Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Hellboy reviewed

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-04, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hellboy reviewed

link

Sounds like a winner, but I am still waiting for the directors cut.
Old 07-08-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow...sounds like a great disc (especially the commentary with Mike Mignola!). I'll be handling the reviewing chores for DVD Talk on this one, and I'm really looking forward to it...I was a fan of the original comic book series, and thought the movie was a pretty faithful adaptation.
Old 07-09-04, 11:17 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Cool - I too am eagerly anticipating the director's cut as well though.
Old 07-09-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wow that sounds cool.
Old 07-09-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw the movie, I might pick it up so my boy can watch it as we move to Seattle.
Old 07-13-04, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

UPDATE: I just posted the review to the DVD Talk queue, so it should be up by Wednesday morning at the latest. Hope you guys enjoy it!

Last edited by Randy Miller III; 07-13-04 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-14-04, 02:35 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Signed Torn

Ok, now Randy or anyone else who wants to tackle this...I have never seen the movie. I very much want to and now that the reviews are coming in for this edition they are all good and I am so eager to get. BUT, with the DC later why would I? I am tempted, but I could very well rent, but then I hate renting...I am so torn. Please help...
Old 07-14-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: Signed Torn

Originally posted by scott1598
Ok, now Randy or anyone else who wants to tackle this...I have never seen the movie. I very much want to and now that the reviews are coming in for this edition they are all good and I am so eager to get. BUT, with the DC later why would I? I am tempted, but I could very well rent, but then I hate renting...I am so torn. Please help...
I have an early review copy of the 2-disc, and I have to say that the extras on this one are pretty impressive.

It's hard to say if you'll personally like the film (I loved it, for what it's worth) but if you do the 2+ hour documentary alone is worth picking this up for.
Old 07-14-04, 03:15 PM

Re: Re: Signed Torn

Originally posted by 12thmonkey
I have an early review copy of the 2-disc, and I have to say that the extras on this one are pretty impressive.

It's hard to say if you'll personally like the film (I loved it, for what it's worth) but if you do the 2+ hour documentary alone is worth picking this up for.
ok, since you seen it..you can just gimme! Sunshine
Old 07-14-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Man does this sound like a sweet disc! The movie was definitely one of the better comic book adaptations in recent years. Too bad I'll have to wait until the DC comes out to pick it up as it seems pointless to double dip on the same product.
Old 07-18-04, 07:30 AM

I was really looking forward to HELLBOY on DVD (love the comics and saw the movie in theatres), but now I am pissed off because they just announced a THREE disc edition will be out at Christmas. Pisses me off that I will have to buy it twice.
Old 07-19-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
I was really looking forward to HELLBOY on DVD (love the comics and saw the movie in theatres), but now I am pissed off because they just announced a THREE disc edition will be out at Christmas. Pisses me off that I will have to buy it twice.
You could rent it first and then buy it later.
Old 07-19-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
I watched most of the extras last night and they are indeed impressive. Too bad I can't say the same for the movie. Now I know why I'd never heard of that Hellboy comic book character before. Because he's just boring and uninteresting, just like most of the other characters in the film.
Old 07-22-04, 10:18 AM

I'll be getting this PLUS the special edition later on. That is, as long as the SE has a LOT of good stuff...

Can't wait...
Old 07-22-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I think i've decided to get this one. I was just going to hold out for the supposed 3-disc DC, but I may not upgrade. Depends on just HOW much better the DC is, plus whats on the third disc...

I wasn't blown away by the movie, but this is a case where the overall DVD package (extras, cartoons!) has bumped it up to a purchase for me.
Old 07-26-04, 01:31 PM

I'm on the fence with this one because I'm afraid the DC is overrated.
Old 07-27-04, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
This is one of those cases where the extras are not the usual fluff-and-puff stuff. It's worth it just for the 2 1/2 documentary

Here's my review , if you're bored
Old 07-28-04, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by 12thmonkey
This is one of those cases where the extras are not the usual fluff-and-puff stuff. It's worth it just for the 2 1/2 documentary

Here's my review , if you're bored
My son and I just watched the Movie and all the Extras. Wow, the Documentary was the best I have seen since LOTR and Star Wars I. We started watching the Movie about 3:45pm and finished the Extras about 9pm. You feel how hard it is to make a movie like that after seeing the 150 minutes Doc that covered the 116 days it took to film the movie.

I will say I am happy the director tried to keep the CGI down and used more real life customs and filming tricks. I wish Star Wars would have done the same thing.
Old 07-28-04, 03:27 PM

Man, I thought this would be a decent movie...I am having the hardest time getting through the whole thing. An hour through and I am bored to tears..it seems like the whole movie is the same scene repeated over and over. At this point, this is one of the worst movies I have seen in sometime. Too bad too as I had some hopes. Ugh!!
Old 07-29-04, 03:53 AM

I'm sad to agree with scott1598. I watched it tonight, and despite it being a great DVD, the movie is pretty bad. The make-up was excellent and Ron Perlman was pretty good, but overall the movie was an extreme disappointment.
Old 08-04-04, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was about to blindbuy this movie but decided against it and rented it. Lucky I did because the movie just did not do anything for me. It did not hold my interest or anything at all. I found it boring.

Let me know if I am missing something because there seem to be quite a few people who thought this movie was the bomb. Perlman acting was good but I found the overall story uninvolving.