Reload this Page >

TV Show idea: Last President Standing

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-06-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the 2008 elections, they should do away with the conventions and the caucuses and the blowing of campaign money and advertising and all that. Instead, bring together 50 hopefuls, one from each state, who would like to be the next president of the United States and let them face off in debates, speeches, and maybe even some song and dance for entertainment value from time to time, and each episode a few get kicked off the show until we only have two candidates left for November 2008 to choose from. That way, the advertisers pay for the entire campaign (as if there aren't enough outside influences in the president campaigns already, so this should be a point that is unncessary) and no tax paying money is spent on this, and also it will help boost the economy as well. And no political parties, either. Democrat and Republican are done away with. It's just based on what views and policies you have and if they don't go with a particular political party, who cares? It's the American public that is voting from week to week, along with carefully chosen celebrity judges. And Jon Stewart could be the host.

Either that or put the 50 hopefuls on a desert island and let them fight it out between each other.

Last President Standing: Coming to NBC in 2008!
Old 07-06-04, 04:46 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I seem to recall someone was going to do a "common man for President" reality show that would face contestants off in policy debates until a winner was determined, at which point the network would try to get him on the November ballot. I guess that idea fizzled out somewhere along the way.
Old 07-07-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it ran into huge campaign finance problems
Old 07-07-04, 12:39 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Already being done:

www.americancandidate.com

On showtime this summer.

I found an Otter on there as one of the candiates, but I won't "out" him or her.
Old 07-07-04, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking more serious contenders for presidency, like govenors, senators, that sort. Having them fight it out on a stranded island would be quite fun.