Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

James Cameron's "TITANIC" vs the other TITANIC films

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-04, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before I say anything, let it be known that I LOVE Cameron's Titanic for its technical and emotional achievements.

That said, here are the things I've noticed when comparing Cameron's version with other versions I've seen recently. Before I get into it, I should be honest and admit that I've only seen Titanic (1953) and A Night To Remember (1958) and am eagerly awaiting 1943's Nazi Germany's version of TITANIC, due later this Summer.

*Cameron made Captain Smith a buffoon (if Peter Sellers had been cast as the captain, it would have been the same performance). In the other films, he was decisive, authoritative, and brave.

*Cameron had to add villains - yet he never redeemed them. In other films (specifically 1953's version, the villain redeemed his selfish ways and won my heart).

*Cameron allowed disbelief in his version. What was the deal with Rose being able to miraculously take the axe and break the chain that held Jack's handcuffs? C'mon, man! That was so weak it wasn't even funny, and if the film wasn't so great, Cameron would have received much distain for that dispicable act. Couldn't he have written a different situation where Rose maybe finds the key to free Jack?! This senario is the poorest part of the film, and I wish it had been done differently.

Okay. There you go. Perhaps some out there have seen more than what I've seen, and can add something to this thread.

Last edited by Buttmunker; 06-23-04 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-23-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I for one quite like Cameron's Titanic. While it does suffer from some weak dialogue here and there, overall the love story was engaging, the characters interesting, and as an epic about the sinking of the Titanic...well it's spot on. The sinking is very impressive, and the scope and style of the period is captured magnificently.

Now...I haven't seen any other Titanic movies, unless you count Time Bandits. So no comment there.
Old 06-23-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I prefer "A Night To Remember". I like the docu-drama feel to the movie.
I did like JC's Titanic. I do wish James Cameron had included the whole Carpathia - Californian aspect of the story. Without it, a very important sequence of the disaster was missing. Hopefully, if JC ever get's around to a extended cut, he will include it.