Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews wanted-Batman(animated) and Super Friends

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 07-03-04, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Anyone see these-yet?Are these must buys?Any special features?
Old 07-07-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I watched one episode from Batman-TAS.
It was "On Leather Wings" and I'd give the picture qualilty a 3.5/5. It looked just like the other disc it was out on a couple of years ago, Batman-TAS: Legend Begins.

I checked out the second of two Extras on disc 1, one's a commmentary on "Leather Wings" and the second, which I watched, was the early demo pilot Bruce Timm created to show WB how the series could look.

I'd pick it up if you enjoyed the series liked I did. Four featurettes, two audio commentaries, 28 eps, and a free ticket to see Catwoman.
Old 07-10-04, 03:46 PM

Batman:TAS - V1 is a must buy. 28 classic episodes of what is possibly the best animated series of all time. Beautiful animation, well-written scripts, haunting score, and perfect voice acting combine for an experience like none other. This is no kids' show, it deals with complex emotional issues and goes places most other "cartoons" don't even approach. Whether you've never had the pleasure of watching this show, have seen it a couple of times, or are an avid fan, I urge you to go out to your nearest retailer and pick up this set NOW!
Old 07-13-04, 07:50 AM

i went to walmart twice last week to pick this up (batman: TAS) and both times they were out! i NEED this boxset........
Old 07-13-04, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here is a review:
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/dvdre...ws.php?id=5512
Old 07-13-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Superfriends is a decent set, with really good picture/sound. You can feel free to skip the commentaries (on 2 episodes), which are by comic writers... but have no valuable or interesting info in them. Just 2 guys hanging out and cracking on the show. Waste of time. The featurette is a little better -- again, just with mostly people expressing nostalgia and such, but better presented.
Old 07-13-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
I just posted a review of
Batman: The Animated Series - Volume 1
Old 07-13-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Batman AS set and it is great. I'm loving going through it. The only minor complaint I have is that the images are a bit dirty. It is noticeable but not a big deal.
Old 07-13-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Batman's a no brainer, but do the Superfriends episodes have any of the Super-lame teenage sidekicks? (besides Robin). I've read conflicting reports of what episodes where what.

Also, I was looking at the box the other day trying to ascertain this, and it had a really weird disclaimer on the back, something about not all the episodes being seen on the Superfriends series originally or something strange. Can anyone decipher that?

thanks
Old 07-14-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by milo bloom
Batman's a no brainer, but do the Superfriends episodes have any of the Super-lame teenage sidekicks? (besides Robin). I've read conflicting reports of what episodes where what.

Also, I was looking at the box the other day trying to ascertain this, and it had a really weird disclaimer on the back, something about not all the episodes being seen on the Superfriends series originally or something strange. Can anyone decipher that?

thanks
1. No "wonder twins" or other sidekicks in the first season.

2. I think that refers to the little 'bumpers' that they'd sometimes do -- things like Superman coming on and reminding viewers that it would be 'super' if they went to bed when their parent's said and brushed their teeth. Those aren't included... just the actual episodes.
Old 07-14-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
1. No "wonder twins" or other sidekicks in the first season.

2. I think that refers to the little 'bumpers' that they'd sometimes do -- things like Superman coming on and reminding viewers that it would be 'super' if they went to bed when their parent's said and brushed their teeth. Those aren't included... just the actual episodes.

1. Thank Krypton for that

2. Hmm, sometimes the cheese factor alone makes those worthwhile. Oh well.

thanks
Old 07-15-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts
Writing up my review, should be up tonite. All I can say is that (a) this show just rocks, even if it sucks, and (b) the commentary by Geoff Johns and Mark Waid on 2 episodes are worth the price of admission.
Old 07-15-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope I can sell my two other Batman DVDs which contain atleast 8 of the same shows on the Batman S1 V1 set.

I hate double dipping and I hate it when a studio tests (no risk to them, we are the ones who have to "Pay the Price") the market so they can sell you the same product twice if everything works out in there favor.

But, I have to buy this, the series has to much quality to pass up.
Old 07-15-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
Superfriends is a decent set, with really good picture/sound. You can feel free to skip the commentaries (on 2 episodes), which are by comic writers... but have no valuable or interesting info in them. Just 2 guys hanging out and cracking on the show. Waste of time. The featurette is a little better -- again, just with mostly people expressing nostalgia and such, but better presented.

I generally don't care for commentaries but I thought the commentaries on the 2 episodes were hilarious.
Old 07-15-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
I generally don't care for commentaries but I thought the commentaries on the 2 episodes were hilarious.

I was having a ball with the commentaries. Like watching Superfriends with your overgrown adolescent friends, knowing how cheesy and lame it is but enjoying every last second of it.
Old 07-15-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Batman: TAS has some definite age showing, there is dust and there are a few audio pops, but the set is great. Some of the first shows are a little less stylistic than the rest of the series (read: cheesy and Captain Planet looking) but as you progress they get better plot-wise and animation-wise. Definitely a recommended set.