Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone have this problem with their HDTV? The picture is turning red.

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-12-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sooooo pissed. I have my first problem with my TV. It's a 48 inch Sony Wide Screen Projection TV. I've had it for about 2 years, with no problem. I put the TV on today & everything has a sort of red tint to it. I can't get rid of it, I tried everything, also the longer I leave it on , it seems the worse it gets. Some times when I put it on it's fine, but after a minute or two everything goes to the red tin. This sucks so much, I can't go back to wathing DVDs on a normal TV.

Has anyone had this problem? Is it expensive to fix?

Help is appreciated.
Old 07-12-04, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 53 inch Pioneer Elite except everything developed a green tint after 2 years. A service tech came out and adjusted the green push on the green crt and that corrected the problem. Took him about 5 minutes to correct the problem and the tv looks great again.
Old 07-13-04, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Yeah, it sound's like one of your projection bulbs in the back of the TV is either dimmer than usual or brighter than usual...should be fixed with some routine maintainance.

Not sure how much it would cost if you're no longer under warranty. I'm guessing it would depend on whether you need to replace one of the projection bulbs or if it just needs adjusted.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 07-13-04 at 04:57 AM.
Old 07-13-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
First things first, assuming you are connected by component video cables I'd check to make sure that all of the cables are firmly attached. If one of the three has come loose, that might also cause a tinted picture.
Old 07-13-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cables are all attached fine, like I said I tried everything.

I do have an extended service plan, the guy is coming tomorrow. I'm mostly just concerned that he will have to order a part, I can't live without my TV, & just can't watch a DVD on an old fashioned TV.

Also, was wondering if this is a normal problem & if anyone else had something similar happen.
Old 07-13-04, 10:39 PM

I kind of remember reading something to that regards with Sony CRT RPTV at at www.hometheaterspot.com. IIRC, the problem is a manufacturing defect with many Sony CRT RPTV models. Try checking the info at the spot first.
Old 07-14-04, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Sessa17
Cables are all attached fine, like I said I tried everything.

I do have an extended service plan, the guy is coming tomorrow. I'm mostly just concerned that he will have to order a part, I can't live without my TV, & just can't watch a DVD on an old fashioned TV.

Also, was wondering if this is a normal problem & if anyone else had something similar happen.
It also could be a cable gone bad in which case firm connections don't matter. I would try to borrow a set of Component cables from someone first to verify for sure it is not a cable problem.
Old 07-14-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, the guy from Circuit City (where I bought my TV & has the sercive plan from ) came today & it sucked. He said he knew what was wrong but had to order some parts which would take 3-4 weeks. AHHHHHHHHHH!!! 3-4 weeks without watching a DVD or movie on a good TV. This is the only TV in my apartment, I have to go to my girlfriends to watch one on a crappy little TV & then she would control what I watch. This is awful.
Old 07-14-04, 09:17 PM

Check your warranty... some of them state that if it takes more than a certain amount of time to fix something that they will replace it.
Old 10-14-04, 11:36 AM

What a strange coincidence! My Marantz rear-projector have been great for the last couple of years. It started diplaying a RED tint all of a sudden.

1] Initially, I reseated all cabling to be sure... NO HELP
2] Then resetted all settings (tint, color, etc.) to factory settings through the built-in menu... NO HELP
3] Checked and went through the RED & BLUE convergence... NO HELP
4] all menus [EXCEPT for my TW Cable signal] have a red tint...
5] Cable signal displayed perfectly fine...

I'm going to try swapping out the cables... if that doesn't work, a call to have a service tech would be next.