Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Wimbledon

Old 06-27-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts
Wimbledon

This one came out of nowhere for me. It might be a "chick" flick, but I'm looking forward to it. I really like Paul Bettany - especially enjoyed his work in First Knight.

If anybody knows of some other films that he has been in (besides the Russle Crowe one), please pass along.

My real reason for posting is, if you look at the trailer (link below), I'm wondering what the song played while they are driving and swerve around the bus. It's at other portions too.

Thanks!

http://mp3content02.bcst.yahoo.com/p.../8/6210860.mov
Old 06-27-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like it might be interesting, probably a bit on the chick side, but I might check it out. Yeah he's actually been in two Russell Crowe movies, A Beautiful Mind and Master and Commander.

The song playing through the second half of the trailer, which I think is the one you are asking about, is U2's cover of Everlasting Love.
Old 07-05-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the song info.

Yes, chickflickish, but I think it will still be quite good.
Old 07-05-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do you know how funny it is that you are right? I just ripped my U2 cds and that song is on disc 2 of the best of set, which I think I listened to once when i first bought like two years ago.
Old 07-05-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He has a good performance as Chaucer in A Knight's Tale. I don't think he was in First Knight.
Old 07-06-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I apologize. I meant Knight's Tale. I've never even seen First Knight! =)
Old 09-18-04, 12:49 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
Saw this friday night and really enjoyed it, typical fare from working title films, and not as funny as I expected it to be, more of a romance, than a romantic comedy.

All in all a good show, but not as funny as the preview for Bridget Jones 2.

I'd say 6/10. My mrs and her friend both loved it, and neither of them like Kirsten Dunst.

Bettany was excellent in it.
Old 09-18-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All the critics have been saying Kirsten gets top billing, but this is Bettany's flick. I wanna see it, but no one else I know wants to...
Old 09-18-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"Wimbledon" is pretty as fluffy as you imagine it would be just based on the ads and trailers for the film. But the 2 leads (Kirsten Dunst and Paul Bettany) have good chemistry in this whirlwind romance in a fortnight at Wimbledon.

Predictable, probably. Sappy, yes. Watchable, yup. Just don't expect more out of it than what has been advertised.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 09-18-04, 06:53 PM

Received 773 Likes on 504 Posts
My wife and I would like to this film... and by the way, it has a wonderfully designed website.
Old 09-19-04, 12:05 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
Wow the webpage is pretty sweet, I enjoyed the opening credits.
Old 09-19-04, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
That webpage is cool - I might see if my parents will watch the baby for a couple of hours so the wife and I can see this.
Old 09-19-04, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did anyone think that Jennifer Connelly slipped into this film?

In the first scene with Peter Colt (Paul Bettany) and his "lost but now found" agent Jon Favreau in the hotel, there's a brunette sitting in the background behind Favreau, and it looked a lot like Connelly, who is married to Bettany, but she's kept out of focus while the camera is focused on Favreau.
Old 09-19-04, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Paul Bettany was also recently in the little-seen "The Reckoning" with Willem Dafoe.

The film was pleasant enough, though very formulaic. I liked Bettany's performance and the gimmick of occasionally hearing his inner thoughts.
Old 09-19-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll see it for Kirsten in a tennis outfit.
Old 09-19-04, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I thought the tennis scenes could've been slightly extended since the film was so short at 90 mins., but it really is the Paul Bettany Show.

It's got some nice British funny moments as well.

It's not quite as predictable as expected because there are 2 people trying to win titles here (Dunst & Bettany).

I guess the best word to describe it would be "enjoyable and somewhat humorous".

Favreau was nice as the agent.
Old 09-20-04, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Perhaps I'm alone in my humor. I loved this film. I felt like it was 2 hours+ rather than 90 minutes!!
I really think the trailers were misleading. Yes, it has romantic undertones, but the story is more about Peter, Peter Colt rather than Lizzy and Peer.
I actually think there were times when I was the only person in the theater laughingl - and it was 90% full!!

For what it's worth, I saw Sky Captain and Wimbeldon this weekend, and I liked Wimbeldon much more.
Old 09-26-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
This was much better than I thought it would be. *** out of *****.

Kirsten Dunst was her cute and sexy self and Paul Bettany proved that he could be a male lead. Very versatile actor. Favreau was funny as always.

Spoiler:
I didn't think he would actually win.
Old 09-26-04, 09:33 PM

For what it's worth, I saw Sky Captain and Wimbeldon this weekend, and I liked Wimbeldon much more.

Yeah, that's what I did this weekend too, but I liked Sky Captain much more.

I did like Paul Bettany a lot in the lead role(I thought he was great in Beautiful Mind and Master & Commander) and Kirsten Dunst was cute and sexy(especially in her tennis outfit) as the more agressive one in the beginning of the film. They were the two sole reasons for my interest in the film. I had feelings that this was going to be a fluffy light romance, but with these two likable stars I thought it could still an entertaining movie. But my problem was I felt that the actors didn't elevate the material enough from predictiability and cliches.

I did like some of the photography of the tennis matches and the way they expressed Peter Colt's inner thoughts. I also liked how Peter's success kind of rekindled his parents love for one another.

What's with all the love for Favreau? The only bit that made me laugh was the cell phone. I thought the film was widely uneven when it came to its comedic dialogue.

I do hope to see more of Bettany, and well, of course Dunst can't get tired of her, I think she is becoming quite a talented adult actress. **1/2/****
Old 09-27-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I'm glad you two liked it as well. Though you gotta give it more props than 2.5 and 3 * respectively!

On another note - does anybody know if there is a soundtrack available or in the works? I've been looking around for one and can't seem to find it.

I'm a little surprised there isn't one given how popular some of the songs are.
Old 09-27-04, 04:58 PM

I am quite suprised there wouldn't be a soundtrack for the film, it seems every movie has a soundtrack released these days.