Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance question

I recently picked up this game in CC 4.99 sale and i've never played the previous titles. So i go into the options menu and there are these documents i can read that i think are supposed to kind of clue me in on the story so far.

They are however, goofy as all get it. A journalist wearing a dead tuna to get into a secret base where a invisible cyborg ninja attacks some mutant guy who uses a revolver? WTF? Is this really what the first game was about and what i should expect out of the series because the writing is telling a very bizarre story.

I haven't even started the game yet because the one document is 129 screens of text to read. Sheesh! However, like a sucker i'm reading them out of a morbid curiousity.
Old 07-14-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shouldn't this be in Movie Talk?
Old 07-14-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by PixyJunket
seriously though, you don't need to read all those documents. the story will be confusing regardless. Still, I really enjoyed the game when it first came out on PS2.
Old 07-14-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm actually kind of curious about that.... i started a new game... sat through 20ish minutes of cutscene when the phone rang and i had to have a conversation which means i have to start the scenes over again. Is this one of those games that is a series of cutscenes punctuated by a couple minutes here and there of gameplay?
Old 07-14-04, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by xmiyux
Is this one of those games that is a series of cutscenes punctuated by a couple minutes here and there of gameplay?
That sir, is a gross UNDER-statement.
Old 07-14-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That sir, is a gross UNDER-statement.
You guys are scaring me

Ah well, for 4.99 it might be decent trade fodder because i really dislike games that are more movie than game. This has what kept me very not interested in the FF series of games.
Old 07-14-04, 07:53 PM
Banned

HA I did not get it for a min there. I was thinking WTF is she talking about then I got the joke. Don't worry about reading the back story it means jack shit in this game.
Old 07-14-04, 07:56 PM
Banned

Originally posted by xmiyux
You guys are scaring me

Ah well, for 4.99 it might be decent trade fodder because i really dislike games that are more movie than game. This has what kept me very not interested in the FF series of games.
Well what gets me is the parts that are game are pretty damn fun. You want to play more game then movie so bad it's not funny. I like snaping folks necks. If you like this game try Splinter Cell. Also this game takes about 11 hours to beat if you skip the movies you can beat it in 4 hours.

Last edited by TOPDAWG; 07-14-04 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-14-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
I was thinking WTF is she talking about

She's a MAN, baby!

The actual gameplay is great - when you can get it. What I don't like are the endless (20-30mins I shit you not) cut-scenes in between, that just confuse you further with each passing one.

And you can't even pause them? Ouch... don't the Japanese ever need to pee?!?

Worthwhile game though - especially the "substance" version for $4.99!
Old 07-14-04, 08:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by cheapskate

She's a MAN, baby!

The actual gameplay is great - when you can get it. What I don't like are the endless (20-30mins I shit you not) cut-scenes in between, that just confuse you further with each passing one.

And you can't even pause them? Ouch... don't the Japanese ever need to pee?!?

Worthwhile game though - especially the "substance" version for $4.99!
Wow really is he gay or something? He comes off as a female. Thank god I did not try my cool internet moves on him. Yeah the long ass movies does sick pretty bad. Also lets not forget who you miss after the first mission. God that pissed me off so damn bad.

Also lets not forget the story goes all goffy near the end.
Old 07-14-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
Wow really is he gay or something? He comes off as a female. Thank god I did not try my cool internet moves on him. Yeah the long ass movies does sick pretty bad. Also lets not forget who you miss after the first mission. God that pissed me off so damn bad.

Also lets not forget the story goes all goffy near the end.
Maybe you just saw the killer pic of pixy dressed up for a con..... perhaps someone can post it here for your perusal

But yes, pixy is a guy and a pretty nice guy at that.
Old 07-15-04, 12:04 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I played through this game once and was so bored by the endless cutscenes that I never played it again after beating it. At the end, there is a cutscene that lasts literally 40 minutes, then you have the final battle which lasts 3-4 minutes, then you have another ending cutscene for 20 minutes. So in the last hour of the game, you only get to play for 3-4 minutes.

Personally, I prefer the Splinter Cell games over Metal Gear. Splinter Cell is more realistic and has far less cutscenes. I thought the Splinter Cell story lines were much better as well.
Old 07-15-04, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was a good game...but you can really only play it once. $5 is good though, i tell everyone that they should just rent it, and that's cheaper than renting it now.
Old 07-15-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Don't forget substance has all those extra training missions to give the game some extended replay value (plus no more additional cutscenes).