Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Harold and Kumar Go To Whitecastle thoughts

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-15-04, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I saw Harold and Kumar this past weekend at the Waterfront Film Festival.

Even though I despised Dude, Where's My Car?, this movie was the exact opposite. It basically plays out the way Dude, Where's My Car?'s night would have been had they used that for the premise of the movie. Apart from the usual for this type of comedy (laughable/guessable plot, average acting, etc.), the comedy in it was golden. I actually laughed my ass off both times I watched it. The part with the
Spoiler:
cheetah
was the only problem I had with the story. Everything else was great, and would definitely be better if in 'an altered state'. The ending with
Spoiler:
Harold and Kumar eating the Whiteys
was too perfect, and reminded me of a few too many times like that. Plus Harold's girl is drop dead gorgeous.

Oh, and I bet the next time you see two hot chicks on a college campus, you may think twice the next time they're going to the restroom together. They could be playing
Spoiler:
Battleshit

***/****
Old 06-15-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, the
Spoiler:
cheetah ride
was the only thing I had a real complaint about the film. I hated dude where's my car but I loved this film.

My main question is will the west coast get the film since well.. there is no white castle anywhere around.
The guest apperances were pretty cool and it was a entertaining little romp.
Old 06-15-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
My main question is will the west coast get the film since well.. there is no white castle anywhere around.
What?!?!? No Whitey's
Old 06-15-04, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here in the south we don't have White Castles either, we have Krystals which gives me extreme gas for the next full day.
Old 06-15-04, 04:35 PM

Krystal burger is basically the same as White Castle, with the same effect. We call them belly bombers for a reason
Old 06-16-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Shroud
Here in the south we don't have White Castles either, we have Krystals which gives me extreme gas for the next full day.
Hmm... I recall seeing White Castles when we lived in Alabama. Might be a local thing.
Old 06-16-04, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We don't have white castle burger joints here, but my folks used to buy the frozen ones all the time. I hated them. Hated hated hated.
Old 06-16-04, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

We have both White Castle and Krystal here (Tennessee).
Old 06-16-04, 09:04 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
That title is terrible, but it looks like it could be a decent flick.
Old 06-16-04, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am dying to see this movie... it looks really hilarious. For some reason I love a good stoner flick...very entertaining. I'll definitely be seeing this one when it opens in July.

MATT
Old 06-18-04, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts
We used to have a knock-off called West Castle in California and Nevada. and of course the real ones are sold frozen in supermarkets.

I just saw the movie at the CineVegas film festival and director Danny Leiner was present for a Q&A after the show...

The movie will have a wide release by late July and a DVD loaded with extras will be released by December.

A sequel is already being written (Harold and Kumar Go To Amsterdam) but production won't begin until the first one is proven to be a success.
Old 06-18-04, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I *seriously* hope there is at least some form of Beastie Boys representation on the soundtrack.. there just HAS to be for crying out loud!!
Old 06-18-04, 03:41 PM

What about T&A levels in this film, please?
Old 06-18-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts
I don't recall any Beastie Boys, but there was some T&A.
Old 07-16-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw Harold and Kumar go to White Castle tonite (what will it make, etc)

It was pretty funny. It gets really silly but I think it will be probably be one of the best reviewed movies of the year because of its anti-racism message that is done in such a clever way. They had a special screening at the college I went to. Anyone else see it? Also since I want to start a long post, how much money do you think it will make. I think it will be a sleeper by opening at 20 million and eventually crossing the 100 million mark with a sequel probably already in the works (it leaves it open.) Some of the jokes are stupid (like the scene in the bathroom) but I would give it *** and will probably become a classic in comedic cinema because the new way it addresses issues.
Old 07-16-04, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ehh, usually comedies become successful because they're funny. Addressing issues by the guy who did Dude where's my car? yeah, I don't think that's much of a selling points. But I do think this looks funny. Two stoner guys looking for white castle. And I'm one of the few that think Dude is quite funny. 100 million I doubt, but a solid 50 mil plus I think is quite possible.
Old 07-17-04, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you would be surprised on how well he does it and how sketchy and sometimes awkward the audience gets but eventually the audience livens up to it. no, i am serious about this. it is way better than any cheech and chong movie.
Old 07-17-04, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The film has a public sneak preview on Friday night in 800 locations before it's released the following week.

So far, New Line is EXTREMELY happy with the film. Test screening ratings were through the roof and the trailer has been getting more people interested in the film. If word of mouth is strong for this film, I can see the film making a good amount of money.
Old 07-19-04, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
blah blah.. saw it... blah blah.. enjoyed it.
Old 07-19-04, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw it in June. Great movie. There's a screening of it next week here where White Castle is spotting 1500 burgers for after the movie (and the movie starts at 11pm)

Mmmmmmmm, Whiteys....
Old 07-23-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Just saw it. Thought it was absolutly hilarious. The sneak peek was packed and I'm expecting good word of mouth as everyone in the theatre loved it. If you're into the whole wasted college humor stuff you'll love this movie. Also if you're Asian you'll love this movie too as its filled with great stereotypes. I'm pakistani and the scene where Kumar sees his dad at the hospital had me rolling.

This movie is Extreme.
Old 07-23-04, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw it tonight. Another thumbs up here.
Old 07-24-04, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just came back from the sneak preview and I thought the film is hilarious. Nice to see almost every other comedy coming out this summer to be a hit (Anchorman, Napoleon Dynamite, Dodgeball, and now this).
Old 07-24-04, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
Nice to see almost every other comedy coming out this summer to be a hit (Napoleon Dynamite, Dodgeball, and now this).
Fixed
Old 07-24-04, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

There is actually a white castle now on sunset. New Line ponyed up the cash to have one built till august 11th or so and they plan on giving out free white castle burgers to promote the film. So L.A. folks need to get down there asap.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.