Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

White Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White Noise

Has anybody heard anything about this movie? I just watched the trailer and it looks really intense and good.

Here's the imdb link, although there's very little info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375210/

The basic premise has to do with electronic voice phenomena, how the dead speak to us through electronic devices. The movie deals with a man who is able to communicate with his wife who was murdered. It looks to be pretty intense and could be scary. Michael Keaton is the lead.

If anyone's interested about EVP check out this website: http://www.aaevp.com
Old 06-26-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts
Where did you find the trailer?
Old 06-26-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
If this is based on Don DeLillo's book, then they've completely changed the plot of it around. Here's the book description:
Jack Gladney teaches Hitler studies at a liberal arts college in Middle America where his colleagues include New York expatriates who want to immerse themselves in "American magic and dread." Jack and his fourth wife, Babette, bound by love, fear of death, and four ultramodern offspring, navigate the usual rocky passages of family life to the background babble of brand-name consumerism. Then a lethal black cloud floats over their lives, an airborne "toxic event," an industrial accident. The menacing cloud is a more urgent and visible version of the "white noise" engulfing the Gladney family - radio transmissions, sirens, microwaves, ultrasonic appliances, and TV murmurings - pulsing with life, yet filled with dread and danger
EDIT: Nevermind, it's not based on DeLillo's book, just has the same name. The movie looks like it could possibly be good.

Last edited by Tom Banjo; 06-26-04 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-27-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I took a survey at goZing.com, that's where I saw the trailer. If I can find it available online anywhere I'll post a link. It's one of the most chilling trailers I've seen in a while.
Old 09-12-04, 01:11 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Just saw the trailer to this movie and it looks extremely freaky.

http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplayli...tw=640&qth=400
Old 09-12-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know the voices heard have been floating around the internet as I recall the "Get out of my house". anyone shed some light on that and where it's been floating around?
Old 09-12-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
shit - that's one freaky trailer.
Old 09-12-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the trailer isn't bad. But i'm betting it's another pg13 thriller that will feel awfully similiar to the ring.
Old 09-12-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Is that a problem? the ring was pretty cool. A thriller doesn't need to be full of gore to scare you. Hell, once you get buckets of blood it starts to become really silly.
Old 09-12-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the ring was pretty cool.
It would've been pretty cool if I didn't see the superior Ring(u) before it.

A thriller doesn't need to be full of gore to scare you.
Exactly. But Americans haven't recently been able to make a good, non-bloody scary movie yet. But the Asians have.
Old 09-12-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I welcome the asian horror. I get scared from it far more then I ever did with american horror.
Old 09-13-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
the VO in that trailer, and the tag line, kills it completely for me.

Sad. Kind of an interesting concept.
Old 09-13-04, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
They played the trailer for this when I saw Resident Evil.

I must admit I was kinda freaked out especially since I've worked on shows where EVP "researchers" have been interviewed.
Old 09-13-04, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally posted by RichC2
the VO in that trailer, and the tag line, kills it completely for me.

Sad. Kind of an interesting concept.

Wow. While I don't know how this film will be, and you have every right to your choice, I think blowing it off due to the trailer is kinda premature. Just like kick ass trailers don't guarantee a kick ass movie, "bad" trailers don't always mean the movie will suck.

Granted, your reaction says alot about how advertisers need to get it right the first time because the public rarely gives you a second chance to wow them.
Old 09-13-04, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
It would've been pretty cool if I didn't see the superior Ring(u) before it.
I saw Ring and Ring 2 as well as Ring Virus (the Korean one) and several other knock-offs before seeing the US version and I still thought they did a great job americanizing the film. I found it to be effective even though I knew what was going to happen. I had problems with it - mainly the backstory changes and the way they overexplained to demystify the supernatural-ness of it - but it was basically good.

Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel
Exactly. But Americans haven't recently been able to make a good, non-bloody scary movie yet. But the Asians have.
Really? We haven't? What about The Others or Sixth Sense or What Lies Beneath or Blair Witch or Stir of Echoes or Session 9 or...? The Forgotten looks great. Bloody movies are a separate genre - slasher films and such. I don't find blood particularly scary. American studios can make good films. No need to count them out.

Besides, I've been seeing a slew of Japanese, Korean and Chinese horror films lately and they all (good and bad) feature some ghost girl in a white dress with long black hair in her face exposing only one eye. It gets really old even when they're doing it.

Regardless, this film looks pretty freaky and I'm interested to see it and I'm always up to go see Michael Keaton in a film (as long as he's not a snowman or a batman)... I don't think it'll be a ripoff of Ring at all - in theme, it seems moderately original and the closest asian film I can think of is Phone or maybe Into the Mirror (both korean), but neither are about this same thing. There's plenty of asian horror films recently that deal with ghosts and many with ouija boards and crap, but none that I can think of that this film could be ripping off.
Old 09-13-04, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Is that a problem? the ring was pretty cool. A thriller doesn't need to be full of gore to scare you. Hell, once you get buckets of blood it starts to become really silly.
For me it is. I generally don't like these new supernatural themed thrillers like the ring or their asian counterparts. I've seen a few already, things like ringu, juon the grudge, shikoku, tomie, the eye and a few others. White Noise looks like more of the same. Of course i'll need to see more of that same to actually commit to an opinion of the actual film. I will agree that buckets of blood can make a movie really silly and almost always overshadow any real tension or terror. My general preference are horror films made back in the days of the 1970s. Weird films made on low budgets usually by nobodys not bounded by studios to recycle the same junk over and over. Some really good 70s supernatural films aside from the obvious choices include: Let's scare jessica to death, Burnt offerings, Warlock moon, The Changeling, Blood on satan's claw, Lemora, The Witch who came from the sea. Most of these are available on dvd and worth a look.
Old 09-13-04, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Does anyone know if there is actual stories behind the voices? I seem to recall that "Get out of my house" line floating around the internet or something like that.
Old 09-13-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Really? We haven't? What about The Others or Sixth Sense or What Lies Beneath or Blair Witch or Stir of Echoes or Session 9 or...? The Forgotten looks great. Bloody movies are a separate genre - slasher films and such. I don't find blood particularly scary. American studios can make good films. No need to count them out.
All of those sucked, now compare them to Sunday Morning's list of films:
Some really good 70s supernatural films aside from the obvious choices include: Let's scare jessica to death, Burnt offerings, Warlock moon, The Changeling, Blood on satan's claw, Lemora, The Witch who came from the sea.
Yeah, recent mainstream American horror simply blows. I'll take American horror films from any other decade or horror films from any other country that is not the United States.
Old 09-14-04, 06:03 PM

just saw the trailer. look very very good.
Old 09-25-04, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

what the hell? People bashing it already? It was barely a trailer (Rival clears his throat................................"hence.....like a teaser")

Anyway, all dumb bashing aside (man, take a break from posting for a while and you really appreciate things more........uh, wait did I just say that?) I'm looking forward to this one.
Old 09-27-04, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[original]Bumping the ORIGINAL thread for further discussion[/original]
Old 10-10-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are those real recordings, or just fake recordings made to look real so that people get freaked out?

Either way I'm looking forward to this, The Grudge remake, and Saw. Hopefully it'll be a good year for horror movies.
Old 10-10-04, 10:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks pretty cool, and the only thing that makes it reminiscent of The Ring are the close-ups of tapes.

Michael Keaton is looking old.

And Trigger, of all those films you listed as examples of good modern American horror without tons of gore, I only liked Session 9. Right now both Britain and Japan are making better horror movies than America.

I liked the way the trailer explained EVP, and the story of the movie was almost a footnote to that.
Old 10-11-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Suprmallet

I liked the way the trailer explained EVP, and the story of the movie was almost a footnote to that.
I think thats was the trailer really effective for me.....the official sounding voice guy alone talking about EVP creeped me out. This movie may or may not be good...but this well crafted trailer will get me in the seat.
Old 10-11-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The trailer, while making EVP sound convincing, didn't work do well for the actual movie footage. The Movie footage in contrast to the "evidence" looks hokey and Lifetime-movie-ish.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.