Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rotten Tomatoes Becoming Part of IGN

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read it and weep

This means not only does IGN have a built-in ranking for movies, but also for games since Rotten Tomatoes started that up last year.
Old 06-29-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You cannot see how many critics liked this movie. You must be an INSIDER!!!!!
Old 06-29-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Rotten Tomatoes Becoming Part of IGN

All right, now I can read Rotten Tomatoes with tons of annoying Flash advertisements.
Old 06-29-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
that's a terrible idea. I don't want a McGriddle rating system.
Old 06-29-04, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have this over in the VG forum as well, but I think they bought them more for a Gamerankings-like system (which Rotten Tomatoes started last year) in order to have a system to compete with Gamespot (which owns Gamerankings).

If it is more for the movie side of things I wouldn't be surprised if IGN goes after IMDB next. The interesting thing will be whether they let RT do their own thing like they did with Team Xbox or not.
Old 06-29-04, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by AgtFox

If it is more for the movie side of things I wouldn't be surprised if IGN goes after IMDB next. The interesting thing will be whether they let RT do their own thing like they did with Team Xbox or not.
IGN would have a tough time acquiring the IMDB as Amazon.com bought it a couple years ago.
Old 06-29-04, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by AgtFox
I have this over in the VG forum as well, but I think they bought them more for a Gamerankings-like system (which Rotten Tomatoes started last year) in order to have a system to compete with Gamespot (which owns Gamerankings).
I highly doubt that. IGN already owns Gamestats.com.
Old 06-30-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Extra super-duper-up-to-the-minute popup blockers recommended to retain sanity.

I have a better suggestion, folks:

www.metacritic.com
Old 06-30-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't worry folks, there's only going to be one minor change. Instead of a fresh tomato and a rotten tomato to represent Fresh and Rotten, it's will now be McGriddle and a Whopper.
Old 06-30-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Joe Molotov
Don't worry folks, there's only going to be one minor change. Instead of a fresh tomato and a rotten tomato to represent Fresh and Rotten, it's will now be McGriddle and a Whopper.
IGN will always be known for that...heh.
Old 06-30-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Kind of bunk if you ask me.
Old 06-30-04, 05:42 PM

Re: Re: Rotten Tomatoes Becoming Part of IGN

Originally posted by Morf
All right, now I can read Rotten Tomatoes with tons of annoying Flash advertisements.
Or maybe IGN will put RT on it's IGN insider page oh well there is always IMDB and Amazon.com owns that site but the question is for how long?
Old 06-30-04, 07:02 PM

no...that is all I have to say...
Old 06-30-04, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Re: Re: Rotten Tomatoes Becoming Part of IGN

Originally posted by DJ_Spyder
Or maybe IGN will put RT on it's IGN insider page oh well there is always IMDB and Amazon.com owns that site but the question is for how long?
That's a huge leap. I doubt you'll notice any major differences with RT. Panic mode = off.
Old 06-30-04, 10:45 PM

Here's a Q & A from the Rotten Tomatoes' founder (taken from their website):

Questions and Answers with Rotten Tomatoes' Founder Senh Duong

We understand that there are alot of questions and rumors from our dedicated Rotten Tomatoes fans and we thought we'd take the opportunity to respond to some of these inquiries.

Q: I thought IGN was a video games web site? Aren't you guys a movies web site? Why would you combine?
Senh: Alot of us here at Rotten Tomatoes love both movies and video games -- they are a natural fit for us, for many of our fans, and for our advertisers. Both companies focus on the coveted 18-34 year-old market, which, increasingly, is leaving traditional media and going online for their information and entertainment. Incidentally, almost all of us here at Rotten Tomatoes just happen to be in that "18-34 year-old" market ourselves. Additionally, the two companies share similar company values -- neither company is really the suit-and-tie type but, more importantly, both companies are really fanatical about movies and video games and about putting together a really great offering for our fans. With IGN, we will be have many more resources at our disposal to really improve and expand Rotten Tomatoes for our fans.

Q: Will the Rotten Tomatoes and the Tomatometer be replaced with IGN logos everywhere?
Senh: One of the most important considerations towards agreeing to the deal was that IGN understood and respected the brand and fan-following that Rotten Tomatoes has developed over the past couple of years. Rotten Tomatoes brand and team will continue to exist. IGN and Rotten Tomatoes will remain two separate web sites that will share some resources but will continue to serve their own distinctive and fanatical users.

Q: Does this mean you're going to begin charging for the forums and The Vine or for accessing the Tomatometer?
Senh: The intention of this acquisition is to improve Rotten Tomatoes' offerings, not to disable or charge for what people are already using for free... that just wouldn't make sense. We do plan to eventually have new features and offerings, some which may or may not be charged, but these will be improvements on currently existing free features.

Q: Does IGN or Rotten Tomatoes intend to purchase any other web sites?
Senh: Nothing is certain right now and we're considering all options which include growing Rotten Tomatoes, partnering with other web sites and publications, and even possibly buying other companies. We are always looking at new opportunities to offer our existing fans more value, to continue to build our fanbase, and to increase our value to our customers and advertisers. In general, however, our focus continues to entertainment and, in particular, to movies.

Q: Just how popular is Rotten Tomatoes?
Senh: Well, it's alot bigger than when I first started it in August 1998. Rotten Tomatoes reached an audience of 5.17 million unique users in the month of May, according to comScore's Media Metrix report.

Q: Is anyone going to get laid off at Rotten Tomatoes? Is the team going to change?
Senh: That's crazy talk! Our Rotten Tomatoes team has been together as a group for many years; most of us have worked together longer than even Rotten Tomatoes has been around. Our current plan is to retain our ten existing employees in our existing offices at our existing cubicles.

Q: Did you make alot of money on the deal? Are you going to buy a Porsche now?
Senh: I'm sorry, but I can't talk about specifics of the deal or I would have to kill you. No, really, I want to emphasize that the most important aspect of this announcement will be that I will continue to be planning Rotten Tomatoes' growth in the coming weeks and months. Rotten Tomatoes is still my baby. And, no, I don't intend to buy a Porsche... maybe a Volvo.