Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Stargate SG1 replicators question and rant. Spoilers for season8 premiere and earlier

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stargate SG1 replicators question and rant. Spoilers for season8 premiere and earlier

Old 07-09-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

First the question. What's the story behind the "human" replicators? I missed the episode(s) that dealt with that

rant: I hate the replicators and have hated them since the second time or so that they showed up. They're nothing but a borg rip off but not as cool as the borg. To me "human replicators" is just a synonym for "jump the shark"
I was so hoping that weapon jack made would truly finish them off once and for all to quote someone tonight, I think Tealc
Old 07-10-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I think I was really hoping that this would be the end of the replicators too.
Old 07-10-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was in season six. The reps were all lured to the Asgard homeworld and then trapped in a time dilation device by the Asgard, in order to slow them down until they figure out what to do with them. However, they somehow reversed the flow of time and it sped up their development until they became self-aware, as evidenced by the human versions. Fifth was an experiment in emotion, but in the replicator mind it made him weak. SG-1 befriended him and had him restart the time dilation device while they escaped. They told him they'd wait for him, but they didn't.

Apparently in the meantime, the Asgard collapsed their sun into a black hole to get rid of them.

Anyway, it looks like the rep storyline is pretty much over. The Asgard and SG-1 now have a permanent means of defeating them, and I don't see them coming back for awhile. Even if they do, it'll probably just be an epilogue to their arc.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 07-10-04 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-10-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
Anyway, it looks like the rep storyline is pretty much over. The Asgard and SG-1 now have a permanent means of defeating them, and I don't see them coming back for awhile. Even if they do, it'll probably just be an epilogue to their arc.
At least until the writers decide to say the replicators have developed a defense to it.
Old 07-10-04, 12:57 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
I don't think the writers would have created the evil/replicator Sam unless they planned on using more of her and Fifth this season. I think we will see quite a bit more of them.
Old 07-10-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by JM
I don't think the writers would have created the evil/replicator Sam unless they planned on using more of her and Fifth this season. I think we will see quite a bit more of them.
I agree.
Old 07-10-04, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JM
Ah, I forgot about her.
Old 07-11-04, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Teal'C, what's with the hair?!
Old 07-11-04, 08:08 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Re: Stargate SG1 replicators question and rant. Spoilers for season8 premiere and earlier

I like the replicator plotlines:

replicators = LOTS of shooting
(the SG-1 team usually go crazy with the P90's and shotguns)

Also, you always find out more tidbits about the Asgard in the replicator eps. (ie this episode: the Ancient database they study/how they got their new technology, actually seeing their new homeworld, etc.).

Originally posted by mikehunt
They're nothing but a borg rip off but not as cool as the borg.
Yeah, the but you have to remember that the replicators started off as toys...basically "Lego Gone Wild"
Old 07-11-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
that explains it, I missed most of season 6 and didn't see season 7 until they re-showed it
Old 07-12-04, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This show really suffers when Jack isn't on screen, it was really evident in the first half. I certainly hope his new promotion doesn't mean he'll be seen as little as Hammond was.

I wonder if the defector System Lord will be a new SG1 teammember?

They certainly set-up for Atlantis rather nicely.
Old 07-12-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Chew
This show really suffers when Jack isn't on screen, it was really evident in the first half. I certainly hope his new promotion doesn't mean he'll be seen as little as Hammond was.
Well, it does. IIRC, RDA wants less screen time so he can spend more time with his family.