Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Deep Sea Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-04, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Open Water Questions

Since most of you on here have probably seen Fahrenheit 9/11 then you most likely saw the trailer for the new Lions Gate Film "Open Water", the story based on actual events, of two divers who get stranded in the middle of the ocean when their tour boat leaves them. I had a couple of questions regarding the premise of the movie.

1. Why the hell did the boat leave them in the first place?
2. How the hell did they keep treading water for as long as they did with all that damn SCUBA gear on?

I guess maybe ill have to wait to see it to have these inquireis answered but just wondering if anyone had any info. HELP

Last edited by mwdkill; 06-28-04 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-28-04, 05:04 PM

The movie is called "Open Water".
Old 06-28-04, 05:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Deep Sea Questions

Well I guess you can lead a horse to Fahrenheit 9/11 but you can't make him know anything about the outdoors.

Originally posted by mwdkill

2. How the hell did they keep treading water for as long as they did with all that damn SCUBA gear on?
All that equipment has significantly less weight underwater. Diving underwater is based on the premis of neutral buoyancy. When naked your body naturally wants to float to the surface. Divers don’t just wear tanks and regulators, they also wear additional weight in the form of lead weights attached to a weight belt. All of this is done to achieve neutral buoyancy, meaning rather than your body tending to float toward the surface, which it would do if you were naked, the body stays at whatever depth you swim to. The heavy lead weights and gear is balanced by an inflatable bladder that you wear that kind of looks like a small life jacket. You can inflate and deflate this bladder by blowing into it. By doing this you balance out your buoyancy at whatever depth you might go to.

As for how they got stuck out there…I don’t know. Bad dive captain I guess. They’re supposed to do a head count. The same thing happened last week out here in CA and a guy I know was the one who rescued the two stranded divers who were left behind. They were only left behind for 14 hours or something like that. The biggest problem you would face if you were stranded at sea is hypothermia. Even with a wetsuit on and a relatively warm water temp you could go into hypothermic shock in under 24 hours (your body temperture being 98.6)

Last edited by Pants; 06-29-04 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-28-04, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by Mike Long
The movie is called "Open Water".
Thanks...was thinking of deep blue sea for a second
Old 06-28-04, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by mwdkill
Thanks...was thinking of deep blue sea for a second
No problem...I'm always thinking about "Deep Blue Sea"!
Old 06-29-04, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Mike Long
No problem...I'm always thinking about "Deep Blue Sea"!
You too!?
Old 06-29-04, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They were left in the water because of a mis-count with the diving group they went out with. Apparently it has happened on more than one occasion in real life. The group surfaces, thinks they have everyone in the group, and they leave.
Old 06-29-04, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, basically what happens is
Spoiler:
two people get back into the boat from the water earlier than everyone else. The captain counts them as on. Then they go back into the water, which the captain misses. When they come back on again after the scuba session is done, they are counted again. Hence, the captain thought all were accounted for, when in reality, there were two divers left in the water.

Damn fine film, I highly recommend seeing it as soon as it comes out.