Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Fantastic Four ?

Fantastic Four ?

Old 07-13-04, 01:38 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fantastic Four ?

This is the film made by Roger Corman and my husband really wants this as he saw it once and wants me to see it too. There are several sellers of this movie on DVD at eBay. Does anyone know who makes the best quality version? Thank you in advance!!!
Old 07-13-04, 01:46 PM

Great movie!!
Old 07-13-04, 01:51 PM

This title is not officially out on Video or DVD so you are buying a bootleg..
Old 07-13-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Fantastic Four ?

Originally posted by Kimiakane
This is the film made by Roger Corman and my husband really wants this as he saw it once and wants me to see it too. There are several sellers of this movie on DVD at eBay. Does anyone know who makes the best quality version? Thank you in advance!!!
You'd get a better quality movie by taking a dump and smearing the results on a film and watching that.

Seriously, it's bad. The special effects are not done, it is literally a work in progress because they ran out of money making it, and the acting is worse than a junior high play. If you must own a copy of this, try to find a place to down load it for free. I don't have any recommendations, as I got mine at a convention for ten dollars and that was too much money. Anybody who pays more for this than that is crazy.
Old 07-14-04, 12:32 AM

Re: Re: Fantastic Four ?

Originally posted by calhoun07
You'd get a better quality movie by taking a dump and smearing the results on a film and watching that.

Seriously, it's bad. The special effects are not done, it is literally a work in progress because they ran out of money making it, and the acting is worse than a junior high play. If you must own a copy of this, try to find a place to down load it for free. I don't have any recommendations, as I got mine at a convention for ten dollars and that was too much money. Anybody who pays more for this than that is crazy.
Not only are you threadcrapping, you are also suggesting illegal action. For shame...
Old 07-14-04, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Because it was never really finished all you see is a poor draft of the movie. I remember seeing part of it on VHS at a flea market. Yes, it was bad but in a campy way. I would love the owners to put out a special edition explaining what they were thinking. Would get back some of the money they lost.
Old 07-14-04, 08:14 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Bear in mind that the movie was never intended to be released. They just were making it to maintain the rights.
Old 07-14-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: Fantastic Four ?

Originally posted by EskimoJoe
Not only are you threadcrapping, you are also suggesting illegal action. For shame...
He is not really thread crapping he is offering an opinion on the current state of the movie. The OP did ask who makes "the best quality version" in which he is basically saying there isn't one. As far as the illegal action I agree with you.
Old 07-14-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

you are also suggesting illegal action. For shame...
Buying the bootleg is illegal too

If you own this movie in any way, shape, or form -- an illegal activity was done
Old 07-14-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw a copy of this and, although the FX were bad, they all seemed "finished" to me. Also, the idea that this was a movie made to maintain the rights seems like a lie cooked up by the producers to explain why the movie was so bad. They could have spent a lot less money on the thing if they just were using it as a rights placeholder. And, if they only made the movie to maintain the rights, why didn't they ever do anything with those rights?
Old 07-14-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
I have it on DVD (finally upgraded my VHS tape)... considering when it was made for the budget, I thought it was pretty good. But obviously, YMMV.
Old 07-14-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Peep
And, if they only made the movie to maintain the rights, why didn't they ever do anything with those rights?
They're making a new one. According to imdb, it's scheduled for 2005.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0120667/
Old 07-14-04, 02:56 PM

It was a very good movie for its time. It was far better than Captain America.
Old 07-14-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Threadcrapping? Have you seriously seen the movie? That's the nicest review it's gotten in a long time!

And you were right. Don't look for it. It's a complete waste of time.
Old 07-14-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Shagrath

Michael Chiklis from "the shield" as the thing ? this oughta be good.
Old 07-14-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Shagrath

My understanding is that after Roger Corman's people lost the rights (which was subsequent to making the movie being discussed in this thread, because they *still* didn't have a proper one to make), they reverted back to Marvel, who sold them to whichever studio is making the new movie.

But I dunno if that's true.
Old 07-14-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by emhello
*GASP* Take that back!
Old 07-14-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you are also suggesting illegal action. For shame...
There is no legal way to own this film. In fairness, there's no way to answer the original poster's question *without* suggesting illegal action. Actually the download suggestion was the best, as doesn't give money to bootleggers.
Old 07-14-04, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Side note: why don't authorities bust bootleggers as some of the larger comic conventions? I see thousands of copies of original Star Wars, etc. on DVD sold very openly on tables, being played on TV's, etc.
Old 07-14-04, 07:25 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by emhello
So I gotta know - what color is the sky in that little world of yours? That movie was horrific! Painful! It makes Battlefield Earth look good.

No, save yourself the trouble. If you want to simulate the movie going experiance, darken the lights in your home theater room, turn on a strobe light, get one of those air horns and blast it every 30 seconds and pour battery acid on your nuts for two hours. That should leave you with a slightly better experiance than actually watching this film.
Old 07-14-04, 08:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you don't want to buy a bootleg or download it, this page has a slideshow of the movie.

http://www.geocities.com/renaudbedard/
Old 07-15-04, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by El-Kabong
So I gotta know - what color is the sky in that little world of yours? That movie was horrific! Painful! It makes Battlefield Earth look good.

No, save yourself the trouble. If you want to simulate the movie going experiance, darken the lights in your home theater room, turn on a strobe light, get one of those air horns and blast it every 30 seconds and pour battery acid on your nuts for two hours. That should leave you with a slightly better experiance than actually watching this film.
I thought it was enjoyable... certainly far more enjoyable that overrated junk like "Fight Club" or any episode of "Friends".
Old 07-15-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by DavidH
Side note: why don't authorities bust bootleggers as some of the larger comic conventions? I see thousands of copies of original Star Wars, etc. on DVD sold very openly on tables, being played on TV's, etc.
The police don't seem to care at the shows I've attended; it's up to the studios to take action. For instance, Bandai recently filed lawsuits against a number of retailers who had been selling bootleg copies of their products at conventions.

At WizardWorld Chicago a couple years back, I stopped one of the head security guys, told him I was a reporter, asked why they weren't shutting down obvious bootleggers, and inquired whether it was their policy to permit them to operate at the show. He stuttered, and threw out something like if they learned about bootleggers, they would shut them down. I pointed literally 15 feet away where a retailer had a HUGE booth set up selling nothing but bootlegs, and the guy literally shrugged and walked away.

For products like the old FF movie or shows from the 1960s that aren't available on DVD, I can possibly see how they might look the other way. But when booths are selling burned copies of Hellboy and movies that are still in the theater, it really bugs me.
Old 07-15-04, 02:23 AM

There are actually several used VHS copies at amazon.com. There is a legal way to get your hands on this movie, if you really want it.
Old 07-15-04, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by sn9ke_eyes
Michael Chiklis from "the shield" as the thing ? this oughta be good.
Don't forget Jessica Alba as Sue Storm. Here's hoping for skin-tight costumes!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.