Old 06-23-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Anyone Check Out Next Action Hero or Joe Schmoe 2 on 6/22/04

If so, what'd you think?

Viviana=whoa
Old 06-23-04, 03:05 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
We should probably split this into two different conversations since these are two completely different shows.
Old 06-23-04, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Joe Schmoe 2 - the end, where they were building up the suspense before revealing who gets booted from the house by quickly cutting between all the faces and then the falcon and frog generously dispersed into the sequence - had me laughing and gasping for air as it just kept going, with the music escalating. For anyone who missed it, I recommend checking out the repeat whenever Spike airs it again.
Old 06-23-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by lucasorion
re: Joe Schmoe 2 - the end, where they were building up the suspense before revealing who gets booted from the house by quickly cutting between all the faces and then the falcon and frog generously dispersed into the sequence - had me laughing and gasping for air as it just kept going, with the music escalating. For anyone who missed it, I recommend checking out the repeat whenever Spike airs it again.
That had me going too. I don't watch really any of these type of reality shows Joe Schmo parodies, but I did catch part of the finale of one of them (Joe Millionaire?) and I was getting a good laugh last night at the part where they are waiting for the host to show up for the elimination ceremony. It just dragged on long enough to be kind of uncomfortable like it was in the real thing, but more so.

I've been enjoying this show so far this season. I'm especially enjoying Ingrid. Really makes me wonder what I missed out on the first season. Been thinking of buying that one on DVD blindly to see how it is.
Old 06-23-04, 05:14 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw them both. I enjoyed Schmo 2, and like the way they're incorporating love reality the show cliches in there. The look on Piper's face when Ernie look off his shirt! And the crazy emotional girl...

Next Action Star on the other hand... that will probably be the last time I watch it. It's just boring. It's just bad actors performing in cliched scenes. It's not fun AT ALL. And it's made worse by the fact they REALLY screwed up in picking judges. Three casting directors? Yawn. Good for the behind-the-scenes aspect, but horrible for the reality show aspect. They should've stolen a page from American Idol and picked the "behind the scenes guy" (Randy), the "talent scout" (Simon), and the "star" (Paula). In this context, the 'Randy' would be an action producer or director (why not Joel Silver?), the 'Simon' could be one of these talent scouts, and the 'Paula' would be some washed up former action star, like a Steven Seagal or Dolph Lundgren. It would be a MUCH better mix than the three they got.
Old 06-24-04, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Joe Schmo 2

2 words:

Baskin Robbins

Old 06-24-04, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm must watching NAS for Viviana, once she's out i'll probably stop watching.

I was actually excited about it for the first 2 episodes, but this last one was just so bad.
Old 06-24-04, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So far, it seems that Joe Schmo 2 won't be nearly as funny as the first season. But it's still worth watching. Agree about all that editing near the end between the bird and frog and faces. Oh my god... that was sooooo funny.
Old 06-24-04, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
We should probably split this into two different conversations since these are two completely different shows.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=358061

Unless there is enough interest for a Joe Schmo 2 thread every week, we should keep the discussion here.

Chris
Old 06-24-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I watched every episode of Next Action Star so far. I like it. But hope there are more stuff happening behind the auditioning. I think moving into the mansion will spice up the show. Will keep on tuning in.
Old 06-24-04, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by mookiemeister
I watched every episode of Next Action Star so far. I like it. But hope there are more stuff happening behind the auditioning. I think moving into the mansion will spice up the show. Will keep on tuning in.
Unfortunately the ratings have been pretty bad for this show. They better not pull the show before the end.

And get that beotch Viviana out of there ASAP. She's got her head up her ass so far, that she can't see the light of day.

Chris
Old 06-24-04, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by atlantamoi
So far, it seems that Joe Schmo 2 won't be nearly as funny as the first season. But it's still worth watching.
I didn't catch half of Joe Schmo 1, but I don't remember really laughing out loud at the episodes I saw - did they do funny stuff like the "Will you take my pearl necklace?" double entendres (sp?)?

I also enjoy Ingrid, but she's a little too hot for it to be convincing that the bachelor guy would only be paying attention to Ditzy Implants.
Old 02-17-14, 08:26 PM
Suspended

Re: Anyone Check Out Next Action Hero or Joe Schmoe 2 on 6/22/04

whatever happened to the winner of Next Action Hero?
Old 02-17-14, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
whatever happened to the winner of Next Action Hero?
Here's his bio courtesy of IMDB:

Sean Carrigan was born on May 16, 1974 in Fairfax, Virginia, USA. He is an actor and producer, known for John Carter (2012), Bet Your Life (2004) and Favre Rise: What Should I Do (2011).
He's also recently had a recurring role in "The Young and the Restless".

The female winner was Corinne Van Ryck de Groot (obviously she changed her name for professional reasons). She starred with Carrigan in the TV-movie "Bet your Life", which was the "prize" for the show (it was a movie where most of it had been shot in a "modular" style and then they were "plugged into" scenes so that the film could be shown the week after the winners were announced. Corinne did some acting and was in the revamp of "American Gladiators" a few years back. She's most recently worked as a stuntwoman on shows like "Lost" and "Heroes".
Old 02-18-14, 11:29 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I commented on this and have absolutely no memory of ever having seen this show.
Old 02-18-14, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
Wow, I commented on this and have absolutely no memory of ever having seen this show.
Old 02-18-14, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I very vaguely remember Next Action Hero. Reality television was still in its infancy and the production companies were still exploring what works, instead of solely concentrating on searching for Bigfoot/Gold/Pawn items.