Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox & 5.1 audio?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-04, 05:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Xbox & 5.1 audio?

I just purchased a new receiver and finally hooked up my Xbox to it I've noticed though I'm only getting a 2.1 signal if the diagram on the receiver is correct. Should the Xbox be able to do 5.1 by default or do I need something else (I do have it set to dolby digital [or whatever it is I don't have the machine in front of me] not the regular stereo)? For instance House of the Dead 3 has the symbol for 5.1 audio but I'm still only getting it as a 2.1 output. I'm trying to figure out if the problem is w/ the Xbox, the receiver or the user

TIA
Old 07-06-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say it's the user

There should be an option in the XBOX dashboard to set the audio to Dolby Surround.
Old 07-06-04, 05:18 PM

I did that (that's what the dolby digital thing I couldn't remember was ). I just checked and it is set for surround. That's why I was curious to see if some other type of connector was needed as you generally don't see surround signals over two (L/R) audio cables, atleast that I've seen. Usually it's a single digital or split out by channel.
Old 07-06-04, 05:25 PM
Banned

Originally posted by nemein
I did that (that's what the dolby digital thing I couldn't remember was ). I just checked and it is set for surround. That's why I was curious to see if some other type of connector was needed as you generally don't see surround signals over two (L/R) audio cables, atleast that I've seen. Usually it's a single digital or split out by channel.
Get ready to spend $20 buddy. You need the Advanced AV Pack.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/209498.asp

Also you will need a shit I forgot what they are called. Anyway a cable with the red lights on the ends.

If you have a HD TV you're going to need this AV Pack.

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/209496.asp

Hope I've helped ya out.

PS. Dude got ready 5.1 in a game forking makes gaming so much better. It's saved my ass on Xbox Live a few times cause I could hear where a person was cause of the sound. It works great on Rainbow Six. I could hear someone reloading thier gun and know where the nouse was coming from and shit.

Last edited by TOPDAWG; 07-06-04 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-06-04, 05:35 PM

Also you will need a shit I forgot what they are called. Anyway a cable with the red lights on the ends.
Talking about an optical cable (the red light is "in" the cable itself and not just on the connector) right? Figured it was something like that

Thx
Old 07-06-04, 05:42 PM
Banned

Originally posted by nemein
Talking about an optical cable (the red light is "in" the cable itself and not just on the connector) right? Figured it was something like that

Thx
Yeah I mean that for some reason the name just lift my mind. Get the 2nd AV Pack if you use HD TV for gaming. You will spend around $30 for 5.1 but man trust me it's well worth it.

The right name of that cable is a fiber optic cable.

Last edited by TOPDAWG; 07-06-04 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-06-04, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, all covered....

Get the HD pack if you have a HDTV or just get the Advanced A/V Pack.

Then, Fiber Optic CAble....

Check EBAY for REALLY cheap prices if you can wait....but how can you
Old 07-06-04, 07:14 PM
Retired

Yep, have to have the A/V pack and an optical cable.

Crock of crap. I was pissed when I bought my X-box and an Optical cable and then had to run back to the store and get the A/V pack. The digital out should have been built in.
Old 07-06-04, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, it should have been...but what are you gonna do, piss and moan. It's MS, they want your money....of course I needed the HIGH-DEF pack anyways.....
Old 07-06-04, 07:24 PM
Retired

Originally posted by DJ_Longfellow
It's MS, they want your money....
...and damn KOTOR made me cave in and give it to them.
Old 07-06-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'm a top down theorist... make the component (or HDMI) and optical outs standard and make the people who want composite and stereo RCA buy the low-fi kits.
Old 07-08-04, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Another option is to open up the box and make your own coaxial connector: http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/digital-output.php
Old 07-08-04, 05:19 AM

ah... thanks.... I think I'd rather blow the $30 bucks and not blow my box away (considering my lack of skill w/ a soldering iron ).
Old 07-08-04, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Yep, have to have the A/V pack and an optical cable.

Crock of crap. I was pissed when I bought my X-box and an Optical cable and then had to run back to the store and get the A/V pack. The digital out should have been built in.

ps2 would never do that to you.
Old 07-08-04, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just got the HiDef pack and hooked up the optical cable, and when I play games I think I'm getting 5.1, (it's not 2.1) but my receiver doesn't recognize the signal as Dolby Digital. Should it, or do I need to change the settings on the dash?
Old 07-08-04, 03:10 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Giantrobo
ps2 would never do that to you.
Nah, PS2 makes its money by requiring owners to purchase things that are even more "must have" than DD/DTS 5.1 for most people: memory cards, support for more than 2 controllers, and ethernet.
Old 07-08-04, 03:12 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cleaver
I just got the HiDef pack and hooked up the optical cable, and when I play games I think I'm getting 5.1, (it's not 2.1) but my receiver doesn't recognize the signal as Dolby Digital. Should it, or do I need to change the settings on the dash?
Just because sound is coming out of all your speakers doesn't make it DD 5.1. If your receiver doesn't report that the sound is DD 5.1 or DTS, then it isn't. You must turn on Dolby Digital (and DTS if your receiver supports it) in the Dashboard to get DD 5.1.
Old 07-08-04, 03:13 PM
Retired

Originally posted by JM
Nah, PS2 makes its money by requiring owners to purchase things that are even more "must have" than DD/DTS 5.1 for most people: memory cards, support for more than 2 controllers, and ethernet.
I don't think anyone implied that only MS charges for crap that should be standard.

I just hope the next gen systems have digital out and built in memory (preferably high capacity flash or something similar as I trust that more than HDs), but I don't have my hopes up.

I can live without packed in HDs and ethernet (HDs not used in gameplay for anything interesting so far, don't have broadband access,nor much interest in online gaming).
Old 07-08-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I sure hope the next Xbox has DVI or HDMI.
Old 07-08-04, 06:19 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think anyone implied that only MS charges for crap that should be standard.
My point was that there is a better case IMO for included 4-controller support, ethernet, and a HD (or some other built-in memory) than there is (or at least was) for HiDef and 5.1 support. I say was because at the time the Xbox first came out, not many people had HDTV or 5.1 systems while 4-port consoles were the non-Sony norm. That has changed in the past few years, so I think the Xbox 2 should include these connections on the base unit.

Also, (before someone brings it up) as far as the ever popular Xbox DVD dongle issue goes, I think MS was wise not to include it. The various companies that claim patents on DVD and MPEG-2 technology (one of which is Sony) demand a percentage royalty for every hardware unit sold that includes DVD/MPEG-2 support. MS would have had to increase the price of each Xbox, regardless of whether the person intended to use it as a DVD player, in part to pay their competitor Sony the royalties it claims. Sony, of course, had the luxury of being able to include DVD support without this added cost.

I just hope the next gen systems have digital out and built in memory (preferably high capacity flash or something similar as I trust that more than HDs), but I don't have my hopes up.
While Xbox HDs can and do go bad, it is not common enough for me to be overly worried about. Anything really important I can back up to my PC and/or a memcard. Besides, the flash-type memory is not without its problems either.

I can live without packed in HDs and ethernet (HDs not used in gameplay for anything interesting so far, don't have broadband access,nor much interest in online gaming).
On the contrary, the Xbox HD has been used for a lot of interesting and useful things in gameplay so far (not even counting uses with a modded Xbox). Most games use the HD to cache levels etc. in order to reduce the effect of DVD load time. Many Xbox Live games offer new downloadable content--levels, maps, planes, vehicles, characters, etc. The Xbox allows custom soundtracks during games (admittedly, this feature isn't implemented in enough games, which is sad since it's easy to do). Most of this would not be possible without a HD.

Also, ethernet is not just for broadband/Xbox Live. Networking Xboxes over a LAN for 8-16 player Halo goodness is some of the most fun you can have with video games IMO. Again, throw in what you can do with a modded Xbox, and it is that much more important.
Old 07-08-04, 07:30 PM

Just be sure NOT to blow $30-40 on an optical cable, when they can be had on eBay for about $4.00. I swear, people blow so much money on cables it's amazing, and if you shop around a bit you save a ton.
Old 07-08-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally posted by jabbas
Just be sure NOT to blow $30-40 on an optical cable, when they can be had on eBay for about $4.00. I swear, people blow so much money on cables it's amazing, and if you shop around a bit you save a ton.

or Radio Shack. I bought my optical cable splitter and extra optical cable from there and they work fine. I was already stuck with the MONSTER optical cable so I used that for my XBOX and Rat Shack cable went to my ps2. I just bought a video game swither to handle switching the VIDEO and the optical audio from both game console goes to the splitter which goes to my stereo and that's it.
Old 07-08-04, 09:08 PM
Mod Emeritus

You don't want accessories packed into a console that will drive up the price, yet you want more expensive cables packed in that will surely drive up the price?
Old 07-08-04, 11:44 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
You don't want accessories packed into a console that will drive up the price, yet you want more expensive cables packed in that will surely drive up the price?
Sir you can take your logic and go to hell. Logic has no place on the net.
Old 07-08-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
If I'm reading it right, I think what Josh Hinkle was saying was that he doesn't want more expensive cables packed in, but he does want the optical digital audio output port built into the machine. And I agree with that! Xbox really should have come with the optical out built in, like the PS2.

I guess the reasoning behind Microsoft's decision is that anyone who has optical audio is at least going to have s-video inputs on their TV as well, so why not include it in the adapter... kinda makes sense, I suppose it helps reduce the cost of the xbox unit. similar to how Nintendo reduced the cost of the Gamecube by putting the DAC inside the component cable instead of inside the gamecube itself.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.