Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Untouchables prequel? (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Untouchables prequel? (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Untouchables prequel?

http://www.themediadrome.com/cgi-bin...8779706,30612,

Filmmakers just can't stay away from gangsters. And neither can auds, which is probably why Paramount has decided to revisit 1987's The Untouchables.

That film starred Kevin Costner and Sean Connery as ATF agents in pursuit of Chicago mobster Al Capone. The planned prequel will abandon the focus on the good guys in preference of an examination of the early life of Scarface himself.

Antoine Fuqua (Arthur, Training Day) is said to be in talks to take the helm. Variety has the title as "The Untouchables: Mother's Day."

If it's not about Ness and the team, then shouldn't it be named Capone?
Old 07-02-04, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
They should make a film about some of Ness's later cases, like the one that the graphic novel Torso is based on.
Old 07-02-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
working title:

"the touchables"
Old 07-03-04, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not Antoine Fuqup. What about Joe Carnahan?
Old 06-29-05, 09:44 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
DePalma to direct prequel to The Untouchables

According to a Variety report...

Brian De Palma has returned to the scene of the crime for "The Untouchables: Capone Rising," a Paramount Pictures prequel to his 1987 hit film about lawman Eliot Ness's takedown of Al Capone. De Palma has joined forces with "Untouchables" producer Art Linson, with whom he recently worked on "The Black Dahlia," which was just acquired by Universal Pictures.

Linson got the prequel going at Par, drafting "Rounders" scribes Brian Koppelman and David Levien to write a film that centers on young Al Capone's arrival in Chicago and his rise to criminal kingpin status. The drama charts his collision course with Irish cop Johnny Malone, the character played in the original pic by Sean Connery. Antoine Fuqua was originally attached to direct.

De Palma became interested in the subject matter over the past two months. The director and Linson will continue developing the project with the scribes. Their hope is to get the prequel into production next year.

John Linson will serve as exec producer.
Old 06-29-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Without a script by Mamet, this movie will just be a lame attempt by DePalma to get another financial success after several disappointments.
Old 06-29-05, 09:58 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Didn't like the first one (yeah, you heard me right) so I doubt I'll give much of a flip about this one...
Old 06-29-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drafting "Rounders" scribes Brian Koppelman and David Levien to write a film
Capone henchman: "That shipment cost us eight grand."
Capone: "Eight grand? I wipe my ass with eight grand..... nine if I've had baked ziti."

So I assume this will star neither Connery nor De Niro? Sounds like a train wreck just waiting to happen.
Old 06-29-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is one of those that made me go "what the hell!" Sounds about as bad and pointless as Gladiator 2.

Funny thing about DePalma is you never know what you're going to get. He's directed a lot of good films, but he's also directed a lot of crap.