Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Rooftop antenna reception/signal issues

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-23-04, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

I have a rooftop antenna that was likely installed when my home was built (circa 1978).

I always (mostly) get stong and clear reception when I use my JVC VCR as the tuner. In the past, my 12+ year old, hand-me-down console t.v. has only been able to tune a few channels clearly. It never bothered me much because I had the VCR and I figured it was mostly an old t.v. issue.

Well, over winter I built a rec room/home theater in my basement. I used a splitter to run a coaxial cable off the antenna to the basement hoping with a new t.v., I would be able to receive a clear picture.

I just purchased a Sony Wega 27" t.v., and the reception when hooked to the rooftop antenna is just as bad as my older t.v. upstairs.

Is it just common for t.v.'s to not have strong receivers? Would a newer rooftop or attic antenna get better reception?

For the record, I have Dish Sat. services, but at the moment, cannot convince the wifey to spend the extra money for their local channel service, nor for the second sat. receiver so we can watch both upstairs and down.
Old 06-23-04, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Generally, TVs have worse receivers than VCRs.

Before you think about getting a new antenna, consider buying a signal amplifier from someplace like Radio Shack. They're pretty cheap and it worked for me.

For the cost of a new antenna, tripod and installation, you could probably pay your sat company for local channels and the additional receiver for at least a year.