Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about the huge Circuit City sale...

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe this is a really stupid question that's already been asked, but the other posts say that they're pulling off all the games until sunday when the sale is advertised and some people were complaning that people are going in and buying all the games, but don't stores like Best Buy do price matchs? And, if the sale is advertised sunday instead of going to curcuit city you could go to best buy where the games well be plenty in stock, right?
Old 07-07-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

More than likely you would need the picture of the game in question in the ad for starters. Secondly, if you got that far I would guess they would call to verify it was in stock before letting you make the purchase.
Old 07-07-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well I got this off the bestbuy site:
Will you match someone else’s price?

Our price-matching policy applies to the current week's prices compared to the previous week's prices, and to how our prices compare with our competitors'. The price-matching policy refers to Best Buy in-store pricing only — not to online pricing.

Online prices and selection generally match our retail stores, but may vary. Prices and offers are subject to change.

Items purchased at a Best Buy store qualify for our store price guarantee.

Our online price guarantee applies to items purchased at a store kiosk or online for store pickup.

I don't know what the hell it means though, when other people have done price match's do they call the other stores to see if they have it in stock?
Old 07-07-04, 12:48 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Yes, they call to see if the other store has it in stock, ESPECIALLY if it's a really good deal.
Old 07-07-04, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Somehow, I doubt the ad will list all the games at $4.99. It will probably just say something like "huge video game clearance - dozens of games just $4.99! each" In which case, pretty much no one will be willing to price match.
Old 07-07-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
I wonder why they wouldn't just list all the games in the ad. If people pricematch at other places, doesn't that help circuit city out, since the other stores would have to sell for a loss? Or does it bring more people into Circuit City to try to find these 4.99 games? I wonder how this is going to be organized, because I know that all my local CC's have a mess for a videogame section, and I know that they're not going to relabel all of them...
Old 07-07-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are literally HUNDREDS of games in this deal - the ad would look like a catalog!

So they just need to post a small amount of popular titles in the deal that would bring people into the store, and just write "selection varies by store". They've done it that way before.

Jeremy
Old 07-07-04, 12:27 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

If you are not greedy and go after 1 or 2 titles for 4.99 and Best Buy is busy they will not call. They will just photocopy the ad. Unfortunately, my local Best Buy does not have any of the titles worth getting.
Old 07-07-04, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by fujishig
I wonder why they wouldn't just list all the games in the ad. If people pricematch at other places, doesn't that help circuit city out, since the other stores would have to sell for a loss? Or does it bring more people into Circuit City to try to find these 4.99 games?
They're trying to get rid of these games for a reason... they've judged the games as not worth the space they're taking up. Plus you've pointed out it brings large numbers into their stores.

I'll go out on a limb and guess that if this only accomplished driving large numbers to head to other stores, CC executives would not be too happy.

[By the way, at this price, any competitor (unless absolutely swamped with business) is going to follow their policy to the letter... they're sure to call CC to confirm that the games are actually in stock.]
Old 07-07-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by fujishig
I wonder why they wouldn't just list all the games in the ad. If people pricematch at other places, doesn't that help circuit city out, since the other stores would have to sell for a loss? Or does it bring more people into Circuit City to try to find these 4.99 games? I wonder how this is going to be organized, because I know that all my local CC's have a mess for a videogame section, and I know that they're not going to relabel all of them...
It's interesting that they are sticking these games at the front of the store. I literally walked in the door, stopped at the bins 10 feet inside the store, picked my games, walked 10 feet to the register, paid and left. I didn't have to look at anything else in the store to get to the games.

The CC in Dublin California has moved all the $4.99 games to the front of the store and relabled them. They are all there now and will likely be gone by Sunday.
Old 07-07-04, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Crap really I may have to head out there tonight..any decent titles left?
Old 07-07-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey I just went there. They had two big bins up front one for ps2 and one for everything else. for xbox I picked up mgs2 and crazy taxi3, I saw celd damage, dr.muto, batman dark tommarow, rlh, jedi outcast, superman, terminator 3, and a bunch of sports games,

I wanted crimison sea, Marvel vs Capcom 2, aliens vs preditor, morrowind(although they had the platnium hits version), panzer dragoon, or secret weapons of normandy, but they didn't have any of those.

I also saw aquaman, the thing, jedi outcast, and rlh in the regual shelf so make sure to check their too

and I guess this can be merged now mods.

EDITED TO ADD:
Not to knock on the sale but a lot of these games you can get at gamestop for like 6.99-9.99.

Last edited by lukewarmwater; 07-07-04 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-07-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I was there at 1pm (CC Dublin, CA)there were 3 big bins and 1 table, shows how fast they are running through things. There was tons of good stuff when I was there, not much that I was interested in but good titles none the less.