany superhero named the Crimson Tide or the Purple People Eater.

--The people who DO know and care who Green Lantern is don't want to see him in a zany comedy, and will actively bitch and moan about it from now until the movie is released.

--So clearly the thing to do is to make a zany Green Lantern comedy.

Yep, you can tell this is coming from the same brilliant studio that brought us Catwoman.
Old 07-16-04, 10:48 AM

Lets face it ...

Now matter how they spin GL it would be difficult to make it a serious and edgy action/drama. I was a big fan of the comic as a kid, but a movie translation would have little chance of success .... unless it is a comedy.

Less we forget ...

Captain America (1991)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103923/
Old 07-16-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First they kill him off now they are going to let Jack Black play him. Green Lantern is the Rodney Dangerfield of comics.

Patrick Steward as Abin Sur?
Courtney Cox as Carrol Ferris/Star Sapphire?
Old 07-16-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like Green Lantern. He's probably my third favorite superhero character after Supes and Flash.

I like Jack Black. I think School of Rock is one of the best movies I've seen in recent years.

However, Jack Black as Green Lantern just will NOT work.
Old 07-16-04, 11:22 AM

Jack Black as GL?????? No freakin way. I love GL, one of my favorite comics. But Black, he truly sucks. I can't see this movie working.
Old 07-16-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Well, unlike Catwoman.. there actually are a lot of different Green Lanterns in the corps.

As long as Jack Black isn't Hal Jordan, Kyle Raynor or Guy Gardner, I can see them working it out someway. Maybe if they give Kevin Smith scripting duties?
Old 07-16-04, 12:06 PM

I agree this sounds like a terrible, terrible idea. Marvel has shown with X-Men and Spider-Man that it's possible to make well-received dramatic superhero movies that don't mock the characters or try to milk them for laughs. It's truly a shame that DC (or more likely Warner Bros, who owns DC) can't see this. I believe there's certainly room for a comedic superhero movies (such as "Mystery Men" or the upcoming "Incredibles"), but if they feel they must have a Jack Black superhero movie, I'd much rather they come up with an original character instead of crapping all over an old one.

On the other hand, Warner's reasoning is no mystery. It pains me to say it, but these days a comic book is considered successful if it sells 50,000 copies. 50,000! How large is the movie going audience in this country? 40, 50 million? Is it any wonder they feel no need to cater to the comic fans?
Old 07-16-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Truthfully, they should dig up the old Plastic Man script and give that to Jack Black. I still have that script and the storyboards.
Old 07-16-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
There goes my hopes for a Green Lantern/Green Arrow movie, starring John Cusack and Jeremy Piven, respectively.

Old 07-16-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't believe it.
Old 07-16-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I don't know much about Green Lantern but I haven't liked a Jack Black movie since High Fidelity so I have to give this a thumbs down.
Old 07-16-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Love Green Lantern. With CGI, this could've been pretty sweet.
Old 07-16-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
There's something seriously wrong with this idea.
Green Lantern is not a comic book property that could translate well into a "zany" comedy.

Just leave it alone if you are not going to treat the material with respect or at least with some common sense.

What's WB thinking??? First Catwoman, now Green Lantern, then there's the whole ongoing saga with Superman.

I pray that "Batman Begins" with Nolan and Bale turns out alright.
Old 07-16-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I feel bad for DC since they realize that this direction was wrong for the character. Too bad that their parent company executives didn't agree with them.
Old 07-16-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DC is in a really horrible, horrible situation. First Catwoman, now Green Lantern, two gaurantied dreadful movies bases on very famous comic book properties, neither of which will get mainstream, non-comic book readers into a comic book store wanting to check out the new issue of Green Lantern, b/c the movie was so cool. I can tell you for sure, from co-owning a comic book store for the past 6 years, that when the Spider-man & X-men movies came out, I cannot tell you how many people came in saying "I haven't read a a comic in years, but the movie was has me wanting to get back into them" , or "I never read the comics before, but damn that movie was good so I think I'll check a few issues out." And what makes it even worse is that DC put's out the best comics on the stands by far, & Marvel puts out the worse, yet their movies are the ones increasing sales on their comics.

And what makes this even worse is that I cannot stand Jack Black.
Old 07-16-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Considering the source...Im gonna wait until I see a poster, and or trailer for this "rumor".
Old 07-16-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently Warner Bros. is desperately trying to kill off any interest in any DC property.
Old 07-16-04, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Green Lantern was always my favorite superhero and I really like Jack Black, however these two do not mix at all. I really don't want to see a Green Lantern as an over-weight bumbling idiot, that should be reserved for The Tick.
Old 07-16-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Who at DC/WB comes up with such piss poor idea's for such great franchises? Honestly, what are they smoking?
Old 07-16-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Man, how about R. Lee Ermey as Plastic Man?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.