Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

30 inch tube HDTVs: Samsung (DVI) Vs. Philips (HDMI) questions

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

I was looking into putting an extra HDTV in the upstairs living room & was looking at the Samsung 30 inch TX-P3064W (roughly $850)and the Philips 30 inch 30PW8402 (roughly $750).

I was trying to decide between the two (Sears has them on sale) and I could get them for a little cheaper than the above prices. My question is: Which one is the better TV?

Anyone have any experience with these TVs? Are they the newer models or the older ones? (if the old ones, how old?)

Any difference between the DVI or HDMI connections? My 2 year old Mitsubishi RPTV has neither connection so I don't really know if I am missing much or if I need either connection. Any insight or comparison info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-12-04, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump. I've been looking at the same two to replace my standard TV.
Old 07-13-04, 01:22 PM

I looked at both at Sears and ended up getting the Phillips. From some of the reviews the Samsung seemed problematic. I have my HD box going into the DVI input and couldn't be happier with the picture. There is a thread in this forum on the model I picked up. I put what I thought of it there. I already thought the picture looked better than the Samsung and at that time Samsung didn't have the DVI/HDMI input so that made it a no brainer as well.

Thread Link
Old 07-13-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ok... i don't know about the sammy, but i think the philips doesn't support 720p. that's why i got the sony instead. not sure if that matters to you but for me, since i was going to use it w/ my xbox, i wanted the 720p support.

personally, i think sammys have a better reputation (especially the newer models), but i don't think you would go wrong w/ the philips either.
Old 07-14-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
well, I went ahead & went with the Phillips. The guy I bought it from at Sears was really cool. They had it on sale for $760 and then he "price-matched it" to $730 plus 10% of the difference for another $3 off and then I had a printed off coupon I found while searching the net for another $30 off. I ended up getting it for $697 plus tax so I was pretty pleased. They had no stock in the store so it had to be ordered & I should have it by Friday or Saturday.

This is a secondary TV...now to find a cheap progressive scan dvd player & I will be set once my Voom installation comes on August 3rd! I will post how it looks once I get the dvd player hooked up to it.

No 720p support does not bother me since my 65inch Mitsubishi does not have it either & that is the one my Xbox is hooked up to. Hardly any games support 720p anyway & hopefully the next generation of Xbox & Playstation will just go straight to 1080i.