Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Bobby

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Bobby

Has anybody heard anything about the state of this film?

I was really excited when I heard about it. It is supposed to center around the assassination of U.S. Senator Robert F. Kennedy, on June 4th, 1968, and it centers around 22 people who were at the Ambassador Hotel where he was killed.

I believe it is also written and directed by Emilio Estevez. Please, no cracks on EE, I'm only looking for info about the movie. If you hate him, that's fine, but please take it elsewhere.
Old 10-25-05, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, it looks like Bobby is greenlighted - with a decent cast: Anthony Hopkins, Sharon Stone, Elijah Wood, and Demi Moore.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050824/law032.html?.v=22
Old 11-09-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/fs/2...155987800.html

Macy & Hunt Among BOBBY Guests
Wednesday November 9 10:11 AM ET

Emilio Estevez lures William H. Macy, Helen Hunt, Christian Slater and James Marsden to his Robert Kennedy project.

By Dennis Michael, FilmStew.com

Some of the biggest names in Hollywood are lining up to work on Emilio Estevez' film about the assassination of Robert Kennedy. The Hollywood Reporter indicates William H. Macy, Helen Hunt, Christian Slater and James Marsden have all signed up, and the director's father, Martin Sheen, is in negotiations to join Bobby.

The cast now includes Sir Anthony Hopkins, Demi Moore, Sharon Stone, Lindsay Lohan and Elijah Wood.and incidentally, Emilio Estevez.

The film will follow this large cast of characters as their fates intertwine at the Los Angeles Ambassador Hotel in the hours before Presidential candidate Bobby Kennedy's 1968 assassination.

The movie is currently in production, with Estevez directing from his own script.
Old 11-09-05, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I know is that it has been in pre-production hell for years. It's amazing to see it made after all.
Old 08-30-06, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Bump.

http://www.movieweb.com/movies/film/36/3636/summary.php

Looks like it is finally finished and is slated to be released Nov. 17, 2006.

Anybody have any additional info?

I'd like to at least see a teaser trailer, but I can't find anything.
Old 08-30-06, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, here's the poster:

Old 08-31-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like Bobby really has nothing to do with Bobby, per si. Just like JFK wasn't really about JFK.

But it is the first theatrical picture "about" Bobby Kennedy, so there's that.
Old 08-31-06, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Will this be the first film gig of Helen Hunt in years?
Old 08-31-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Nick Cannon - No Sale.

Oh, nevermind.
Old 12-03-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This felt like a Friday night episode of "Hotel" from the 1980's, it was just so nondescript in shoehorning its points on race and inequities of a class system that has evolved in the US on the eve of the 1968 primary elections in California. The use of the steadicam shots lacked a certain spontaneity and got a little too cute at times because I kept focusing on whether the cameraman would show up in the mirrors during the shots, and not the on acting performances, most of which were not helped by an average script.

RFK was almost an afterthought at times, and the lack of focus on the man himself, in favor of all the soap opera elements detracted quite a bit from the film. There wasn't a good way to screw up the tragedy that lies in wait, so the ending wasn't bad, but it never really built up any tension to that fateful day, and you're left with an "eh" feeling coming out of the theater.

I give it 1.75 stars, or a grade of C-.
Old 12-04-06, 08:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
This felt like a Friday night episode of "Hotel" from the 1980's, it was just so nondescript in shoehorning its points on race and inequities of a class system that has evolved in the US on the eve of the 1968 primary elections in California. The use of the steadicam shots lacked a certain spontaneity and got a little too cute at times because I kept focusing on whether the cameraman would show up in the mirrors during the shots, and not the on acting performances, most of which were not helped by an average script.

RFK was almost an afterthought at times, and the lack of focus on the man himself, in favor of all the soap opera elements detracted quite a bit from the film. There wasn't a good way to screw up the tragedy that lies in wait, so the ending wasn't bad, but it never really built up any tension to that fateful day, and you're left with an "eh" feeling coming out of the theater.

I give it 1.75 stars, or a grade of C-.
I agree, Estevez felt like he wanted to be Altman-esque... yet he never seemed to embellish the back story on some of the characters. Interesting in concept, but as a film pretty mediocre.
Old 12-04-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Someone should really pool their efforts with other great screenwriters and come up with a Robert Kennedy film that would match the emotional impact of Mr. Smith Goes To Washington.

Robert Kennedy's life was very much like the one of Jefferson Smith (except for the money, political influence, and brother of the President). Those little things aside, Robert Kennedy was one man fighting a Political Machine against tremendous odds.