Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is this deal any good (Sony/Athena @ BB)?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-04, 04:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll admit up front I'm not much of an audiophile at all. Half the time I end up just using the TV speakers for DVDs and it doesn't really bother me, but occasionally I like to get the "full effect" I currently have an older Sony receiver (STR-DE835) which works ok but at min I need to replace the speakers (the current ones are larger than the space really "allows" and I don't have a subwoofer). Since a good/decent "home theater" set seems to run about $400-$500 anyway (or maybe those are just the low end ones), I figured it might be worth the extra $150 or so to "upgrade" the receiver[1]. The new model has a front set of inputs (which would be nice considering I just picked up this http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=370954 ) and Digital-EX/DTS-ES.

[1] The deal from BB starting on the 4th is the Sony STRDE697 receiver and the Athena 6HTSB speaker set for $650.
Old 07-04-04, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll never recommend a Sony reciver. Blech. You *will* hear a difference with any decent speaker.

Let me lead off the parade of Onkyo recommendations by being the first to say in this thread that, in your price range, your best bet will be the Onkyo HTiB for about $500-600. The receiver is*way* better than the Sony you are looking at, and the Onk speakers sound fine. I'd bet they will outperform the Athenas handily, from the looks of them.
Old 07-05-04, 09:59 AM

What's wrong w/ Sony receivers? I never had any complaints/problems w/ the last one...
Old 07-05-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by nemein
What's wrong w/ Sony receivers? I never had any complaints/problems w/ the last one...
They pack in a lot of features and not a lot of sound -- or build -- quality. This is also my experience, and I'm only referring to the DE series. I'm sure the ES stuff is fine, if a bit expensive, and the DB stuff is supposed to sound better, but I've never heard any of it.

As far as the "Onkyo speakers might be better than Athenas", without having heard either of those, I would certainly take that bet, putting my money on the Athenas.
Old 07-05-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Count me as another one who doesn't like Sony receivers. I like a lot of the company's other products, but I had the STR-DE835 for a year and got rid of it in favor of an Onkyo. Best move I ever made.

Besides build quality (my Sony had to be replaced under warranty), the sound quality just wasn't there (I had previously had an NAD stereo integrated amp, so I was spoiled). Sony's DE line is lacking, although I will say their higher-end stuff is good.

Rather than a home-theater-in-a-box, let me recommend the Onkyo TXSR-502B, which is the same price as the Sony you were looking at. This receiver is great bang for the buck, and allows you the flexibility to buy any set of speakers you want to go with it.

I know the Athenas are terrific and would be a good match.
Old 07-05-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts
Not an hour ago I switched out my 4 year old Sony STRDE-845 for a H/K AVR 120.

I knew I was unhappy with the sound of the Sony, but had no idea it would be so night and day. I'm still playing and setting up the H/K, but for quality it is a major step above the Sony (BTW, I paid about $250 for the Sony 4 years ago and I picked up this H/K as a remanufactored from H/K for $150 shipped).

FWIW, those that worried about the watts of the lower end H/K's there is nothing to worry about (at least in my set up). As I suspected H/K must vastly under rate their equipment. My Sony (which is not High Current) is rated at 85 watts per channel. This H/K (which is High Current) is rated at 40 watts per channel. The H/K not only offers more shear volume but with OBVIOUSLY more ease and clarity. I could never stand to really "crank up the Sony" you would get tired of it in about 2 minutes. With the H/K, you crank it up if you like and it stays smooth and very listenable.

I switched to 2 channel listening on a CD and shut down the sub. My little Celestions don't have a lot of bass, but what they do have is now tight and solid. I couldn't stand listening to these in 2-channel with the Sony.

The one real obvious thing I hated about the sony was the slightly shrill sound on the highs. Amost like the speakers were being over driven even tho they were not. What impressed me about the H/K is that not only did this go away and the highs were much smoother, but even normal center channel voices were much more rich sounding. They had much more depth I suppose you would say.

BTW, I have nothing against the Onkyo's. Would have loved to pick up a NAD, but just couldn't justify the cost. I picked up this H/K as a "test" to see how I like their products. I figured if nothing else it would make a good bedroom receiver. But it certainly won't need to be banned to a bedroom. The questions is if it stays in the family room or moves to the media room when I get a projector.

I will 3rd or 4th it, get away from the Sony's. You don't really need all those features. Get something that sounds good and does what you need.
Old 07-05-04, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll 4th or 5th it, get away from Sony's low end line of receivers. There are much better quality ones out there. The Onkyo 502 mentioned by Mr. Salty is a great receiver and only $250 with free shipping at jandr.com.

The Onkyo HtiB setups are also very good and usually a great deal pricewise. CircuitCity sells them and you can audition it there if you have a store in your area.
Old 07-06-04, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ill add my two cents also. I am a HUGE sony fan always my first choice in electronics. I will NEVER again dip below a 1000 series model number in their receivers I bought a close to top of the lower line 985 receiver and it was junk. I was almost thrilled when it died at a short lived 4 years. I now am back at a 3000ES and have been very happy with it.

And I have listened to the Athenas they are decent speakers just find a better receiver to match them to.
Old 07-06-04, 08:30 AM

Well thanks for all the help guys... sorry to let you down but I already bought it (before the Sony bashing really began ). I have to say though so far I'm pleased w/ it. I tried the D-Day scene of Saving Private Ryan, the intro of Replacement Killers and the crash scene of Pitch Black and they all sounded great to me. Perhaps if I had a side by side comparison I could hear the difference but as I said I'm not much of an audiophile...
Old 07-06-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My suggestion is *don't* listen to other receivers/speakers suggested above in a side-by-side. You're sure to be disappointed with your purchase if you do. But for now, enjoy it.

I continue to be puzzled by people who post queries here about major purchases, get a decent amount of feedback in a relatively short time, and then (or prior to, without waiting for responses) go against the advice given. ?????
Old 07-06-04, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cseyer
Ill add my two cents also. I am a HUGE sony fan always my first choice in electronics. I will NEVER again dip below a 1000 series model number in their receivers I bought a close to top of the lower line 985 receiver and it was junk. I was almost thrilled when it died at a short lived 4 years. I now am back at a 3000ES and have been very happy with it.
Not sure why you're such a Sony fan, esp. when it comes to receivers, based on your comments. ("...it was junk. I was almost thrilled when it died at a short lived 4 years.") Huh?? (Although some Sony stuff is good. Well, OK, their tube tv's are anyway. Lessee, I once had a pricey Sony HiFi VCR--back when they were expensive, around $300, that died in less than 2 years. Had a Sony carousel CD player that worked for a while, was in storage--safely--for about 6 months, and refused to work again. Had a 'high-powered' Sony receiver, 100 w/ch, that almost convinced me to sell my NHT speakers because they sounded so crappy, only to find out by listening to a friend's system that it was the anemic receiver's fault. Apart from tube tv's--my parents had a nice Trinitron that lasted--I would not buy a Sony electronics item again. Except maybe a PSP, but that's different. $^ )

Also, are you aware that for the same price as Sony's high-end models (which I agree you don't want to go below)--or less, you can get a much better receiver (in terms of sound/build quality) from another manufacturer? I realize the ES series is generally considered to be solid, but in that price range you can also buy a really solid mid-to-upper-range Denon or H-K receiver, which would give nothing up to the Sony.

Last edited by drmoze; 07-06-04 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-06-04, 01:29 PM

I continue to be puzzled by people who post queries here about major purchases, get a decent amount of feedback in a relatively short time, and then (or prior to, without waiting for responses) go against the advice given. ?????
In my case it was a matter of timing. I looked around on the web after posting here and didn't see much against (or much for actually... maybe I just wasn't looking in the right places) the specific receiver/speaker combo. I've always preferred Sony products and haven't had any of the problems that others have mentioned[1]. Since we were out and about on Sunday anyway (at that point only your and stevevt's posts were here), and taking into account I know some people are always anti-[specific brand] I just chalked it up to that and went ahead and bought it After all when the wife says it's ok, and they were down to 2 of them, sometimes you've got to jump at the chance Listening around to the display systems (probably not the best location/way of doing it though ) they all sounded pretty much the same to me so I didn't think much of it.

As I said I do appreciate all the responses though...

[1] As I said the previous receiver was still working fine it just didn't have some of the features I wanted. Similarly the only time I've "had" to replace a Sony product is under similar circumstances. I gave away my first Sony DVD player (a 550 from 98 I believe) last year and it's still working fine for the person I gave it to. I have a Sony computer from 97 I think that it still fine for a simple browsing/document machine. VCR from 2-3 years ago is still fine. etc... The only Sony products I can think of that have ever given out on my are the walkman/cassette players and that was due more to how I treated it and a trinitron monitor that is almost a decade old and can't seem to hold it's sync anymore (I don't think it liked being hooked up to a KVM switch for a couple of years).

Last edited by nemein; 07-06-04 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-06-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts
Originally posted by nemein
In my case it was a matter of timing. I looked around on the web after posting here and didn't see much against (or much for actually... maybe I just wasn't looking in the right places) the specific receiver/speaker combo. I've always preferred Sony products and haven't had any of the problems that others have mentioned[1]. Since we were out and about on Sunday anyway (at that point only your and stevevt's posts were here), and taking into account I know some people are always anti-[specific brand] I just chalked it up to that and went ahead and bought it After all when the wife says it's ok, and they were down to 2 of them, sometimes you've got to jump at the chance Listening around to the display systems (probably not the best location/way of doing it though ) they all sounded pretty much the same to me so I didn't think much of it.

As I said I do appreciate all the responses though...

[1] As I said the previous receiver was still working fine it just didn't have some of the features I wanted. Similarly the only time I've "had" to replace a Sony product is under similar circumstances. I gave away my first Sony DVD player (a 550 from 98 I believe) last year and it's still working fine for the person I gave it to. I have a Sony computer from 97 I think that it still fine for a simple browsing/document machine. VCR from 2-3 years ago is still fine. etc... The only Sony products I can think of that have ever given out on my are the walkman/cassette players and that was due more to how I treated it and a trinitron monitor that is almost a decade old and can't seem to hold it's sync anymore (I don't think it liked being hooked up to a KVM switch for a couple of years).
Well one thing I will say and good for you for getting something! You can research, do homework, get advise, forever. IMHO best to make a decision and then enjoy it. Buy some new DVD's, popcorn and enjoy!
Old 07-06-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Amen to that. Enjoy! I'm sure it sounds great compared to what you had, and I do hope it holds up. Moving up is always a rewarding experience, and I think it's always harder to downgrade once you get used to your system. Heck, I'm sure that there are plenty of audiophiles with top-grade systems that would find my set-up unlistenable! (Despite my having tweaked it to the best of my ability, even though it sounds great to me.) Just like I'll never go back to an Emerson system.... $^)