Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Where to find records (vinyl)?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-12-04, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently got a record player and a few used records along with it. I got the records from Half Price Books (used book store) - most of them for $1 each and a few better ones (Joshua Tree, Unforgettable Fire, Willie Nelson's Stardust) for $4 each.

Where are some other places to go searching for vinyl? Do pawn shops have any (never been in one)? I don't think I'd like getting them on eBay b/c I'd want to look at the condition of the cover, record, etc before buying.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-12-04, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Check Goodwill and the Salvation Army. Sometimes you can find some good stuff there for cheap - I once found a great copy of London Calling there for a buck.

Also, check your independent record store.
Old 07-12-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DJLinus
Check Goodwill and the Salvation Army. Sometimes you can find some good stuff there for cheap - I once found a great copy of London Calling there for a buck.
yeah, i've scored over 100 MINT condition and sweet records for $1 each at the thrift stores. the thing is, you gotta have patience because you won't be the only one looking through the shelves of really awful, dusty old records to find 'em.
Old 07-12-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

$1?! Damn I remember buying The Specials in mint cond. for 25 cents. Salvation Army has raised their prices
Old 07-12-04, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by DJLinus
Check Goodwill and the Salvation Army. Sometimes you can find some good stuff there for cheap...
Thanks for the tip! Went to a Goodwill during lunch break. They didn't have much but I picked up CSN&Y "Deja Vu" for $1.59.

Decided to swing by the aforementioned Half Price Books to find they had a big batch of records come in. Didn't have enough time to look through them all, but found a few steals. Beach Boys' "Endless Summer" (4 sides of classic BB) and two amazing Cat Stevens albums - "Tea For The Tillerman" & "Teaser And The Firecat." All for $1 each.

If anyone has more ideas of where to look, please post.
Old 07-12-04, 02:56 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I bought most of my vinyl at garage/estate sales and local record shops.
Old 07-12-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
New stuff is available at Hot Topic, but it's kind of pricey -- usually about the same price as a CD, maybe a few dollars less. Other than Hot Topic, you should probably try your local used/independent CD shops, as they're most likely to stock vinyl. Hop Topic is the only chain I know of that still carries records.

Used stuff is a crap shoot. If you're looking for lots of stuff at good prices, then flea markets and good will-type stores are excellent places to look. Be warned, though, that it's been my experience that most of the finds here aren't of collector-quality, so if condition is a factor, you might want to look elsewhere. Occasionally I'll find a few gems at the flea market, though.

Ebay is also a good place to look, but any savings will probably be eaten up by shipping costs and you have to worry about the seller not packing the record well enough to survivie the tender mercies of the post office. But if you're looking for something you can't find anywhere else, Ebay is it. Also Ebay does provide a good source for locating reputable vinyl dealers, especially in particular genres. I've dealt with a few who have gotten repeat business from me off of Ebay.
Old 07-12-04, 04:08 PM

I forgot about flea markets...that would probably be a good place to check. Could probably come out with some decent deals afters some bargaining.

As far as collector quality, obviously I would like the records and sleeves to be in as good condition as possible, but I'm not gonna be too picky. The ones I'm getting for $1 aren't spotless, but they get the job done. Plus, it's also about the fun of searching throught piles of not-so-great stuff to find those few that you think are awesome...and to get them for dirt cheap to boot.
Old 07-13-04, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what places online do you guys go other than insound and gemm.com?
Old 07-13-04, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Forced Exposure and Fusetron.
Old 04-26-05, 03:16 PM

I'm in Chicago this week - any recommendations for some decent record stores I could visit? I'm near O'Hare, but could venture out if it's worth it.

Thanks.
Old 04-26-05, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by FrozenMetalHead
I'm in Chicago this week - any recommendations for some decent record stores I could visit? I'm near O'Hare, but could venture out if it's worth it.

Thanks.
Worth your time:
Reckless (there are two locations - the Broadway Ave location is better for CDs, while the Milwaukee Ave location is better for vinyl)

Check reckless.com for stock and location information.
Old 04-26-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by FrozenMetalHead

Thanks.
Championship Vinyl. I hear that they have excellent customer service.

Old 04-27-05, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
If you are in Philadelphia, there are some excellent vinyl places near South Street. I believe they are all right next to each other -- some focus on jazz, others dance, hip-hop, etc.
Old 04-28-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Online try acousticsounds for audiophile records and others.