Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Any recommendations for who to go through to order a custom directv installation?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Any recommendations for who to go through to order a custom directv installation?

Old 06-24-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently found 2 100 hour directivo's on sale by a store that was closing. I couldn't pass the price up so I bought them. Now I am looking to get directv and not sure who I should go through. I know directv offers three room basic installation, but what I am looking to do is get a three room basic installation and then the two directivos installed in a fourth room. Any suggestions on who I should order through? Or has anyone ordered satellite through one of the many websites that offers it that can recommend a good site to try.
Old 06-24-04, 11:10 AM

This is totally off topic, but it was the first thing that popped into my head when I read your question. How do you plan on using the remote control with both directivos in the same room? Wouldn't the remote cause the same thing to happen with both boxes? Am I missing something? Sorry for the hijack.
Old 06-24-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally posted by aerobson
This is totally off topic, but it was the first thing that popped into my head when I read your question. How do you plan on using the remote control with both directivos in the same room? Wouldn't the remote cause the same thing to happen with both boxes? Am I missing something? Sorry for the hijack.

I have 2 Replay-TVs in my setup and use the same remote. I simply toggle them with the on/off switch. They can record stuff when off so there is no issue. When I click the power button, one turns on and the other turns off. I can go through all the functions of the one that is on while nothing happens to the one that is off.

Works out pretty well.
Old 06-24-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by aerobson
Going through the TiVo menu you can switch the frequency on one remote, allowing two in the same room. The problem is just figuring out which remote works which TiVo on a constant basis.
Old 06-24-04, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
I have 2 Replay-TVs in my setup and use the same remote. I simply toggle them with the on/off switch. They can record stuff when off so there is no issue. When I click the power button, one turns on and the other turns off. I can go through all the functions of the one that is on while nothing happens to the one that is off.

Works out pretty well.
Originally posted by Chew
Going through the TiVo menu you can switch the frequency on one remote, allowing two in the same room. The problem is just figuring out which remote works which TiVo on a constant basis.
Thanks guys, I figured it would work somehow, but I kept picturing both Tivos doing the same thing and the original poster getting all frustrated. Funny if you think about it.

You may now resume your original thread.
Old 06-24-04, 01:31 PM

if you can get 2 lines into the room, why have 2 tivos in the room? you can still watch a show while the other tuner records another show.

unless you're recording a ton of stuff on TV.

when i ordered mine, i got it thru rapidsattelite.com, they had the best deal, upto 5 room system for free. or dtivo & 2 room for free. free install too.
Old 06-24-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Red Dog •

Yet another area where TiVo is superior.

das
Old 06-24-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Chew
That is why i plan on using one of my stand alone remotes to control the setup since they have the switch to control two tivo units.

Originally posted by ktan1
if you can get 2 lines into the room, why have 2 tivos in the room? you can still watch a show while the other tuner records another show.

unless you're recording a ton of stuff on TV.

when i ordered mine, i got it thru rapidsattelite.com, they had the best deal, upto 5 room system for free. or dtivo & 2 room for free. free install too.
I record a ton of stuff. These will be replacing my 2 tivo SA 80 hour currently in my room. Total I have about 140 season passes and usually more than two shows with conflicts, plus again it goes back to the price. Also with roommates it is easier to have both in my room rather than trying to record when they want to watch tv in the family room.
Old 06-27-04, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone ordered from Solid Signal ? They seem to have the best deal for Dtivo. 35 hour for 19.99 with install and 100 hour for 205.00 with install plus shipping.