Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Pioneer 563A & Beach Boys Pet Sounds DVD-A

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-04, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone out there have the DVD-Audio of the Beach Boys Pet Sounds and also have a Pioneer 563A deck? If so, can you confirm whether the Pet Sounds mix is actually 5.1 rather than 4.1. I'm fairly confident that I am not getting output on my center channel on that title, but all other channels seem active. I've checked a few other DVD-A and SACD discs (Springsteen, Crowded House, Fleetwood Mac, Mary Chapin Carpenter) and they clearly have all 6 channels in the mix.

Just trying to figure out if this problem is due to the bug in the 563 with certain multi-channel, or it's just the way Pet Sounds is mixed. . .

Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-18-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I should have the $$ to get the Pet Sounds DVD-Audio in a week or two. I have the same player so I'll test it on mine and report back.
Old 07-19-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/re...umber=19059725

Pet Sounds has not received glowing reviews...

Excerpt from above link > "Pet Sounds’ on DVD-Audio is characterized by several traits that simply do not make sense to the surround music enthusiast. First, there is a virtual absence of use – not a “judicious” use – of the center channel in all tracks. There is also a virtual absence of low bass, such that the LFE channel sub-woofer is never in play. Finally, there is a method of vocal imaging, often heard, which is dominated by the left front speaker and the surrounds, while the right front is muted and the center is silent."
Old 07-20-04, 01:40 PM

Great link. Thanks!!! That takes a load off my mind. Will be doing the hi-res 2 channel. IIRC, Pet Sounds got a glowing review from Sound & Vision. Hmmmmm.
Old 07-20-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by hobbes4444
Great link. Thanks!!! That takes a load off my mind. Will be doing the hi-res 2 channel. IIRC, Pet Sounds got a glowing review from Sound & Vision. Hmmmmm.
No problemo, I read highfidelityreview every other day or so, great site but a little slow with the reviews... Pet Sounds got a rave from S&V? Interesting... I still haven't gotten around to picking it up, based on the surround reviews that I've read to date...