Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Will upcoming "Dial M for Murder" include 3D version?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-04, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've browsed around for this topic, but haven't found an answer yet. Does anyone know if the upcoming Sept. 7th release of Hitchcock's "Dial M for Murder" will include the 3D version?
Old 07-10-04, 09:35 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
No, it was verified by WB that the 3D version will not be included.
Old 07-10-04, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
None of the better 3D movies out on DVD have had a 3D version. I'm not surprised about Dial M For Murder since they've passed on Kiss Me Kate, Creature From The Black Lagoon and House of Wax.
Old 07-11-04, 12:27 PM

It's a real shame too because we do have an excellent 3D technology for video right now. The shutterglasses field sequential system is the same way IMAX presents 3D. It works amazingly well on video and is cheap and easy to set up and use. The only limitation, which may be the hangup, is that it requires conventional video interlace so progressive scan cannot be used. This probably rules out HDTV systems too. Kind of goes against the flow of progress.

Perhaps it's difficult to convert pre-existing 3D movies made for the old red/green system or polaroid projection (Like Dial M) over to field sequential. I don't know how the conversion process works for that. I know that Video Cameras that can shoot in FS3D are not terribly expensive.

There's one company that issued some of the IMAX films in field sequential video and they are excellent. You have to buy a cheap simple conversion kit that includes shutter glasses. The converter just gets wired in between the DVD and the TV and you can leave it hooked up.

That company has now taken to using some very cheap process to create simulated 3D on public domain 2D films and selling them off as 3D versions. The effect is lousy and it's a waste of the technology. I'm guessing they were in a financial bind and had to resort to doing this, but I wish they didn't.
Old 07-12-04, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dial M (like 99% of all 3-D movies) was originally shown in polarized (clear gray glasses) 3-D.

It isn't hard at all to make field sequential versions, in fact, DIAL M, HOUSE OF WAX and others were released on videodisc in this 3-D format in 1990 in Japan!

It works quite well and it is a shame Warner won't do an upgraded version for US audiences now, especially since they could put an end to all the bootlegging with one stroke.

There are a tons of threads that discuss 3-D on DVD but since DVD Talk's search engine isn't easily capable of searching for 3D or 3-D they can be hard to find.

What's up with that three word mimimum anyway?
Old 07-13-04, 11:47 PM

Does anyone have a 3d copy of dial m for murder? I would LOVE to find this on VCD! I would settle for a copy.
Old 07-14-04, 12:08 AM

Does anyone know if any of the glasses found here Will work with the 3d copies being sold on ebay
Old 07-14-04, 01:19 AM

You have to find out what kind of 3d the DVD uses. Dial M is a true discreet 3D film.

AFAIK there are only 2 viewing systems that work on video for presenting true 3D.

One is the inferior red/green or red blue glasses system called "anaglyph."

It looks like that website does sell this type of view glasses. They will only work if the film is presented on DVD specifically for use with these anaglyph glasses. Since there doesn't seem to be any set rule, it's possible the glasses you get will have the colors reversed left and right. Not a problem since most anaglyph glasses are cardboard so you can wear them inside out if needed.

The other type of video 3D is the far superior field sequential shutter glasses we talk about in this thread. Again, this system only works if the DVD has been specifically made for it. FS is a more eloborate rig involving a small decoder box and glasses that must be connected to the box by a thin wire (there is a wireless version using infra-red). Field sequential on video, when it's done right, can be spectacular. I didn't see any mention of FS glasses at the link you give. If the DVD is in Field sequential and you want to see it in 3D, I strongly recommend:

the best FS system

But don't be tempted by all the old movies at this website that they claim to sell in 3D, they are very poorly done. The 3D effect is very weak. The only good ones are the IMAX collection.
Old 07-14-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The officially released DIAL M FOR MURDER VHD videodisc from Japan is field sequential and the effect is quite good at home. So yes, I've been legally watching the film in 3-D for over a decade in my living room! No, red/blue glasses do not work.

Actually, there are lots of 3-D movies that exist in excellent field sequential versions (myself I think the IMAX films are some of the worst examples for home use) but most of these are long OOP and any versions you find now are not legit but booted copies. Be careful.

Too bad the studios won't provide this option these days on DVD. The modified flat 2-D print would still be there, but why not include 3-D for those who want to see the original version?

I agree, also beware of anyone selling a "3-D" version of a movie not shot in 3-D. These don't work!
Old 07-14-04, 10:29 AM

Well it looks like id need shutter glasses for the version sold on ebay. It seems like way too much money for a pair of glasses that I would watch maybe once or twice. And I would have to buy at least 2 pair so someone can watch with me. Argh!
Old 07-15-04, 03:48 PM

Does anyone know any more appropriate internet boards I could post my questions about this at?